Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #19211
dechirico7
The Flash

Frida - 2002
My favorite movie. Just watched this for the billionth time. If you are an artist and haven't watched this movie, shame on you! How they animated Frida Kahlo's paintings is really neat and the animated sequence in this movie is a trip.

9/10
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:01 AM   #19212
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Unbroken (2014) - After a near-fatal plane crash in WWII, Olympian Louis Zamperini spends a harrowing 47 days in a raft with two fellow crewmen before he's caught by the Japanese navy and sent to a prisoner-of-war camp.

Not bad, but nothing remarkable in how this veteran's story was told. 5/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:09 AM   #19213
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

The Imitation Game: 9/10 - Cumberbatch is rapidly becoming one of my favourite actors. He's fantastic in this and there is so much more to this story than I imagined. Won't spoil anything, but I really had no idea as to what these guys did, and the steps they had to take. Not normally a fan of Keira Knightley either but have to admit she wasn't bad.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:09 AM   #19214
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
Frida - 2002
My favorite movie. Just watched this for the billionth time. If you are an artist and haven't watched this movie, shame on you! How they animated Frida Kahlo's paintings is really neat and the animated sequence in this movie is a trip.

9/10
I would have liked this one more if the dialogue was all in Spanish.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:44 AM   #19215
abarron
Batman

A Movie Weekend with the kids

The Lego Move 7/10 Clever and interesting and very trippy

Shrek 8/10 One of my fave animated series. Good start but not as funny as i remember. Kids enjoyed it
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #19216
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Manhunter - 8.5/10

My preferred film version of Thomas Harris' novel Red Dragon. Michael Mann's trademark visual style is present throughout along with a synth heavy 80's score. Possibly William Peterson's best film performance rivaling 'To Live and Die in LA.' While some liberties are taken with the source material it's much more thrilling than Brett Ratner's 'Red Dragon' despite that film's amazing cast and the continuity of having Hopkins in the role he made famous in 'The Silence of the Lambs' and 'Hannibal'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalThrasher View Post
Excellent movie plus the tooth fairy is the same guy who played Frankenstein in The Monster Squad and Cain in Robocop 2
EDIT: I just looked it up, his name is Tom Noonan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
Absolutely cracking movie and that final scene with the 'Garden of Eden' playing is one of the all time greats.

Having said that, I still think I prefer Silence over all. Manhunter is definitely grittier and I think more hard hitting though.
Let me start by saying I am a big fan of Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal but some how missed Manhunter all these years. After reading Hellboy's review and doing some searching over the weekend, I found it on Amazon Prime so I checked it out. Going in, I wasn't sure what to expect but being a big fan of Michael Mann's work, I was expecting a well made film and I got one. As far as the film goes, my thoughts mirror what you gentlemen said. I agree it's probably the best take on the Red Dragon novel done on film so far. The narrative was very tight with solid exposition that kept me engaged through out the film. Definite standout performances for me were William Peterson, Tom Noonan, and Dennis Farina. My score is right on the money with Hellboy's. I'll be adding it my blu ray collection for sure. I still think Silence of the Lambs edges this film out as the best in the series but I would rank Manhunter a close second with Hannibal right on it's heels in third place.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #19217
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
The Godfather: 10/10 - We saw a special screening of this tonight at the Sydney Opera House, with the amazing score performed live by the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.

Amazing way to see such an amazing classic and pretty cool 'cinema' to see it in.

Congrats Nidgit. That looks fantastic. Probably the coolest way to see a film I bet. Visiting Australia, Sydney in particular, has been on my bucket list for years. I'll get there one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
This was one of my top ten films of last year which I posted in the best movie of 2014 thread. I also mentioned the similarity to Kubrick when I rated it way back when. The soundtrack is quite awesome too.
It was one of the top movies of 2014 for me as well. I agree on the soundtrack. Such a unique film in many ways.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #19218
ParisDean

Deux jours, une nuit / Two Days, One Night (2014) - Sandra, a young Belgian mother, discovers that her workmates have opted for a significant pay bonus, in exchange for her dismissal. She has only one weekend to convince her colleagues to give up their bonuses so that she can keep her job.

Marion Cotillard is awesome in this. And thankfully, it didn't have one of those predictable voting movie endings. 9/10
Old 02-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #19219
RadicalThrasher
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Near Dark (1987) - 7/10

RadicalThrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #19220
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
Congrats Nidgit. That looks fantastic. Probably the coolest way to see a film I bet. Visiting Australia, Sydney in particular, has been on my bucket list for years. I'll get there one day.
Cheers mate. I'll throw another shrimp on the barbie for you
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote