Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #511
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Agreed! This is one of the best and most original series I've encountered in 40+ years of reading comics. I loved every issue, and it led to my trying other works by all of the writers and artists involved. I discovered this series at a time when I was considering giving up on comics entirely, and it renewed my faith in the medium.
I'm so glad/happy that this was around at the perfect time to keep you in the comics readership!

Although the subject matter is very different, it reminded me somewhat of The Maxx in how it was so trippy and yet still grounded while just being all around enjoyable.

Did you happen to read the sorta companion series, Glory? I only have the first two TPBs on that, so I'll have to read that in its entirety later when I purchase the whole story.

What other titles did you end up enjoying from these creators? I've wanted to try Brandon Graham's King City and Shutter, but haven't gotten to them yet.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:38 PM   #512
Babytoxie
Ghost

The ones I recommend are:

Brandon Graham - King City is all kinds of genres thrown together, and a lot of fun.

Simon Roy - Tiger Lung is prehistoric fantasy, and my favorite of those follow-up works that I read. Jan's Atomic Heart is a collection of sci-fi shorts.

Glory was okay. It started strong, but the ending was pretty weak.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #513
AlexLothos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
The ones I recommend are:

Brandon Graham - King City is all kinds of genres thrown together, and a lot of fun.

Simon Roy - Tiger Lung is prehistoric fantasy, and my favorite of those follow-up works that I read. Jan's Atomic Heart is a collection of sci-fi shorts.

Glory was okay. It started strong, but the ending was pretty weak.
Sweet! I'll make sure to look for King City and now Simon Roy (I don't think I've heard of this one before).

Arg, that sucks to hear about Glory.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #514
AlexLothos

All-New Wolverine #1-35 & Annual #1
Marvel Comics

I never read the Death of Wolverine stuff, but I heard Laura would take his mantle afterwards. I was curious how it would work out and I was surprised to see how well it worked. Tom Taylor crafted a lot of great stories full of action, drama, emotion, and a lot of unexpected humor. He also introduced us to Gabby aka Honey Badger, which is possibly one of the best code-names given to a character ever. I look forward to reading the new X-23 series!
Old 09-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #515
AlexLothos

Border Town #1
Vertigo

I tend to buy Image and Vertigo books without knowing much about them as I'm usually pleasantly surprised. This is another unexpected gem. Subject matter like this could come off as preachy or pandering, but the writing does a great job of feeling natural as it informs and entertains. Fun characters, plus I'm a sucker for cryptozoology and Aztec mythology. I look forward to reading more!

Last edited by AlexLothos; 09-13-2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Used a less obnoxiously large cover image
Old 09-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #516
AlexLothos

Morning Glories TPBs 1-10
Image/Shadowline

Lost meets Battle Royale, this series uses the "puzzle box" style of storytelling well producing an engaging and surprising tale with fun and interesting characters. But like most "puzzle box" stories, once it's time to reveal and explain... things begin to fall apart. The ending is said to just be a "season ender," with more intended stories to come... but that was back in mid 2016. I'd be interested in seeing more, but more is doubtful... leaving the current ending a great disappointment to a story with so much potential.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:23 AM   #517
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Black Butler, vol. 20-26 7/10

It was not bad, Ciel's boy band against Blavat's boy band was funny... made me feel like i'm not the target audiance once again... lol Girls especially fujoshis must be going nuts for this manga. It's the most girly shounen i have ever read... lol But there's a darkness about this manga that pulls me as well. vol.26 had a pretty big reveale about one of the main characters, Ciel Phantomhive. I wish it wasn't spoiled to me beforehand... thanks to unthoughtfulness of Kuro----suji discord group members... :/ But it was big reveale never the less.

The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:13 PM   #518
Gothamite
Phoenix

Batman 55

Oh, man,

Spoiler
Nightwing just got shot in the head!
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:43 AM   #519
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Batman 55

Oh, man,

Spoiler
Nightwing just got shot in the head!
It was all over newsarama and cbr, is there anyone who doesn't know about this by now ? lol

Spoiler
It seems they will repeat the Bruce Wayne memory lose in Snyder run with Dick Grayson with this head shot
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #520
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
It was all over newsarama and cbr, is there anyone who doesn't know about this by now ? lol

Spoiler
It seems they will repeat the Bruce Wayne memory lose in Snyder run with Dick Grayson with this head shot
I don't follow comics websites. They're run by people who are lousy writers, and the sites are filled with annoying ads.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote