Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-30-2020, 03:30 PM   #121
Blade3327
Nightwing

I think much of the negativity comes from years of Sideshow being inconsistent with the quality of their movie-based Alien and Predator pieces after the SWS collaborations of the mid-2000s. Either the scale doesn't match (Big Chap LSB vs Alien Warrior LSB), or the paint is lacking, or a promising piece (the Elder Predator LSB) is straight-up cancelled. And in almost every situation, the sculpt suggests a lack of attention to the source material.

When people see Sideshow putting more energy into the Mythos line for these characters, it gives the impression that Sideshow is doubling-down on "make-believe" versions of these characters because they can't hack the "real thing." That and there's an element of "they cancelled [X promising movie piece] for more of this?"

Throw in their recent history of swapping PVC parts for polystone - sometimes without being upfront about it - then charging the same amount and you've got a product drawing ire from multiple angles. The Wolf Predator LSB should've been a moderately successful release, even with its less-than-stellar paint app, but the PVC usage destroyed it.

I actually think they've made some cool decisions with the design of this piece, but the size and paint absolutely do not warrant the same price tag as a 1/3 Prime 1 statue. Had this been at least $300 cheaper, its reception would've been much more positive.
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #122
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I cant think of any pieces that would be less popular if 30% cheaper.
Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #123
SDguy

The price for this piece just really killed it for me. Why was their Internecivus Raptus half the price of this? The material? Fine, make more of the mythos piece out of plastic then. As long as it's painted the same no one's the wiser. I would have jumped on this in a heart beat if it was closer to the Internecivus Raptus price.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:16 PM   #124
Strychnine
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
The price for this piece just really killed it for me. Why was their Internecivus Raptus half the price of this? The material? Fine, make more of the mythos piece out of plastic then. As long as it's painted the same no one's the wiser. I would have jumped on this in a heart beat if it was closer to the Internecivus Raptus price.
I heard that Internecivus Raptus had some plastic pieces. How much of it? Imo, a statue should have zero plastic pieces except for maybe the most fragile of details that would be impossible to cast in polystone or resin. Never the less, I agree. This should have been half of this price.
Strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:36 PM   #125
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
. . . Throw in their recent history of swapping PVC parts for polystone - sometimes without being upfront about it - then charging the same amount and you've got a product drawing ire from multiple angles.
The Wolf Predator LSB should've been a moderately successful release, even with its less-than-stellar paint app, but the PVC usage destroyed it . . .

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #126
ozboy
Birdman

You can however run over that wolf bust with a car for zero damage lol
ozboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:57 AM   #127
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post

I didn't buy that one precisely because it was plastic. Plus whenever they make a pvc piece, they love to tell us it costs more to do so.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:45 PM   #128
Halcyon
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpuik View Post
I cant think of any pieces that would be less popular if 30% cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
I think much of the negativity comes from years of Sideshow being inconsistent with the quality of their movie-based Alien and Predator pieces after the SWS collaborations of the mid-2000s. etc...
Yes, very good explained.
Most of us, will not hit the same rock more than ones (or twice)..
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #129
Halcyon
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I didn't buy that one precisely because it was plastic. Plus whenever they make a pvc piece, they love to tell us it costs more to do so.
Can't believe SS is still vague about materials used.
7 out 10 order-pages don't have material listed anymore.
Same with scale, why not clearly mention if it is 1:6 / 1:5 / 1:4 etc
Just ridiculous.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #130
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Can't believe SS is still vague about materials used.
7 out 10 order-pages don't have material listed anymore.
Same with scale, why not clearly mention if it is 1:6 / 1:5 / 1:4 etc
Just ridiculous.
Technically you can't set a scale on original art/ creature design. There is no real size to compare this against.

Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote