Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #21
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
This basically means that the dollar just dropped to 66%. Ouchie.
If it was JUST this duty surcharge, or JUST the currency, or JUST price increases, I could take it on the chin, but all three? Ridiculous.

I'll be cancelling lots of stuff today.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #22
dood
Kindly Asked To Leave

On the bright side I have $1000 worth of reward points

On the downside FedEX and CBSA are assessing duty and tax on freight charges (which is illegal) as well as redemption value of coupons

Looks like I'll self-clear my parcels, stop ordering statues, and redeem all my reward points

It's a 10% increase in cost across the board after currency conversion

Ridiculous but oh well
Old 01-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #23
ambasah
Red Skull

I know the UK guys were able to "fight" to get the proper (and cheaper) tax code there...maybe we can do the same?
Old 01-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #24
dood
Kindly Asked To Leave

They weren't and the same code applies to them

They get confused with the VAT tax which is totally separate from duty
Old 01-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #25
dood
Kindly Asked To Leave

Glad I'm in Alberta and not the other crappy provinces that pay 12-13% verses 5% for sales tax
Old 01-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #26
Johnneeukca
New Republic

For what it's worth I have just reviewed the CBSA tariff for 2017. It may help clear up some of our thoughts about coding. In short, gentlemen, and ladies, it appears that we are screwed:

Any statues that are covered under Section XXI, Chapter 97: "Works of Art, Collectors' Pieces and Antiques'art and collectibles" are zero tariff. However, Chapter 97 specifically states that mass-produced collectibles are NOT included in that section, even if designed or produced by an artist.

Our collectibles now fall under a provision of Section VII: 'plastics, and products thereof' in the MASSIVE Chapter 39 of the Act. The code SS are now using is code 39.26 which encompasses "Other articles of plastics and articles of other materials ... Statuettes and other ornamental articles".

Another point of note is that Chapter 95, "toys and sports requisites", makes no mention of statues and, specifically, Item 95(k) states that Chapter 95 does not include "goods of plastics", but refers you back to Chapter 39 which, hereafter will be referred to as the "Canadian Collectors Are F@&cked" chapter.

Last edited by Johnneeukca; 01-05-2017 at 02:29 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #27
ambasah
Red Skull

----. now I have to be very careful when buying from other collectors. I guess they should mark the package a "toy" to make sure I don't pay duty?
Old 01-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #28
Johnneeukca
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post
----. now I have to be very careful when buying from other collectors. I guess they should mark the package a "toy" to make sure I don't pay duty?
You should be okay as long as they don't open it. But for what I understand (if I'm reading it right) 'toys' has been restricted to sports equipment type stuff such as bicycles, balls, equipment, etc. You may as well ship it labelled 'parts'.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #29
dood
Kindly Asked To Leave

You can thank this man...

I love how the red head beside him is trying her best not to laugh

https://youtu.be/gp_O3liJpu8
Old 01-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #30
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnneeukca View Post
For what it's worth I have just reviewed the CBSA tariff for 2017. It may help clear up some of our thoughts about coding. In short, gentlemen, and ladies, it appears that we are screwed:

Any statues that are covered under Section XXI, Chapter 97: "Works of Art, Collectors' Pieces and Antiques'art and collectibles" are zero tariff. However, Chapter 97 specifically states that mass-produced collectibles are NOT included in that section, even if designed or produced by an artist.

Our collectibles now fall under a provision of Section VII: 'plastics, and products thereof' in the MASSIVE Chapter 39 of the Act. The code SS are now using is code 39.26 which encompasses "Other articles of plastics and articles of other materials ... Statuettes and other ornamental articles".

Another point of note is that Chapter 95, "toys and sports requisites", makes no mention of statues and, specifically, Item 95(k) states that Chapter 95 does not include "goods of plastics", but refers you back to Chapter 39 which, hereafter will be referred to as the "Canadian Collectors Are F@&cked" chapter.
Yeah, unless our currency rebounds, or I can get a deal on the secondary market, I'm done.
Closed Thread