Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #21
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
I've had this conversation with my wife, who was raised by her parents' "house-staff", and not her parents...

.. growing up, my Mother was... a Goddess (and still is ), and my Father disciplined me by way of the belt (he NEVER hit me, though, or used the belt/hit my sisters)...my Mom probably got tired of breaking wooden spoons on my @ss after a while...

.. anyways, my wife's therapist told my wife to tell me that my Dad was basically abusing me, since if you take the belt out of the equation, he'd be punching my bottom with his closed fist, so technically he was abusing me...

.. I've told both of them that knowing what punishment was coming kept me from making some bad decisions as a kid.

I also told her therapist to "get bent" since she clearly has no idea what kind of man my Father was.
Abused? lol i swear that word goes around to much these days.

Glad ya told her off, kids need some good old fashion beatings these days!
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #22
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamsynclair View Post
forgive my ignorance...but is this a question of a justification of a parents action to their own child..I.E. should a parent have to justify any of their actions to their children or is the problem the cigarettes slash candy scenario

I mean it could be soda to their wine...or filet mignon to their kids meal....# of comics/commissions to their # of comics/commissions...and so on and so forth...

Parents bring the bacon home so to speak and make sure the responsibilities are done at the end of the day....dont they deserve the big piece of chicken as Chris Rock put it....or cigarettes I guess in this case...we might all agree that the cigarettes are a bad thing but hey its her big piece of chicken...I think we all have our big pieces of chicken..we all might not agree on everyone elses chicken but hey its their chicken
To me, it's more about the fact that she reasoned that the child should not have candy because it was "not good for you" and they don't have "extra money"

And then she bought cigarettes - something that is one of the worst things for you - and usually takes up a HUGE chunk of your earnings.

I don't mind a parent using the money they make for themselves - it was just her justification - and then her purchase that made me chuckle...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #23
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex655321 View Post
I actually worked with a woman who complained that she wasn't getting her 15 minute break when she was supposed to - that she was pregnant and gets tired easily and it's not good for her - of her unborn child - for her to be stressed out. Then, when she got her break, she'd go out to smoke.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #24
ansel39
ROT Minister of Truth, Justice, and the Texans Way

Quote:
I've had this conversation with my wife, who was raised by her parents' "house-staff", and not her parents...

.. growing up, my Mother was... a Goddess (and still is ), and my Father disciplined me by way of the belt (he NEVER hit me, though, or used the belt/hit my sisters)...my Mom probably got tired of breaking wooden spoons on my @ss after a while...

.. anyways, my wife's therapist told my wife to tell me that my Dad was basically abusing me, since if you take the belt out of the equation, he'd be punching my bottom with his closed fist, so technically he was abusing me...

.. I've told both of them that knowing what punishment was coming kept me from making some bad decisions as a kid.

I also told her therapist to "get bent" since she clearly has no idea what kind of man my Father was.

when i was a kid i got hit with whatever was handy. It was not abuse back then it was getting what you deserved you little shiet.... well according to my dad it was.

the hits i knew were coming really did not stop me from making the bad decisions.

but thinking back i deserved 99% of the beating i took.
ansel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #25
liamsynclair
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
To me, it's more about the fact that she reasoned that the child should not have candy because it was "not good for you" and they don't have "extra money"

And then she bought cigarettes - something that is one of the worst things for you - and usually takes up a HUGE chunk of your earnings.

I don't mind a parent using the money they make for themselves - it was just her justification - and then her purchase that made me chuckle...
Ahhhh..the irony of the whole thing...I get it....I used to do the asking b4 I went in...while we were parking....that way the embarassment of a parental coniption fit could be avoided....military upbringing, u learned quick nout the dos n donts
liamsynclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #26
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansel39 View Post
when i was a kid i got hit with whatever was handy. It was not abuse back then it was getting what you deserved you little shiet.... well according to my dad it was.

the hits i knew were coming really did not stop me from making the bad decisions.

but thinking back i deserved 99% of the beating i took.
So did I.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #27
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamsynclair View Post
Ahhhh..the irony of the whole thing...I get it....I used to do the asking b4 I went in...while we were parking....that way the embarassment of a parental coniption fit could be avoided....military upbringing, u learned quick nout the dos n donts
Yup.. military upbringing here, also... my Dad didn't mess around.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #28
liamsynclair
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Yup.. military upbringing here, also... my Dad didn't mess around.
Hell nah they didnt play.....I felt like I was enlisted at times....I was pulling PT duty for weeks...lol
liamsynclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #29
Alex655321
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
I actually worked with a woman who complained that she wasn't getting her 15 minute break when she was supposed to - that she was pregnant and gets tired easily and it's not good for her - of her unborn child - for her to be stressed out. Then, when she got her break, she'd go out to smoke.
Unbelievable !!!
Maybe it's the same person ! lol
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #30
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

A little of original subject, but similar to some of the other posts. I'm so old that when I was a kid not only was it considered acceptable for my own parents to beat me but pretty much any other responsible adult, such as

1. My friends' parents when I was at their house
2. Teachers
3. Principal
4. Life guards

If I got a beating it wasn't anger at the authority figure that gave it to me, it was "What did you do that got you in trouble?"
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote