Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 07-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #791
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I wish the EX was the MK1 costume. I know, I know, just saying it would of been cool.

The EX was a surprise. I didn't expect the flaming skull. Maybe clear resin would of been better like Bison's hand?
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #792
docmario
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

for me.. A MUST BUY PIECE!!..Pre-ORDERED!! They hav to make Sub zero next!!
docmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #793
jye318

Yea ordered since Jerry said that it might have a 3rd head !! Thanks Jerry!!
jye318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #794
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmario View Post
for me.. A MUST BUY PIECE!!..Pre-ORDERED!! They hav to make Sub zero next!!

Soon....sooooooon
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #795
Sledge Hammer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureShock View Post
It can be frustrating to hear everyone focusing so intensely on a variant head, yet mentioning almost offhandedly, how great the regular statue is.

And to me the regular version is whats important.
Here's the thing though. To hardcore collectors, when an exclusive is made the exclusive becomes important, as it is seen, rightly or wrongly, as the ultimate release of a given statue. So when that ex turns out to be a disappointment, such reactions are completely understandable from said hardcore collecting audience. High expectations not met equals backlash. It's just the way it is. The fact that this is such a long awaited and anticipated license, and fan favourite character, just amplifies that even further.

And if the regular release is what is really important, and the ex is merely fanservice or an afterthought, and not seen as or intended to be a real 'value adding' addition, then perhaps you should instead just focus on making regular statues the best that they can be without exclusive versions. Because nothing will garner backlash as quickly as something that is seen as a poor or lazy exclusive version, regardless of how good the rest of the piece may be. And that backlash will overshadow everything positive about a piece, at least initially. Therefore an exclusive should either be worthwhile with a true 'wow' factor, or not be bothered with at all, at least in my view anyhow. Anything else, that way madness lies.

And frankly, with no disrespect intended, this particular exclusive to most fans here, and elsewhere that I've seen so far, is a big disappointment. I know it must be hard to hear that about something you worked so hard on, but the fact remains that most hardcore MK fans and statue collectors just do not care for that flaming skull head. And there is no easier way to say that than just to say it.

Personally, I am so underwhelmed by that additional head that I'd rather have seen a print instead. And I think print exclusives are about as lame as can be. That's harsh, I know, but it is also how I honestly feel. That head, for me, just does not work visually, and does not say Scorpion or Mortal Kombat to me, and that is what it comes right down to at the end of the day. Yes, I know I can just pick up a regular at retail (for far cheaper than Sideshow prices), that is true, and the rest of the statue is great, that is also true, but that still doesn't take away the disappointment in this exclusive reveal. And first impressions are important. Once again, that's just how it is.

I do think this is a very nice statue overall in its regular release version, but for right now that exclusive isn't worthwhile in my personal view (especially as an importing international collector), but if changes happen or an additional regular skull head was made then I'm still very open to ordering the ex. But for now I'll be holding out from ordering this anywhere, in any version, until I see how this all shakes out. Problem is, the longer I hold out from ordering this, the more chance there is for something else to come out that demands those dollars more, as there are only so many dollars to go around. And so these days that initial wow factor is more important than ever, even more so when launching a new ongoing line, and that particular ex kind of smothered that in the case of Scorpion's release to a certain degree unfortunately. Now it's back to the waiting game, for me at least. And I don't thinbk I'll be the only fan taking that approach.

Again, sorry for anything I have said that may offend, and I wish you well and thank you for listening.
Sledge Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #796
heykool69
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Im not saying anything until I talk to Ed Boon.

I have no problems making an additional third head that is a skull but with no flames. Its easy to do and I love to include additional pieces. But Ed has final say.

I have a feeling he will like the idea and we will do it.
Can you share Boon's email so we can all flood in at once That might persuade him a bit quicker.
I did ordered EX cuz you did a GREAT job on Scorpion. And maybe i'll just display him without the flame-head if it'll never get tweaked 'cuz it'll still be Scorpion.
heykool69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #797
jetfuel
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Is there any fabric on this piece? What is the mixed media?
jetfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #798
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer! View Post
Here's the thing though. To hardcore collectors, when an exclusive is made the exclusive becomes important, as it is seen, rightly or wrongly, as the ultimate release of a given statue. So when that ex turns out to be a disappointment, such reactions are completely understandable from said hardcore collecting audience. High expectations not met equals backlash. It's just the way it is. The fact that this is such a long awaited and anticipated license, and fan favourite character, just amplifies that even further.

And if the regular release is what is really important, and the ex is merely fanservice or an afterthought, and not seen as or intended to be a real 'value adding' addition, then perhaps you should instead just focus on making regular statues the best that they can be without exclusive versions. Because nothing will garner backlash as quickly as something that is seen as a poor or lazy exclusive version, regardless of how good the rest of the piece may be. And that backlash will overshadow everything positive about a piece, at least initially. Therefore an exclusive should either be worthwhile with a true 'wow' factor, or not be bothered with at all, at least in my view anyhow. Anything else, that way madness lies.

And frankly, with no disrespect intended, this particular exclusive to most fans here, and elsewhere that I've seen so far, is a big disappointment. I know it must be hard to hear that about something you worked so hard on, but the fact remains that most hardcore MK fans and statue collectors just do not care for that flaming skull head. And there is no easier way to say that than just to say it.

Personally, I am so underwhelmed by that additional head that I'd rather have seen a print instead. And I think print exclusives are about as lame as can be. That's harsh, I know, but it is also how I honestly feel. That head, for me, just does not work visually, and does not say Scorpion or Mortal Kombat to me, and that is what it comes right down to at the end of the day. Yes, I know I can just pick up a regular at retail (for far cheaper than Sideshow prices), that is true, and the rest of the statue is great, that is also true, but that still doesn't take away the disappointment in this exclusive reveal. And first impressions are important. Once again, that's just how it is.

I do think this is a very nice statue overall in its regular release version, but for right now that exclusive isn't worthwhile in my personal view (especially as an importing international collector), but if changes happen or an additional regular skull head was made then I'm still very open to ordering the ex. But for now I'll be holding out from ordering this anywhere, in any version, until I see how this all shakes out. Problem is, the longer I hold out from ordering this, the more chance there is for something else to come out that demands those dollars more, as there are only so many dollars to go around. And so these days that initial wow factor is more important than ever, even more so when launching a new ongoing line, and that particular ex kind of smothered that in the case of Scorpion's release to a certain degree unfortunately. Now it's back to the waiting game, for me at least. And I don't thinbk I'll be the only fan taking that approach.

Again, sorry for anything I have said that may offend, and I wish you well and thank you for listening.
That was a great post and I dont disagree with anything.

Like Ive said Im not telling anyone they should like it if they dont.

As far as EX's, without going into private business details, I have to make a SS EX. Sometime there is nothing that I feel is a natural fit and I have to just find something and its especially difficult when Im not that familiar with the characters.

I would have happily just made a skull head, not much easier to make than a plain skull head, but I was told by others to make the flaming skull head.

I couldnt do a light up w Scorpion because the factory thats handling it doesnt have an electrical dept.

Im not defensive that people dont seem to like the variant head, Im frustrated that the Scorpion statue in his truest form, which is what I imagine most will display as, is being overshadowed by the negativity on the variant head.

However, since I made my point I am happy to see people actually mentioning the rest of the statue not just the variant head.

Anyway, as with Bison and Felicia, I do listen and now that I have some constructive input there will be changes made on the EX head. Just not sure what yet. Might be a plain skull, might be translucent flames. Will have to see.
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #799
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer! View Post

someone nominate this man for the Nobel Prize. You saved me a couple paragraphs because everything you wrote is EXACTLY how i see it. Great regular statue, but unfortunately we crazy collectors have this shallow EX or FAIL mentality. Hit the nail on the head in just about EVERY SINGLE POINT....bravo Sledgehammer, you are good.

but there's still a strong chance i will pick this up with hopes of seeing sub-zero "soon" which i honestly believe will only helps the sales of this Scorpion statue.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #800
Andrew
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Anyway, as with Bison and Felicia, I do listen and now that I have some constructive input there will be changes made on the EX head. Just not sure what yet. Might be a plain skull, might be translucent flames. Will have to see.
I don't want to speak for everyone here, but I would like to request that if a plain skull head is done, whether as a third option or the exclusive completely redone, I think it would look better if there were no red in his eyes. Just hollowed out and painted black inside (or whatever a natural skull would look like).

The red in his eyes on the exclusive also is what takes away from the evil, dark, moody, and scary presence that Scorpion should have. Also, if you do translucent flames, you're still gonna need to reconsider the placing of the fire on his face. Even with clear resin, the "hair" isn't going to look like the character. Maybe you can somehow cover the whole face and have parts of the top look "tipped" like if a skull actually was on fire. I think the biggest thing with Scorpion is that if his skull was on fire, it's the whole thing, not just the top of the head.

Just a thought.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote