Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #251
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
I really don't understand the BvS comparison comments. This trailer had more colour, humour and straightforward character interaction, (IE no existential soliloquies), than BvS had in its entire runtime - or marketing for that matter.

I thought on the whole the trailer accomplished what it set out to do; establish that the film will be high octane and lighter than its predecessors.

I am not convinced that the film will be stellar in any regards, as I had issues with all three DCEU films to date. That said I do find criticisms of JL being too dark, gritty and self serious to be truly disingenuous.
Why is it that a different take or personal opinion is disingenuous? I've watched this trailer three times now and feel the same way each time. I'm hoping to love the film but just not feeling the overall Batman look/feel/tone for this film. What makes Batman so great for the JLA is his contrast to the others but what seems to have happenend is the others and the tone of the film is pushing to the dark and gritty Batman spectrum, despite some of the humor thrown in which I acknowledge (though Aquaman's humor seemed forced and goofy). It's just the trailer, though, and I'm hoping the movie will be great. That said, people got down on negative feelings about the trailers for MoS and BvS, but those negative feelings panned out for those films. I hope that's not the case here.

Last edited by wktf; 03-26-2017 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Correcting typos.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #252
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
don't see it either but I've given up defending it as most seem to have made their mind up about the film already.
I don't see that. It seems people unhappy with the trailer are saying they still are going to see the film and hope to like/love it.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #253
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
Unsubscribing. Such negativity to ruin this film all from a trailer. Such impatience to trash, has no one learned by now to wait for the film in its entirety? If MoS, BvS or any other Snyder or DC film wasnt for you, why expect anything different here?

I wonder if all the critics have film experience or plan on entering the industry to "make it great again".
People are judging the trailer because that's what's out there. Most of these people are also saying they plan to see the film and hope to love it.

As to expecting something different from Snyder, I totally agree with your point. Directors have a certain style, like all artists. That said, I loved 300 and Watchmen but disliked MoS and BvS. So he is literally hit or miss with a 50/50 record with me. Just hoping for something here that's more on the 300/Watchmen spectrum than the MoS/BvS one.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #254
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

I have less issue with Synder as director as I do with Snyder as writer. Justice Leauge is written by Snyder and Terrio, the two who wrote the poorly written BvS. At least IMDB only lists those two credit for the JL screenplay. And i know Terrio wrtoe Argo, but he had real life events to structure the story around. And his previous writing credits are unimpressive. And Synder's orignal writing resulted in Sucker Punch. I just wish there was a strong writer behind JL.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #255
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Why is it that a different take or personal opinion is disingenuous? I've watched this trailer three times now and feel the same way each time. I'm hoping to love the film but just not feeling the overall Batman look/feel/tone for this film. What makes Batman so great for the JLA is his contrast to the others but what seems to have happenend is the others and the tone of the film is pushing to the dark and gritty Batman spectrum, despite some of the humor thrown in which I acknowledge (though Aquaman's humor seemed forced and goofy). It's just the trailer, though, and I'm hoping the movie will be great. That said, people got down on negative feelings about the trailers for MoS and BvS, but those negative feelings panned out for those films. I hope that's not the case here.
If you watched the trailer and didn't like it because of what you saw in that piece of marketing, so be it. If what you are seeing them seeding for Batman et al in JL is not to your taste, I understand and sympathize to some extent.

My point is that the "it's humourless, dark and dower, just like BvS", "this is more of the same from Snyder", arguments I see are unfair as what is portrayed here is diametrically opposed to what was in the previous film. As stated before the JL trailer has more colour and humour, forced or not, than BvS had over 3 hours.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:31 PM   #256
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
I have less issue with Synder as director as I do with Snyder as writer. Justice Leauge is written by Snyder and Terrio, the two who wrote the poorly written BvS. At least IMDB only lists those two credit for the JL screenplay. And i know Terrio wrtoe Argo, but he had real life events to structure the story around. And his previous writing credits are unimpressive. And Synder's orignal writing resulted in Sucker Punch. I just wish there was a strong writer behind JL.
I agree. Character and narrative have been the Achilles heel of Snyder's filmmaking efforts to date.

Hopefully the egg on his face that Terrio suffered with BvS motivated him to dial it in on JL. Working to his benefit is that he is not retrofitting something written by someone else as was the case on the last film.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:19 PM   #257
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
If you watched the trailer and didn't like it because of what you saw in that piece of marketing, so be it. If what you are seeing them seeding for Batman et al in JL is not to your taste, I understand and sympathize to some extent.

My point is that the "it's humourless, dark and dower, just like BvS", "this is more of the same from Snyder", arguments I see are unfair as what is portrayed here is diametrically opposed to what was in the previous film. As stated before the JL trailer has more colour and humour, forced or not, than BvS had over 3 hours.
I understand and thanks for your points. To me, the attempts at humor, especially with Aquaman, just weren't funny. They felt forced and actually lacked humor, to me. The humor should not be injected for the sake of adding humor, but should be organic to the story and the characters. The overall tone of this piece of marketing just feels dark and dour. Also, to the point about this' being a piece of marketing, that's exactly the point I've made a few times now. I'm only giving my opinion on the trailer and not projecting that on a film that hasn't yet been released. I'm going to see this film and hope for the very best as I want DC films to be entertaining and successful.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:35 PM   #258
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Not feeling it at all, i just can't get past flashes outfit and blue streaks. Ok they went the Ion man route with his outfit but can't even get his speed force yellow?

Ill wait till i can borrow someones blue ray or something,
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #259
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
Unsubscribing. Such negativity to ruin this film all from a trailer. Such impatience to trash, has no one learned by now to wait for the film in its entirety? If MoS, BvS or any other Snyder or DC film wasnt for you, why expect anything different here?

I wonder if all the critics have film experience or plan on entering the industry to "make it great again".
Cool so only positive discussion. Ok Gotcha! Like those garbage FB groups that can stomach anything like trash like Suicide squad.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:25 PM   #260
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Everything post WW & JL / 2017 will be a SOFT reboot IMHO. That has been in the cards since Johns and Berg took the helm of the DCEU. The reality is that WB is too smart to throw out the baby with the bath water and replace the likes of Margot Robbie, Will Smith and Henry Cavill when it is not entirely necessary.
I can't remember the details of the whole Spider-Man 2 fiasco. But that got the reboot after two movies and the cast was fine for the most part too.

I saw a story about the new director on The Batman but the story mentioned that Ben Affleck's name wasn't mentioned in the release. Add in some recent comments from actors involved in Justice League, make me think the reception of Justice League and Wonder Woman will have an impact on what happens with future movies.

I'll probably see Suicide Squad soon. I'm not really jumping to see it though.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote