Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-28-2016, 10:52 PM   #111
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
A Ron Lim or Jim Starlin portrait is a must on this. Anything else is simply fail. I could care less if there was cloth or fully sculpted as I like both but enough of the artistic interpretation especially iconic characters.
Strong post there.

Unfortunately from the image shown this will already deviate from Thanos's iconic representation by the extra details on his suit. XM already did that and I wasn't impressed. Thanos's appeal is his body proportions, size, musculature and face. He's too busy with whatever task at hand to be concerned with ornate apparel.

A good Starlin AND Lim head would be great but hard to accomplish. Not usually Sideshow's style. This may make a classic green thong Gamora even more missed.

And I can't help but laugh at any faith in the use of fabric. His suit is ALWAYS depicted as a 2nd skin with nary a crease. It doesn't even have a texture of a fabric. The only things close Sideshow has done is Batman, Superman, and Catwoman. Modern Batman came out best but Thanos ain't wearing pantyhose like the Mego dolls and we all know how Catwoman's latex turned out.

I have hopes but can't let them get too high. The Sideshow Diorama was going to be my first statue and actually got me to join Sideshow Freaks. Then the thing was finally shown and I hated it so much I stayed away from statues for 5 years.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:57 AM   #112
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Marvel has a lot of great villans, but Thanos has always held the #1 position for me, and by a significant margin. IMO, he's just a must have villain if your going to collect Marvel statues. Am very interested in seeing how this piece turns out!!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:45 AM   #113
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo View Post
Our Cut & Sew team have done some amazing things lately and in the past, I love how people get hung up on one or two examples of the "pj look" and forget all the home runs. If we DID go cut & sew on this, it would have been if we did a standing pose, and Im confident that Tim Hanson and team would have found something out of this world that would have worked great. In the end, there are people who think Cut & Sew ANYTHING is a fail, just like "1:4 SCALE OR FAIL!" or calling 1:6 figures "Dolls." Zero convincing those types of anything. Ill bet they have never tried a fried egg on a burger "EGGS ARE BREAKFAST FOOD BRO!"

Im very pro Cut & Sew when it makes sense, in this case it didnt, so with that said, he's all sculpt… and 1:4 scale, and he'll be big. Unfortunately, not at SDCC, he got a slight delay so you'll see him soon after SDCC.
Great post, thx for that and I fully understand that it would'v been a bit complicated to put cloths on him for that pose. Since he's a bit off from the comic-look I might pass, but here's hopings that you guys will do another take on him with fabric, standing pose and classic look, although I like the idea of the Throne a lot... might give in when I see the final pics.
equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #114
bonedaddy77
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Passed on previous Thanos due to being 1/5 scale so pumped to see 1/4 coming
bonedaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #115
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Marvel has a lot of great villans, but Thanos has always held the #1 position for me, and by a significant margin. IMO, he's just a must have villain if your going to collect Marvel statues. Am very interested in seeing how this piece turns out!!
He's 1B for me. Doom being 1A.

Magnito, Red Skull and Loki round out the top five.

Big G doesn't count. You don't question the morality of ants
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #116
Armored_Berserk
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post

Don't forget Apocalypse!
Armored_Berserk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #117
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Thanos is not only my #1 villain but my #1 comic character. Bold I know. But I prefer reading anything involved with him more than a Batman, Iron Man, Spidey etc. I have the SS Comiquette and love it. I do agree with whoever stated before that it looks like his outfit is a 2nd skin though. That is why I didn't understand a lot of the XM criticism... it was pretty spot on.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #118
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post

Green Goblin is well above all of those you have listed and by a long margin.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #119
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Green Goblin is well above all of those you have listed and by a long margin.
That's just my personal list. Green Goblin takes a back seat to Venom for my fav Spidey rouge.

If we're talking most important and influential bad guys I can see him being on that list but I think Norman is small potatoes when compared to those five.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #120
Cougrcrumby
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

I have 40 long boxes of comics from being a 10 year old on up. I only have a few rare books of thanos even appearing in. For me he doesn't even break the top 20 of marvel villains. Growing up it was all about spiders rogues and the xmens villains. Doc Doom and Ultron. Thanos is ok but think back 15 years....did anyone really even know who he was? Well, maybe I was living under a rock and just plain missed the greatness that is Thanos. Anyone have any recommended reading material for me to support your case? I do have the infinity gauntlet series. A statue is going to have to be pretty bad ass if I'm going to buy another thanos statue that is better than my Bowen one. I collect 1/6th and 1/4th and no one is going to be able to convince me that all 1/4ths are better that all 1/6ths
Cougrcrumby is offline   Reply With Quote