Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches > Ron Lim

Old 05-14-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
Sam
Hydra

The Infinity Gauntlet

I decided to do someting very special for my little brother for his birthday. He has helped me tremendously in the wake of my wife's passing in 2010, and I decided to find something that he has always wanted, but never expected. To that end, I decided to try for a page from The Infinity Gauntlet, his all-time favorite comic storyline. Then I found out what those babies cost. Um, no.

I came across this forum and learned about Galactus and his friendship with Ron Lim. So, with Galactus's help I commissioned a piece (I can't call it a sketch) starring The Infinity Gauntlet. Oh, and Thanos is wearing it (like it would be anyone else?). This is the result.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
Sam
Hydra

The story continues...

As some of you more observant members may notice, the gauntlet is on the wrong hand. The truth is, it was a goof. They happen. Ron offered to do it again, but said it might be a while before he could do it. Well, my brother's birthday is approaching, and I really want the physical piece, plus I'm planning to get it colored and framed. PLUS, the piece is SPOT ON what I had asked for except for that one little detail of it being backward. I came up with an idea and decided to flip the piece around using my Paint program and with some careful editing of the signature the problem is solved. Now I have a proper scan to send to the colorist, and Ron can send the original to me for me to give to my brother. I even decided to do something different from my original plan and have the pieces side by side in a mirror image with the colored piece on one side and the original on the other. (It turned out great btw!)

Galactus was even kind enough to put me in touch with a colorist for being such a good sport about the whole thing.

That was really great of you too dude.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

that is unreal! Your bro must be pumped! Great piece!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
Sam
Hydra

And the conclusion

Yep, that's not the end. Not only was I able to get the piece colored, but Ron even sent me along another surprise for my patience, and for me being a good sport. Did I mention that Ron Lim's run on Captain America produced some of my absolute favorite stories AND ARTWORK of the entire series when I was a teenager? Well, I didn't mention it to him either, so I guess he's a mind reader because he sent me THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was like it was MY birthday too (and it sorta was because my birthday is in April)!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Rocket
Art of Mod

Congrats Sam, awesome gesture and amazing piece!!

Ron and Drew are legendary
Old 05-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #6
Sam
Hydra

I guess it really DOES pay not to be an ass when things don't go exactly how you want them to.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
Sam
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher1919 View Post
that is unreal! Your bro must be pumped! Great piece!!!
Dude, when I saw the scan I was !

The actual piece is even better!! The Cap was a total SHOCKER!! Galactus had told me Ron was including a little something extra for me, but I wasn't expecting THAT!
Old 05-14-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
DRL
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

congrats man! both pieces look awesome!
Old 05-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #9
MrYac
Hercules

congrats on the 2 excellent pieces would love to see the mirrored gauntlets when you get it set up, and sorry to hear about your wife, good thing you seem to have a strong family backing you up.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:54 AM   #10
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Congrats to both you and your brother on some fantastic pieces.