Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 05-15-2015, 12:36 AM   #1
Dahwaf
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Mera Bombshells by DC Collectibles

Mera Bombshells - DC Collectibles
Sculpted by Tim Miller
Designed by Ant Lucia (chosen by you, the fans!)
Stands at 12” (to top of trident)
ES: 5200
RRP: $125 USD.

Intro.
Mera has gained a lot of popularity in the past few years. Sure, she’s always been pretty badass, but most have often just referred to her as “Aquaman’s girlfriend”. With the New 52 revamp, Geoff John’s did something most thought impossible: he made Aquaman super cool. However, he didn’t stop there. He gave much of Atlantis a revamp, including Mera.
Since the New 52 began in 2011, Mera has received a lot of attention by DC. She’s featured prominently in Aquaman’s comics, as well as featured on the cover of many of his issues, and last year, we were lucky enough to get a Mera statue as part of Artgerm’s line of Cover Girls.

Mera now joins the DC Bombshells as part of DC’s ever popular line of statues that started back in 2013.. She follows some of DC’s leading ladies, such as Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn (including a “Holiday” variant), Black Canary, Stargirl, Zatanna and Hawkgirl. Coming out soon, we have Lois Lane (August), Batwoman (September), Catwoman (October), Joker & Harley (November) and a second Wonder Woman (another “Holiday” variant). That’s 16 statues in the space of 3 years!

DC loves the Bombshells. Fans love the Bombshells. Time to see if the latest addition is worthy:

Sculpt. 7.0
Tim Miller has sculpted the majority of the Bombshells, and it’s easy to see why. Miller does a great job accentuating the curves and proportions of these ladies. Mera’s hair has some really nice detail, as does her beach hat, which has some really nice texture. Speaking of texture, her bathing suit armor looks really great. It’s even better than the scales on the Mera Cover Girls statue.
The base is also really awesome. It creates a little diorama and just adds to the piece.
Mera’s face ended up a little distorted and isn’t as nice as some of the other ladies in the Bombshells line. It’s pretty expressionless and ultimately it brings down the rest of the statue. Her lips are really boring – A subtle smirk or something would have added a lot of life to this piece.

Paint. 7.5
Like I just said, her face could use some work. I think the eyes are a little wonky, and it makes it hard to get the statue looking directly at you.
There are some lines on the edges between her outfit and skin which look a little weird – it’s obviously done on purpose to add some definition, but it’s a little strong. Otherwise, the paintwork is pretty great. The colours on her armor and outfit look fantastic, as does her hair and hat.

Design. 7.0
If you remember last year, DC Collectibles let fans choose which of three designs they wanted to turn into a statue. I chose A, which is what one, so I was pretty happy with the art choices.

However I think the pose just doesn’t work as well in 3D. It’s still a nice design, but it’s just kind of stiff compared to the other girls (which is unfortunate, considering it’s the one showing the most movement with the wind blowing her hat, hair and jacket around her waist back)

Production and Build Quality. 6.5
The statue came out pretty nicely. With magnetic nameplates and some really compact packaging, it’s pretty safe in the box.
The trident is quite flimsy and moves around a lot when you pick her up. There isn’t a peg for it to go flush into the base, it kind of just hangs there in her hand. I also had a struggle getting the body into the base - a real struggle. Even now I don’t feel like she’s fully in there.
I also gave a lower score here due to the eye’s coming out quite obviously wonky.
My last small complaint is the placing of the "Mera" nameplate. If you have the nameplate facing you, she's facing in a completely different direction. It would have been much nicer if all the nameplates and facial directions would be uniform between each bombshell.

Despite that issue, the use of magnetic nameplates ensure you don't receive a broken one (something that ruined a lot of the early pieces of Wonder Woman and Supergirl) so that's a plus!

Overall. 7.0
Ultimately, this surprisingly nice statue is let down by a lifeless face. The rest of the statue is really fantastic. I love the vibrancy in the paint colours and the hair is gorgeous. Even the hat looks awesome! But that damn face is just so expressionless and bored.

Over to you now, what do you think of this piece? Are you planning on picking it up or giving this one a skip?

Dahwaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:36 AM   #2
Dahwaf

Couple more.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
dechirico7
The Flash

I would have to repaint the face on this piece. It would drive me mad with the big derpy eyes. It is really too bad that these sculpts get killed by bad factory paint. Great review!
After I get some of my other projects done, I think I am going to start investing more into this line. I think it would be fun to repaint all these. I'd like to invest in one of the newer pieces, but not quite sure which one. What would you recommend? I already have the original Harley and Stargirl. Which I think both have acceptable paint. But I would like to get a newer one like Zatanna, Hawkgirl or Mera to try repainting.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
Dahwaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
I would have to repaint the face on this piece. It would drive me mad with the big derpy eyes. It is really too bad that these sculpts get killed by bad factory paint. Great review!
After I get some of my other projects done, I think I am going to start investing more into this line. I think it would be fun to repaint all these. I'd like to invest in one of the newer pieces, but not quite sure which one. What would you recommend? I already have the original Harley and Stargirl. Which I think both have acceptable paint. But I would like to get a newer one like Zatanna, Hawkgirl or Mera to try repainting.
Of the ones you mentioned, I think Hawkgirl is the best - both quality and design wise. A repaint of her would make her truly exceptional. There's also a real playfulness to her that would go well with Stargirl and Harley.
Zatanna + Mera both have face issues, but I guess for a repaint, whichever one you like the most (design wise) would be your best bet.