Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 02-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #31
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatueBandit View Post
Do you think ESPN can also apologize for the Native Americans getting stripped of what was there's. I know its not there fault but would be nice
ESPN didn't make either an editorial error or a direct racial slur towards the Indians, back in the day; I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure ESPN wasn't broadcasting sports events via tv, radio or the internet 200+ years ago.

Regardless of how you look at it, reckless journalism or insensitive "joke", ESPN f#cked up. Somebody's going to get a slap on the wrist for this, as they should. It doesn't matter that it's ONE writer and ONE editor that made the mistake.. that website represents the entire ESPN organization (including their channel); it's bad for business.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #32
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Does this new racial sensitivity on the American sports landscape mean that we will finally see the end of the "Washington Redskins" and "Cleveland Indians" as well as a removal of the the non tomahawk "Atlanta Braves" logo/mascot?

A bit of a double standard to create such fervor over this in light of what sportsfans have been in bed with for decades.....
The word "chink" is the equivalent of the N word or S word (for Hispanics). This is not just a question of racial sensitivity.

I've got no problem with making Washington change its team name. I think they should. There's been lots of "fervor" created over this name as it should.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #33
Underdog07
Hercules

And there's been a firing

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=7591778
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #34
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

So there was more than one statement made?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #35
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I had no doubt there would be a firing. Journalism standards have slipped in the Internet age, chiefly because anyone can call themselves "a sports blogger," which some folks think is synonymous with "journalist" (also because it's cheaper to hire inexperienced 20something-year-olds rather than journalism veterans who know what the hell they're doing). But for a major sports brand name, you simply CAN'T have anyone writing headlines that include racial slurs. Ever. Besides being severely stupid and against every journalistic rule, it's VERY bad for business, which is the name of the game today. If you've got the reputation for being THE sports multi-media news authority as ESPN does, you've got to kick all the idiots to the curb.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #36
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Saw that coming.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #37
rychehitman
Galactus

now who among you does not consider that to be overreacting?

unless you can prove slanderous intent....there is no reason why someone shoudl be out of a job over that...given that it is a commonly used phrase and there is a chance that the writer didnt put 2 and 2 together. ( I am going to assume that there wasnt an editor that looked at this...as there rarely is for online stuff. As Rily mentioned online reporting standards are pretty darn low)

A Personal apology from the writer should have been the next step to humanize the situation.
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #38
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

It might be overreacting to some, but ESPN had to "save face" before this snowballed.

Error in judgment or error in editing, doesn't matter... what matters is it happened.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #39
Darth Pain
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

That was a funny headline.lol
Darth Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #40
rychehitman
Galactus

Obviously there is a chance that the headline was slanted in a way to discredit the company. It's easy to see why ESPN is trying to nip this in the bud.
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote