Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #631
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
7/10 for me. Enjoyable but nothing spectacular or epic as I was hoping.

Most of my fears were confirmed. Running time was too short. Narrative was paper thin. Villain was one note and completely uninspired. The serious/dark tone established in previous films was all but abandoned. Character development was massively trimmed down. Real world settings/scenarios were replaced with a more cartoonish looking environment. Action was by the numbers and not once did it feel like anything was really ever at stake despite the world apparently hanging in the balance. Basically this felt more like a zero stakes Marvel film than a DC film to me.

My score may actually be generous come to think of it but I enjoyed the characters for the most part. To my surprise I liked Aquaman the least, Cyborg turned out better than I expected and Flash was perfect. Superman was a high point and the final end credit scene was one of the best in the entire film.
You know how much i disagree with you their characterization in previous films but, that said, I do agree that this film needed much more punch to it since this is the JL. I also agree with you on Aquaman, Cyborg and Flash(Though he was more Wally than Barry). Superman was what he always should have been, and uplifting character that is hopeful and has heart.
Two of my favorite things:
Spoiler
Superman after pulling the mother boxes Apart: "I was wrong, I wish were dead" with a smile and a chuckle. I laugh and smiled. Batman and Superman at the end of the film, "How'd you get the house back from the Bank?", Bruce: "I bought the bank." Just a good moment between JL members, it's how it's been in the comics and how I think it should be in film.

Aquaman...what were they thinking??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
I was reading a deleted scene in which Steppenwolf did have his backstory explored more. The reason he so obsessed with “Mother“ is that he was looking to conquer earth to please her and garner her favour over his “younger brother” Darkseid. That’s where the “no lanterns, no kryptonian‘s“ speech in the trailers was from that that got cut from the movie.
Good, I might get this on Blu Ray just for that then. If it improves the plot and his narrative then I'd enjoy this a whole lot more, still a ton of improvements could be made, but they're on the right track with most of the characters.

Last edited by Josh-a-tron; 11-19-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:17 PM   #632
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
DCEU Opening Weekends:

1) BvS, $166 million, March 2016
2) Suicide Squad, $133 million, August 2016
3) Man of Steel, $116 million, June 2013
(This number would be $123 million in 2016.)
4) Wonder Woman, $103 million, June 2017
5) Justice League, $96 million (estimated, could go higher or lower), November 2017

This is a disaster if the Trinity plus three more characters can't outdraw MoS or WW.
Not even close to a disaster. It seems some people really want it to be though. It was a good fun movie full stop. Like ,you know, the MCU movies. Also MOS was the re-return of Superman to the Big Screen and less we forget and WW was also the first feature film for that character, not to mention the social stuff going on around it. It not making more than those two is no surprise. It was a fun movie that will probably have a good second week if people talk to actual people that see it instead of relying on rotten tomatoes which I have stopped even caring about. Look how strong the "word of mouth" is just in this thread.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #633
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander0Zero View Post
Not even close to a disaster. It seems some people really want it to be though. It was a good fun movie full stop. Like ,you know, the MCU movies. Also MOS was the re-return of Superman to the Big Screen and less we forget and WW was also the first feature film for that character, not to mention the social stuff going on around it. It not making more than those two is no surprise. It was a fun movie that will probably have a good second week if people talk to actual people that see it instead of relying on rotten tomatoes which I have stopped even caring about. Look how strong the "word of mouth" is just in this thread.
Cinemascore is a good site to see how well the general audience is reacting to it. It currently has a B+ rating, while BvS had a B and Wonder Woman an A. With this in mind and seeing how people in this thread and in facebook are commenting, I would say this will be better received than BvS, but not as well as Wonder Woman.

And the current box office is definitely worrying, considering the number of cinemas and countries the movie already aired and some articles saying the movie has to make around 600 millions just to break even. But I hope it does make a good amount of money, since I actually liked most of the movie and I hope they continue to invest in the DCEU.
Jesse Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #634
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander0Zero View Post
This is the shortest DCEU movie, which means that theaters were able to schedule more showtimes per auditorium than the others (excepting Suicide Squad, which runs for 2 hours 3 minutes). The opening was $30 million less than Suicide Squad, a movie that didn't have Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman.

When you consider that this is supposed to be the Avengers of the DCEU, it's a financial disaster, regardless of whether or not you personally enjoyed the movie.

For comparison:

Avengers: $207 mil opening weekend
Avengers 2: $191 mil opening weekend
Captain America 3 (aka Avengers 2.5): $179 mil opening weekend

JL couldn't even match Thor 3's opening weekend, and that's the third movie in what's generally regarded as the weakest of Marvel's "Trinity" (IM, CA, Thor).

Even Forbes's Scott Mendelson, who'd been writing for months about how JL doesn't need to be "big", called it a disaster in his article from today: https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...is-a-disaster/

Quote:
It is an odd thing to discuss a $96 million opening weekend as a calamity, but when the combined might of DC Comics’ biggest Super Friends opens smaller than a stand-alone Wonder Woman movie (at around half the budget), that’s bad. When the Super Friends movie sells not that many more tickets on opening weekend as the first (and 2D) Twilight on its debut weekend ($69m back in 2008), that’s bad. When recent history suggests that Justice League, even with the Thanksgiving holiday and the Christmas break, will be thrilled to earn a 2.26x (Man of Steel) to 2.35x (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part I) weekend-to-final multiplier, with a possibility of a 2x multiplier (Batman v Superman, the Twilight Saga sequels), an under-$100m debut is an outright disaster.
(Btw, I abhor the Marvel movies about as much as I abhor Zack Snyder's movies.)
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #635
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
For comparison:

Avengers: $207 mil opening weekend
Avengers 2: $191 mil opening weekend
Captain America 3 (aka Avengers 2.5): $179 mil opening weekend
That's actually not a very fair comparison. All 3 of those were Summer films that opened in what is arguably the strongest month of the year in May.

A better comparison would be the recent Bond and Harry Potter films, which were also November openings. Justice League's numbers are totally in line with those.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #636
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
A better comparison would be the recent Bond and Harry Potter films, which were also November openings. Justice League's numbers are totally in line with those.
Not when:
1) You factor inflation

2) DC Trinity plus 3 more members with 3D should whip 007's 2D butt, not be "in line".
Old 11-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #637
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Not when:
1) You factor inflation

2) DC Trinity plus 3 more members with 3D should whip 007's 2D butt, not be "in line".
It actually did beat Bond, by an average of 30 million more. It falls about 20 mil short of the Potter films that opened in November. My point, it's average is in line with other tent pole offerings released in the same month.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #638
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
It actually did beat Bond, by an average of 30 million more. It falls about 20 mil short of the Potter films that opened in November. My point, it's average is in line with other tent pole offerings released in the same month.
You may want to take a look at this:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime.../?mo=11&p=.htm

JL opened lower than all of the Hunger Games and Twilight movies that opened in November. Those movies were all 2D-only. Adjusted for inflation, JL got spanked by Katniss and Bella, big time.

Skyfall's $88 mil in 2012 would be $94 mil in 2016, and that movie only had 2D as well. This means that Skyfall sold more tickets than JL did.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #639
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Meh. I honestly couldn’t care less. I was just making the point it should be compared to films in the same month rather than genre and I disagree the totals so far are reason for concern.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:18 PM   #640
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

It might not have met box office projections, but I'm curious if the film has legs to stay in the top 10 for a while (which would say a lot). It's a fun film overall and damn entertaining.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote