Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 01-28-2020, 10:50 PM   #41
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
The reason I probably won't pick it up. Looks amazing, but I try to steer clear of clear/blue translucent resin as best as I can. Hopefully that's not an issue here, though.
Resin yellowing occurs due to UV exposure, so it's even more important than usual to keep such items out of sunlight and other UV sources. A closet that I can close off, and LEDs only, is my preferred Iceman cave!

XM made a statement a while back, regarding using a new polyresin for this. You can still read it on their Iceman page (https://www.xm-studios.com/products/iceman.aspx)

Hopefully it's not just marketing BS. This particular Iceman is not really clear, however. So whether the resin is opaque (or just painted on the surface), that will help reduce UV exposure getting to the actual resin.

All that said, there are resin additives available to prevent yellowing (UV stabilizer, and HALS), and hopefully XM have utilized them. Read about them here if you like:

https://www.artresin.com/blogs/artre...vent-yellowing

XM (and maybe Prime 1) would probably be the only producer that may go to such lengths. I doubt a private commission or Sideshow would spend the money or time.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #42
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Resin yellowing occurs due to UV exposure, so it's even more important than usual to keep such items out of sunlight and other UV sources. A closet that I can close off, and LEDs only, is my preferred Iceman cave!

XM made a statement a while back, regarding using a new polyresin for this. You can still read it on their Iceman page (https://www.xm-studios.com/products/iceman.aspx)

Hopefully it's not just marketing BS. This particular Iceman is not really clear, however. So whether the resin is opaque (or just painted on the surface), that will help reduce UV exposure getting to the actual resin.

All that said, there are resin additives available to prevent yellowing (UV stabilizer, and HALS), and hopefully XM have utilized them. Read about them here if you like:

https://www.artresin.com/blogs/artre...vent-yellowing

XM (and maybe Prime 1) would probably be the only producer that may go to such lengths. I doubt a private commission or Sideshow would spend the money or time.
Hey, thanks for the info. Interesting that it's a resin they developed. Yeah, I'd hope they'd take the proper precautions, but that's just too big of a chunk of change for me to bet on it. I'd feel better if they stated that they added the stabilizer and HALS to the mixture...maybe that's a question to ask.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:26 PM   #43
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
Hey, thanks for the info. Interesting that it's a resin they developed. Yeah, I'd hope they'd take the proper precautions, but that's just too big of a chunk of change for me to bet on it. I'd feel better if they stated that they added the stabilizer and HALS to the mixture...maybe that's a question to ask.
Yeah, I'd like confirmation either way. I'm not big into social media, or I'd have asked already.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #44
austintheng
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Iceman would be shipping soon in Q2 this year according to XM shipping updates.

I'm considering whether or not to get Iceman.. He looks like the best Iceman statue in the market for sure.. Would be a pity if I missed this out.. given the ES is only 400...
austintheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:12 PM   #45
Ish3183
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintheng View Post
Iceman would be shipping soon in Q2 this year according to XM shipping updates.

I'm considering whether or not to get Iceman.. He looks like the best Iceman statue in the market for sure.. Would be a pity if I missed this out.. given the ES is only 400...
Hopefully they can keep to that timeline but seems wishful thinking given the current situation.

For Iceman, I think you'll still have an opportunity to pick him up after some initial in hand pics.
Ish3183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #46
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Ya i think the timeline is going to be messed up for all statues, i think its going to take months if not a year or two before it kinda fixes itself.

I'm very much excited to see in hand pics/reviews before buying, only cause he's going to be expensive. I'm really hoping to see what sideshow comes up with their iceman before i make the plunge.
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #47
austintheng

Just ordered XM Iceman with flexi payment plan. Couldn't resist.. Can't wait to add him into my X-Men fam collection!
Old 04-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #48
XMAN
Ultron

This piece is going to look sweet in my collection..... This piece is very dynamic with a reasonable footprint I think a lot of people will tend to pass on this piece simply because I believe in it needs to be seen in person otherwise it may look a little bit on the plain side
Compared to other X-Men
XMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:22 PM   #49
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAN View Post
This piece is going to look sweet in my collection..... This piece is very dynamic with a reasonable footprint I think a lot of people will tend to pass on this piece simply because I believe in it needs to be seen in person otherwise it may look a little bit on the plain side
Compared to other X-Men
He is very cool looking, mostly i want to see how his portrait turns out, was kinda bummed they didn't go with the smiling ice man. I'm concerned about the ice around his hand looks like it will break easily.

Still considering adding him tho looks like he should be shipping soonish.
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:54 AM   #50
austintheng

This piece is the most detailed Iceman I have ever seen (based on photos). The other custom Iceman are mostly clear translucent resin but XM Iceman isn't, it is painted and it has the kind of semi translucent effect look. It has shading, highlights and texture. Very outstanding piece! It's why I decided to cave in and order it. ES is 400, I knew I had to get this piece first before any other SS pieces that I want cause those are thousands of pieces, they won't sell out fast.

I've also asked Alex from XM regarding the material whether it would suffer any resin yellowing. Based on what he said, they have age tested this piece and had no issues with the material. Kudos to their great work! Can't wait to see this in hand!