Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 02-14-2005, 01:20 AM   #1
SirConor
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

A new B.O.T.H is Born!!!

Hey B.O.T.H. -

I just have to declare my newfound alliegance to the Hammer! This weekend our team was traveling to Dallas for a lacrosse tournament, so I decided to pick up a TPB for quality reading material (God forbid I actually do some studying or class-related reading!)... my interest in Thor has been piqued lately ever since the Ragnarok storyline (first Thor story I have read) and all the Beta Ray Bill discussion so I picked up The Essential THor Vol. 1 and I just have to say this is GREAT stuff!! I had never known the backstory of the character so I decided to start from the roots, and now I'll spend much of my time working my way through all the great history! I love it!

Quick question - my understanding of THor's powers so far only comes from those first issues in the trade. I was wondering... have his powers changed dramatically through the years (i.e. does he still fling his hammer and hold on in order to fly, etc etc). Also, does anyone have a good site with a summary of Thor history?

B.O.T.H. forever!
SirConor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:28 AM   #2
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Another B.O.T.H. brother! Odin has smiled upon us!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirConor
Hey B.O.T.H. -

I just have to declare my newfound alliegance to the Hammer! This weekend our team was traveling to Dallas for a lacrosse tournament, so I decided to pick up a TPB for quality reading material (God forbid I actually do some studying or class-related reading!)... my interest in Thor has been piqued lately ever since the Ragnarok storyline (first Thor story I have read) and all the Beta Ray Bill discussion so I picked up The Essential THor Vol. 1 and I just have to say this is GREAT stuff!! I had never known the backstory of the character so I decided to start from the roots, and now I'll spend much of my time working my way through all the great history! I love it!

Quick question - my understanding of THor's powers so far only comes from those first issues in the trade. I was wondering... have his powers changed dramatically through the years (i.e. does he still fling his hammer and hold on in order to fly, etc etc). Also, does anyone have a good site with a summary of Thor history?

B.O.T.H. forever!
B.O.T.H.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:37 AM   #3
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Hey B.O.T.H. -

B.O.T.H. forever!

Well, besides the fact he's dead, nothing much has changed The mid-80s was a great time for comics from Marvel. Between Simonson Thor, Byrne finshing his X-Men, Miller Daredevil, Byrne moving on to FF and I believe Perez on Avengers, there was some really great stuff. The Thor runs you are reading are among the bests works to ever come out of Marvel (in my opinion, of course )
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:38 AM   #4
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus
Well, besides the fact he's dead, nothing much has changed The mid-80s was a great time for comics from Marvel. Between Simonson Thor, Byrne finshing his X-Men, Miller Daredevil, Byrne moving on to FF and I believe Perez on Avengers, there was some really great stuff. The Thor runs you are reading are among the bests works to ever come out of Marvel (in my opinion, of course )
Thor is currently dead???? Are you F'n kidding me? I'm really glad I don't collect comics in this new age Marvel crap.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:42 AM   #5
grendelscott
The Damned Mod
Adamantium Member

I thought this was going to be a birth announcement...lol.
grendelscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General
Thor is currently dead???? Are you F'n kidding me? I'm really glad I don't collect comics in this new age Marvel crap.
General, can you believe it? But, it's true...from the Avengers Disassembled tie in that, actually, had nothing to do with that storyline. It's was Thor's own Ragnarok story line.

Here are some comments from Walt Simonson, Bendis and Quesada from Wizard #158 on the subject..

Simonson wrote:

Funeral For A Friend

"Thor" legend Simonson laments death of his favorite character

(Editor's Note: With the recent death of the Norse God Thor and Marvel's announcement his title would be discontinued, Wizard turned to long-time Thor writer/artist Walt Simonson for his thoughts)

I didn't believe it when I heard the news.

Thor was dead.

Of all the characters I've worked on as both a comic book writer and artist, Thor and I had the longest ongoing relationship!

Thor was the first Marvel comic I discovered in college, and it was my favorite from the start.

When I first caught a glimpse of Jack Kirby's dynamic pencil line, I was hooked. The pages were bursting with energy. After that, I haunted every store that carried Marvel Comics. I'd bike for miles to get my hands on the latest issues. I was mesmerized as Loki and the Absorbing Man led a rebellion in Asgard, in anguish as Thor pined for the lovely Jane Foster.

The epic story grabbed me in a way the other early Marvel books didn't. Thor was noble, altruistic and just. He was the stuff that all heroes were made of, and he was a god as well. But even gods couldn't have everything they wanted. Thor had trouble with women, he got into arguments with his father, he constantly searched for his place in the world. In a way, he was as human as you or I. Thor won, but his victories didn't always make him happy. And, just like the rest of us, we didn't win all the time.

Working on Thor will always be one of the highlights of my career. Although they were only stories put on paper, the tales were almost self-generating, as Thor came to life before me. And we became the best of friends.

I loved that character. I am sorry he is going away. Maybe I'll slip out and throw a Viking funeral for him, build a little pyre in the backyard and fire it up! Thanks for everything, Thor. May you be carried to Valhalla in glory.

Walt Simonson

From the Interview with Bendis:

5. Where's Thor? And don't just tell us he's dead. Did you pick the Sentry as the Avengers' Superman-level character only because Thor wasn't around?

Lately, Thor's been very much of his own world - - starting from way before I came onto Avengers. Mike [Oeming] was doing these very epic stories with Asgardian lore, and he wasn't going to be anywhere near Earth for a while. He was unavailable, and I just kind of put him out of my mind. It doesn't mean he won't show up - - and actually, if he ever does come back, he'll be coming back to a whole new world, and I think that would be very interesting to explore. So maybe one day. But right now, it just wasn't in the cards.

[EDITOR'S NOTE: We went to Marvel Editor-In-Chief Joe Quesada to get the full scoop on Thor's fate following his death in October's Thor #85]

Quesada: Thor will be back. There will be some major changes in the world of the Asgardian, and I can assure fans that it will be as radical and as shocking as what just happened in Avengers. We're not ready to announce any new creatvie teams -- but Thor fans will be happy, I can promise you that.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:53 PM   #7
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
Quesada: Thor will be back. There will be some major changes in the world of the Asgardian, and I can assure fans that it will be as radical and as shocking as what just happened in Avengers. We're not ready to announce any new creatvie teams -- but Thor fans will be happy, I can promise you that.
Hmm, Thor fans will be happy? We'll see about that.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:59 PM   #8
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
I just have to declare my newfound alliegance to the Hammer!...B.O.T.H. forever!
Oh, and SirConnor, congratulations! Welcome to the Brotherhood!!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #9
JR2
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Hey B.O.T.H. -

I just have to declare my newfound alliegance to the Hammer! This weekend our team was traveling to Dallas for a lacrosse tournament...
B.O.T.H. forever!

I didn't know they knew what lacrosse was in Dallas.
JR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #10
SirConor
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I don't think they do ... but thats where we met other teams from out of state (Colorado State, Auburn)
SirConor is offline   Reply With Quote