Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 09-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
azurepred
The Masters of Evil

Could you spot a recasted print?

So, I'm not sure if I've ever boughten a recasted print or not, but I just got a print off of eBay not too longer ago and the seller relisted the same one using the same picture. The seller has tons of feedback, but I'm not sure if that means a whole bunch these days. My question is to you guys, how could you really know when your buying privately or through eBay that your print is legit?
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Do you have a link to the auction or can you at least tell us what print it is? We can perhaps start there and then let you know if there are things that are visible on a legitimate copy vs. a forgery if one of us has the piece.

I agree that the relisting is fishy.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

eBay is going downhill with pictures on listings. I've seen sellers use the same pictures and steal pictures from other sellers.

But yeah, we need an eBay link and to know what poster you received. Mondo fakes should be easy to spot. Problems arise with movie posters.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
azurepred
The Masters of Evil

Here's the auction. It is a comic con type print, and I know flippers will buy multiples. I got mine for $40, he bumped up the new auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251149115800?redirect=mobile
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Prevail69
Kindly Asked To Leave

these type of prints are made in mass, they arent limited editions so they can print off w/e ammount they need to.

As far as the signature goes the type of ppl who sell this kind of stuff will usually show up with a stack of prints for the artist to sign for them, so no surprize he has more than one to sell.

Buying signed stuff on ebay is always kind of sketchy tho. But for only $40 its fine... Its when you pay the BIG cash for signatures you gotta be careful.
Prevail69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Prevail is bang on the money. Often times an artist will also sell this type of print themselves and have a couple hundred ready for sale at a con and ready to go out the door. A few times at the conclusion of a con the artist will give people 2 or 3 for one or even just hand out stacks so that they don't have to be bothered with holding onto them. In fact I got a signed Jim Lee All-Star Batman one given to me for free by his aide at the Toronto Fan expo a few years ago as a result of this dynamic.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
dr_teng

I wouldn't worry about it at all. If the seller uses the same pictures it's likely because he just clicked relist auction and two clicks to relist it rather than wanting to update the picture.