Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-28-2016, 04:43 PM   #1
Roygbiv666
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Commission Contracts

Hi

A few threads provide details on problems with artists delivering commissions on time, poor communication, etc.

I've started commissioning some works from artists on a "work for hire" basis and include in the email a contract attachment, explaining WFH and setting up terms like when they are to deliver the goods and how much they get paid, etc.

That's a bit more formal than is required in a regular commission, as I was doing it for inclusion in a comic and didn't want any ambiguity about who holds the copyright, etc.

Anyway, how clear are you guys in spelling out your requirements in terms of timing, money, refunds? A contract technically only requires three parts:
1. Offer (I want an 11x17 pencil and ink commission of the Wasp doin' it with the Atom, delivered within 2 months, and if not I get a full refund)
2. Consideration (I'll pay $200 for it)
3. Acceptance (artists says "OK")

Does anyone structure their emails like that to provide some kind of way of avoiding these problems?
Roygbiv666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
CJ82

I'm generally not structured but am starting to think maybe I should be. I'll usually ask specifically if they are available to start immediately, if not what sort of a timeline I can expect.

It's up in the air if they hold true to it or not..

I like to keep things informal and casual but am starting to think I need to lay things out more strictly. On the other hand don't want to scare them away and seem like a hardass client. It's kind of a balancing act sometimes.
CJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
Doc McCoy
Mephisto

I always try to spell out my expectations and get a clear indication of when I should expect the art to be finished. And I very rarely will pay up front anymore. I will pay upon completion, or a percentage. If an artist insists upon full payment up front, I do one of two things, I walk, or I'll pay them through Pay Pal and cover the fees myself. That way they get exactly the amount they have asked for and I still have the option of getting my money back should they not meet the deadline we agreed upon.
Doc McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

I also pay with paypal but don't offer to cover the fees. I only do that if they insist. otherwise I view it as their cost of doing business.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #5
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

A contract is a great idea. I have not been overly insistent on this in the past. I prefer to do a lot of homework in researching the artist and commission opportunity. In talking to the artist and other collectors (especially any that have worked with the artist) I can usually get a good sense of whether or not they are an artist I want to enter into an agreement with. At that point I either feel confident and will move forward, or have any uneasy feelings and usually will not move forward. Point being: don’t substitute a contract for due diligence. A contract is not really worth all that much if you rush into a commission with an artist that has a troublesome reputation or gives you a low level of confidence. This has served me pretty well so far (knock on wood).

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
Behold Gravitas
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
I also pay with paypal but don't offer to cover the fees. I only do that if they insist. otherwise I view it as their cost of doing business.

I will go this route, unless it's an artist I've had multiple commission experiences and can count on to deliver.

JG has the appropriate sentiment, too, on Ks. The general dollar value of a lot of commissions may not be worth the hassle of trying to get the K enforced in court (if not outright laughed out). The enforceable K because it was written on a napkin (or receipt in Lucy v Zehmer for we lawyers who remember our 1L material) is still a tough road to travel. Our own due diligence, namely from research here and the greater comic art community, will serve us much better.
Behold Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:19 PM   #7
Roygbiv666

I agree 100% with due diligence. I guess my point is, a contract doesn't need to consist of 50 pages of legalese, it just has three parts and if you cover all of them, you have a legit contract.

What good that does you is another matter.
Roygbiv666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #8
SwanShadow
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roygbiv666 View Post
I want an 11x17 pencil and ink commission of the Wasp doin' it with the Atom...
So YOU'RE that guy.
SwanShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #9
Doc McCoy
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
I agree. My comment about paying the fees mainly applies to an artist I would really like a piece from, but may have requested a friend/family payment to avoid fees.
Doc McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote