Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 10-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
angrybob
Frackin!

Fisheye Woes

Howdy,

I seem to be having some trouble doing a primer coat. I am using the Krylon fusion gloss white.

Here's a little history. Started washing and cleaning before I even started assembly. Used some hot water and a little dish soap. Assembled and used some Magic Sculpt and Squadron putty to fill and smooth stuff out a bit. I washed it again and primered it. I noticed this same "effect" but also had some dust floating around and did not have the nice smooth finish I was looking for so I used some easy off , dishsoap, comet and elbow grease to get the old paint off. I spent some time sanding and filling in some spots I noticed after I had the primer coat on. I wiped it down with a damp rag trying to catch any dust and then sprayed the Krylon again.

Would what is happening here be considered "fisheye"? And if it is fisheye then I have read that fisheyes happen due to contamination and improper cleaning. Would wiping the model down with accetone help? Is it possible this is a temperature issue? Or spraying too close to the model and getting too thick of a primer layer on?

Here are some photo's. I hope... still new to the online photo posting thing.

Thanks for any help you guys got!

Off to the easy off bath.
angrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Jesse321
Galactus

Kevin where are you doing your spraying?

I have the same problem when I prime my kits outside because the the amount of humidity in the air. I found that priming in my garage helps.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

There may be several reasons as to why this may be happening. As Jesse had mentioned, it could be a slight bit of moisture from humidity, or it may have slight traces of oil on the surface (even oils from your fingers can cause this), or there may be microscopic pin holes.

Now, how do you resolve this???? First, I have to ask, did you prime the kit before spraying the gloss white paint? Gloss paint does not seem to cover as well and more prone to issues happening with minor imperfections. When spraying gloss, (even fusion), I do recommend that you prime the surface first so that the paint will have more tooth to bite and cover. Next, don't try to spray the paint to cover in one coat. First lay down a few light dusting coats and lay down 3-4 light coats, you will find that you have better and more even coverage this way

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
scott
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Maybe there might be a trace of the dish soap. Which might be cause. Maybe not, just my two cents.
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
angrybob
Frackin!

Hey thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Jesse, I have a booth inside my garage. I read something about too much air movement being a problem as well so I tried to keep the fan from moving too much air inside the booth while spraying the glossy stuff. The garage is dry and attached to the house. I'm in there in short sleeves and comfortable. If it is a humidity issue I could be super hosed as I am not sure what I could do. Maybe I could set up a paint station in Arizona....

Danno, I did not actually use a primer other than the krylon fusion gloss white. I used to like to use the Citadel / Games Workshop primers but I have found on the larger kits they sometimes leave a bumpy surface. Usually that seems ok but what little bit of messing around with the Alclad chrome stuff I found the smoother surface seems to work best. So if I primer the piece first should I use a Krylon fusion flat white or should I use one of the actual krylon primers? I have tried using the krylon primers on miniatures but I think they come out too shiny and I feel like the obscure detail on the super small stuff.

Scott I wondered about soap or not letting it dry enough. Someone on the Clubhouse site said it looked like water. I thought soap would cause more of an orange peel effect and oils would do the fish eye thing. But, I am not real sure and it's hard to eliminate the variables without doing it a thousand times.

At any rate thanks a lot for the ideas and the advice! I almost got it cleaned off so maybe I will try the flat white next.
angrybob is offline   Reply With Quote