Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #21
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
The new costume by Sean Gordon Murphy will appear in #27.

Well, looks like Babs might be returning to my pull list at the LCS, finally. I'm sure this will be sacrilege to Gothie, but I never particularly cared for the Burnside iteration of Babs. I felt she was too ditzy and had undergone a personality overhaul (downgrade?) from her Gotham City days. Wasn't nuts about the new togs either. The new costume ain't great but it's a reasonable middle ground between Burnside and 52 (which I was mostly cool with) and reminds me of her All-Star costume. I dug Cassie as well, but really wish they had given Steph more time in the cowl as I thought she was written well and had potential. Oh well. The only tactile manifestation I have of her is a DC Direct action figure. Here's hoping Babs' new look and writing work out.
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:35 PM   #22
Gothamite
Phoenix

Joe, you still need to start with Annual #2 and Batgirl #25, which means you'll see the last uses of the Burnside outfit.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:55 PM   #23
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

I get mine in TPB only. But I do make sure to buy Batgirl when ever it's available.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #24
protector2814
Phoenix

Just read the Batgirl #2 Annual after a recommendation here on the forum. It's the 1st Batgirl I've read in a while & it was a bit different since the last time I'd read her. I found Scott's story a welcomed return to classic Bat-detective work. No super-costumed-villains, no team-ups, no aliens, just Barbara on her bike combing the city for answers. Honestly, as a reader of classic crime fiction, I found this take more akin to that then the modern, traditional (of late), DC comics. It did have a bit too much of that dark CSI/Law & Order' nihilism I've never (& thankfully) quite gotten used to, but that's really my only complaint; just a bit too dark to be downright fun. That's semi-hypocritical coming from me 'cause I love what Mark Millar's doing right now w/ Magic The Order, & that's darker than hell but still fun. Elena Casagrande's art is strong in this annual & very effective. I just watched Scream the other night w/ my 18 year old, so the book hit on another weird cylinder too. Bottom line - strong annual & I think I'll start picking this book up.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #25
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Just read the Batgirl #2 Annual after a recommendation her on the forum. It's the 1st Batgirl I've read in a while & it was a bit different since the last time I'd read her. I found Scott's story a welcomed return to classic Bat-detective work. No super-costumed-villains, no team-ups, no aliens, just Barbara on her bike combing he city for answers. Honestly, as a reader of classic crime fiction, I found this take more akin to that then the modern, traditional (of late), DC comics. It did have a bit too much of that dark CSI/Law & Order' nihilism I've never (& thankfully) quite gotten used to, but that's really my only complaint; just a bit too dark to be downright fun. That's semi-hypocritical coming from me 'cause I love what Mark Millar's doing right now w/ Magic The Order, & that's darker than hell but still fun. Elena Casagrande's art is strong in this annual & very effective. I just watched Scream the other night w/ my 18 year old, so the book hit on another weird cylinder too. Bottom line - strong annual & I think I'll start picking this book up.
Yay! Glad you enjoyed it!

With regards to the title being "too dark", that may've been a decision made due to how some people were unhappy that the Burnside version seemed to be geared towards tweens and teens. The current villain, Grotesque, is pretty gruesome (as indicated by his name). But yes, Batgirl is back to actual sleuthing now.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #26
protector2814
Phoenix

I did enjoy it! Thanks for the nudge.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #27
Augen
The Hulk

Read the three issues and have to say my impressions over all are very positive. Solid writing and characterization with some good action and conversations. I was surprised how dark and violent with graphic murder depictions were handled, but that's on me for not being up the character than any sort of value judgment of the work. Her relationship with her brother is about as dark as I can imagine. I loved the bittersweet line about stars and darkness and how she maintains optimism in the face of such horror.

My favorite part was actually visually showing Barbara's confusion and disorientation in a fight. She loses, but get this amazing panel of her picking herself back up determined to go on. I eat that stuff up in comics.

I'll check out next month's issue as ended with a cliff hanger so need to see where it goes.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #28
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Read the three issues and have to say my impressions over all are very positive. Solid writing and characterization with some good action and conversations. I was surprised how dark and violent with graphic murder depictions were handled, but that's on me for not being up the character than any sort of value judgment of the work. Her relationship with her brother is about as dark as I can imagine. I loved the bittersweet line about stars and darkness and how she maintains optimism in the face of such horror.

My favorite part was actually visually showing Barbara's confusion and disorientation in a fight. She loses, but get this amazing panel of her picking herself back up determined to go on. I eat that stuff up in comics.

I'll check out next month's issue as ended with a cliff hanger so need to see where it goes.
Yeah, Scott's take on the character harkens back to Gail Simone's run during the New 52. I really liked the use of splash dots in the Annual issue, which made the pages feel gritty instead of clean and shiny.

Thank you for supporting at least one story arc!
Old 09-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #29
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I'm starting the Rebirth Batgirl series from the beginning. I just finished the first four Hope Larson issues and it turns out I've read them before and just forgot over the past few years. Fun stuff... the art was jarring at first, but you adapt to it quickly with the fun and action of the story.

I'll make it to the current stuff soon enough!
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #30
Augen
The Hulk

I tend to favor more colorful heroes, but I liked Barbara in these and am fine with the gritty aesthetic as she still behaves like a great hero.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote