Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-12-2017, 01:55 AM   #511
built2shred
Phoenix

From the mini reviews I would say it's pretty confirmed that Zack Snyder just sucks at story telling.... I really hope he doesn't come back to the DCU. The only reason MOS was pretty decent is because Nolan pretty much had the story all wrapped up before he handed it over to him. Snyder is fine with Action movies that don't really need a story like 300 but when you need some depth to the story he just sucks at it like Michael Bay does.... They both think a lack of story can be covered up with lots of explosions.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:36 AM   #512
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
From the mini reviews I would say it's pretty confirmed that Zack Snyder just sucks at story telling.... I really hope he doesn't come back to the DCU. The only reason MOS was pretty decent is because Nolan pretty much had the story all wrapped up before he handed it over to him. Snyder is fine with Action movies that don't really need a story like 300 but when you need some depth to the story he just sucks at it like Michael Bay does.... They both think a lack of story can be covered up with lots of explosions.
I don't disagree with your point about story telling ability. That said I think the comparison to a Bay is unfair. IMHO Snyder's shortcoming is that his narrative style is too abstract, nuanced and undefined for these types of IP's. It has it's merits, but it's not what a general audience typically wants from a CBM. I've come to feel that the best comparison to Snyder's BvS I can think of is the original Blade Runner.

All that said I honestly think that JL morphing from 5-6 hrs over two films into one 2 hr film is where Snyder and company got hamstrung. That it is as enjoyable as the early reactions insinuate is commendable IMHO and better than what I was expecting tbh.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:55 AM   #513
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Both Man of Steel & Batman V Superman had great stories in my opinion with a hell of a lot more depth than most films in this genre. Plenty of dramatic moments and solid character development in between those explosions.

Personally I love Snyder’s style and appreciate his serious take on the material as opposed to the more conventional comedic and often times cartoonish approach. That’s cool if others don’t agree, to each their own. He’s directed 3 of my favorite comic book films including the two mentioned above along with Watchmen so I hope we haven’t seen the last of him tackling this kind of material. That said I wouldn’t be surprised if this ends up being it for him given the amount of venom spit his way.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:25 AM   #514
SuperJ300
Zot

Quote:

I like Snyders style, but his story telling is all over the place. His films has gradually got boring since 300. Not much happening, just cool action scene at the end of his movies after an hour of boring story telling.
SuperJ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #515
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I'm staying away from any and all reviews until I see this thing for myself. Far too many people out there hoping and/or predicting this film will fail that I don't trust anything at this point.

That said I do have a few concerns, but they're probably the complete opposite of most of you here. Fist and foremost I'm worried they're going with a more lighthearted tone due to the criticism of MoS & BvS being too dark, serious and complex. Actions that actually have consequences, violence that wasn't cartoony and a layered narrative are the reasons I love those films. Secondly I'm concerned with the shorter run time and with the decision to trim down from two films to just one we're going to just blow through the events depicted here and in turn diminish the severity/impact of what transpires. Thirdly, with the success of WW I'm worried some of it's weaknesses will carry over to JL. Namely a weak antagonist, an over reliance on CGI and a rather shallow and by the numbers narrative.

My friend, I could not agree more.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #516
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
How was he a superjerk?

I thought MOS was the best portrayal of Superman so far (I just wish Nolan would of finished it)... Given when I was a kid I thought Christopher Reeve did an awesome job but those movies do not hold up to time very well, as an adult those Superman movies come off as VERY cheesy.
In fact if they had have shown him saving a few more people in amongst the fight scenes, I think a lot of the criticism wouldn’t have held any water whatsoever.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #517
statman
Baron Zemo

Quote:
How was he a superjerk?

I thought MOS was the best portrayal of Superman so far (I just wish Nolan would of finished it)... Given when I was a kid I thought Christopher Reeve did an awesome job but those movies do not hold up to time very well, as an adult those Superman movies come off as VERY cheesy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
In face if they had have shown him saving a few more people in amongst the fight scenes, I think a lot of the criticism wouldn’t have held any water whatsoever.
What Rich says would help to make him less of a superjerk, but the biggest thing that jerkifies Superman is the fact that he let his dad die when he could have easily saved him. So what if Pa Kent waved him off or his secret would have been blown? Clark supposedly loved his dad, but stood by and watched him die. That is the height of being a jerk. Of course, he did learn being a jerk from his adoptive parents, so maybe it wasn't his fault after all.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #518
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Both Man of Steel & Batman V Superman had great stories in my opinion with a hell of a lot more depth than most films in this genre. Plenty of dramatic moments and solid character development in between those explosions.

Personally I love Snyder’s style and appreciate his serious take on the material as opposed to the more conventional comedic and often times cartoonish approach. That’s cool if others don’t agree, to each their own. He’s directed 3 of my favorite comic book films including the two mentioned above along with Watchmen so I hope we haven’t seen the last of him tackling this kind of material. That said I wouldn’t be surprised if this ends up being it for him given the amount of venom spit his way.

Love MOS and BvS.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #519
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post

Love MOS and BvS.
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #520
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman View Post
What Rich says would help to make him less of a superjerk, but the biggest thing that jerkifies Superman is the fact that he let his dad die when he could have easily saved him. So what if Pa Kent waved him off or his secret would have been blown? Clark supposedly loved his dad, but stood by and watched him die. That is the height of being a jerk. Of course, he did learn being a jerk from his adoptive parents, so maybe it wasn't his fault after all.
In the smallville fight he saved the military guys several times, when Metropolis was getting a beat down he was on the other side of the earth trying to destroy the machine that was causing it.

The damage and deaths in metropolis was pretty much over by the time he got there. And when did get there Zod attacked him, sure they damaged a bunch of buildings during the fight but from the scenes the buildings looked empty. The only time they came across anyone was at that train station where Supes had to kill Zod to stop him from killing a innocent family. Even in that scene he didn't want to kill Zod, he begged Zod to stop and when he had no choice but to kill him it tore him up inside.

As for his Dad's death, Remember from a very young age Clark's Dad had kept telling him over and over that he had to stay hidden, that he couldn't show the world what he could do because people would be afraid of him, the government would come after him....

In that scene Clark was only about 18 given the conversation in the car as it sounded like he just graduated high school, all he knew at that time was that he was a Alien and nothing else.

His dad pretty much installed a lot a fear into Clark about his secret so I understand the scene.

The reason I like MOS is that it shows that he's flawed like everyone else. The scenes from Krypton shows that race was not perfect even with it's genetic engineering of their babies, Zod was proof of that. So why do people think Superman has to be this "Jesus" like being that ALWAYS makes the perfect decisions and never makes any mistakes?... That all he does is go around saving kittens from trees all day....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote