Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #511
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Okay...and how much to get it from the approved territories to your door? Another collector mentioned it cost them $850 or $875, which is reasonable, but that's double the difference. And assuming your extra costs were nominal, how many collectors get this same hook-up if they weren't on board day one? If you bought two, would you sell one for anywhere near the "$100-$150" more?

The part where you say "keep in mind you get the best QC on the market and a lot of extras to boot" is more than sufficient an argument. I don't understand the need to pretend that the price disparity doesn't exist. I don't have a Phoenix, and on Thursday I can either spend $500 + $40 shipping on Sideshow's, or look around and possibly find the XM Phoenix for $1000-$1200 + $100 shipping, if I'm lucky. That's double, and that's the relevant price point going forward. Repeating that it's "only" $150 more is like me telling people who want the new Spidey PF that the comiquette is a way better buy because it retailed at $350. The fact that some people got it for $350 in 2010 is irrelevant because most would have to pay $1200-1500 today.

While you were savvy enough, quick enough, or lucky enough to pay $650 for Phoenix, that's not the going rate for that piece right now, and the going rate is the relevant price point for comparison for the majority of collectors going forward. There was a very brief window for a select few to nab the XM Phoenix for retail price, while Sideshow's Phoenix, taking the regular in consideration, will be available at $500 for a long time, even on the after-market. That's why, despite price hikes, Sideshow pieces will continue to sell. It's a $500 Phoenix vs a $1000+ Phoenix, not $500 vs what you paid.

Is this any different than people who pay/paid upwards of $2K for Doom, Gambit or the Spiderman Comiquette?

XM pieces are like SS pieces were back in the day. Small edition number, perfect QC, great designs (not saying they don't have them now!) but a challenge to get.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:56 PM   #512
Morgul Steve
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Well ignoring the base this is statue perfection right here.
I hope the her lovely figure details survive a few generations of the casting process.
That bird chest emblem will have to arrive flawless.

They so got the pose and body sculpt. I love the hair too.
There is no way in hell the production piece will look this good (at least not the face). SS has not been able to replicate the beautiful faces on any of their PFs. Rogue, Red Sonja, Queen of the Dead all looked beautiful on the prototype but all fell short on the production piece. But if they can just get close I think she will look great.
Morgul Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #513
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
Based on some of their recent female releases that were well received (Batgirl, Power Girl, Kerrigan, Machiko, etc.), I don't see too many ways this could go wrong in production.

It seems to be an overall simple piece as far as paint apps go. There's always the ever present danger of wonky eyes on the EX, but I feel they've shown improvement in that area too.
Usually SS factory paint applications come out bland compared to the prototype, my only worry would be the suit looking more red/orange then red... Same thing with the portraits, even with batgirl and power girl the faces don't pop quite as good as they did on the prototypes due to bland paint applications.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #514
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I would like to think that SS will pay close attention to her face because it's the ONLY part of her that's exposed.

I don't have the Jean from SS. Was her face flatter in tones than the proto?
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #515
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverine View Post
I have also been saying this, I really hope SS Phoenix will look 80% like the proto masterpaint. I know its not fair too ask the 100%
I think SS will look much better than 80%. Their recent pieces have indicated the QC is definitely much better as a whole...Hulk PF head issue not withstanding. I just received my Pinhead PF last week and it turned out quite impressive...but indeed a little on the small side (in comparison with other 1/4 PFs...but still bigger than the first Green Lantern PF from SS).
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #516
enigmatikone
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul Steve View Post
There is no way in hell the production piece will look this good (at least not the face). SS has not been able to replicate the beautiful faces on any of their PFs. Rogue, Red Sonja, Queen of the Dead all looked beautiful on the prototype but all fell short on the production piece. But if they can just get close I think she will look great.
I disagree.
Batgirl, Classic Catwoman and Kerrigan are just three examples that come to mind immediately, and they've come pretty damned close on all of the statues I own.
I know you said "beautiful" faces, but the Pinhead figure in particular has an outstanding paint app as well.
enigmatikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #517
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

LOL!
For a 1/4 Juggernaut statue I always make room even if it would mean that I would have to sell my couch and sit on the floor.
Once you have become a fan of Juggernaut you are in it for life so this big behemoth will always find a place underneath my roof.

Let's hope Juggy is on his way Supermetroid!

Rainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
No room for 1/4 Juggernaut?
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #518
Silverine
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Okay...and how much to get it from the approved territories to your door? Another collector mentioned it cost them $850 or $875, which is reasonable, but that's double the difference. And assuming your extra costs were nominal, how many collectors get this same hook-up if they weren't on board day one? If you bought two, would you sell one for anywhere near the "$100-$150" more?

The part where you say "keep in mind you get the best QC on the market and a lot of extras to boot" is more than sufficient an argument. I don't understand the need to pretend that the price disparity doesn't exist. I don't have a Phoenix, and on Thursday I can either spend $500 + $40 shipping on Sideshow's, or look around and possibly find the XM Phoenix for $1000-$1200 + $100 shipping, if I'm lucky. That's double, and that's the relevant price point going forward. Repeating that it's "only" $150 more is like me telling people who want the new Spidey PF that the comiquette is a way better buy because it retailed at $350. The fact that some people got it for $350 in 2010 is irrelevant because most would have to pay $1200-1500 today.

While you were savvy enough, quick enough, or lucky enough to pay $650 for Phoenix, that's not the going rate for that piece right now, and the going rate is the relevant price point for comparison for the majority of collectors going forward. There was a very brief window for a select few to nab the XM Phoenix for retail price, while Sideshow's Phoenix, taking the regular in consideration, will be available at $500 for a long time, even on the after-market. That's why, despite price hikes, Sideshow pieces will continue to sell. It's a $500 Phoenix vs a $1000+ Phoenix, not $500 vs what you paid.
Tbh for the people who missed the XM Phoenix and cant buy the XM Phoenix on secondary market.
The SS piece is a good second choice, as some even like it more as the XM piece. As for me as owner of the XM piece I can say SS looks just as good right now both have plus and negative feedback on some parts. So for people with a jean grey Phoenix wish cant go wrong with this one or XM but if it was me I would not pay 1600-2000 for the XM piece the 650 dollars retail was perfect for me. Same for the SS piece if it ever reaches 2K I can never buy it again but 500 if you really love the character for me its a okay price but it did rise a fair amount.
Silverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #519
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Is this any different than people who pay upwards of $2K for Doom, Gambit or the Spiderman Comiquette?

XM pieces are like SS pieces were back in the day. Small edition number, perfect QC, great designs (not saying they don't have them now!) but a challenge to get.
You're right, it's the same. It's after-market appreciation due to demand. But my point is, when this Dark Phoenix goes up, collectors who have neither have to choose between paying $500 for this one, or $1000+ for the XM. Many will still choose the latter, which is fine. But saying the Sideshow piece isn't worth $500 because the XM piece is only $150 more doesn't make sense because that option ($650 XM Phoenix) isn't there for collectors anymore.

It's always funny to me how collectors completely ignore the secondary market when talking about prices. Everyone talks like value is an objective, measurable thing, ignoring the fact that the existence of the secondary market, and pieces like Doom selling for 10x+ original retail, completely blows that idea out of the water. I remember when Doom was first shown, when the PF line was new, and $300 was a hard sell. Imagine if Sideshow tried to retail the Doom for $2500 from the jump?
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #520
enigmatikone
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Same thing with the portraits, even with batgirl and power girl the faces don't pop quite as good as they did on the prototypes due to bland paint applications.
Sorry you got a bad one, the eyes alone on my Batgirl are ridiculously good. I posted a pic a while back if you're curious.
enigmatikone is offline   Reply With Quote