I like to make what's yours mine.

Iron Studios 1/4 Scale Spider-Man Review

Spider-Man 1/4 Scale Statue
by Iron Studios

Released: September 2016
Edition Size: 1,300
Product Size: 25.5" H
Product Weight: approx. 19 lbs.
Design Team: Mike Deodato (Design and Concept), Iron Studios Design and Development Team
Original Retail Price: $750 USD plus shipping

Please watch the video review HERE

Sculpt: 7.0 / 10

At this time, I do not know who sculpted this piece. Whomever did, did a fine job given the complex concept design. Spider-Man himself looks really good, with realistic cloth folds on the suit and a nice texture on the blue areas. Overall, the piece looks very much like the concept...however, I do believe that part of the sculptor's job is to determine how the piece will break down for moulding and casting, and allow for easy assembly afterward. In that regard, the sculpt on this piece leaves a lot to be desired.

Paint & Mixed Media: 7.0 / 10

Paint, overall, is reasonable. As you typically find on Spider-Man statues, the black web lines on the suit are hit and miss quality. Paint throughout the base is acceptable, but very mono-chromatic with very little "pop".

Design: 9.0 / 10

The concept design for this piece is what had me drooling from the start. I loved the diorama, splash page feel of the piece...it's like an action scene right out of a comic or movie. The statue had tremendous potential to be Iron Studios' signature piece and put them on the map with collectors worldwide.

Production & Build Quality: 3.0 / 10

Typically, I try to leave price out of the equation when reviewing a statue. But, the simple fact for this piece is that the quality in no way matches the price-point...not even close.

Very little thought apparently went into how this statue would be assembled as a final product. Parts do not line up with the holes they are meant to connect to, making it very difficult to assemble.

Many parts of the base are made from a very brittle, cheap feeling plastic...not at all what one should expect from a statue in this price range. If you do buy this statue, be VERY careful assembling the stairs, as they are very flimsy and break easily.

Spider-Man himself has potential to look very good, but many pieces are plagued by fit issues between the boots/legs and arms/gloves, as well as large paint blemishes throughout. The fingers are made from a flexible material to help prevent breakage...a good idea in theory, but many pieces are arriving with bent, gnarled fingers, which is unacceptable.

The fact is, I cannot fathom how this piece was allowed to leave the factory like this. Someone, somewhere, made a conscious decision to make the piece out of poor quality plastic, and it has absolutely ruined what could have been something special.

Overall: 6.5 / 10

Although there are some small positives to be gleaned from this train wreck of a piece (Spider-Man has potential to look very good, the overall dynamic concept is exceptional, Doctor Octopus tentacle with posable pincers and light-up feature is nice), it is largely a disappointment.

Hopefully Iron Studios can learn from this situation, because they have shown they are able to produce quality statues in the past (see my Magneto vs Sentinel review, for example). Unfortunately, this was the piece that caught many collector's attention, and the end result will leave a bad taste in many people's mouths.

Such a shame, because this statue had so much potential. All we can do is think about what could have been.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
Bmutha

Old 09-25-2016, 11:53 AM   #3
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Great photos Kris. Sorry to hear about this piece. It's so disheartening when a piece arrives and doesn't live up to your expectations.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Oy vey... I would have a hard time buying that someone in Iron Studios-land didn't know how badly this one turned out prior to shipping. You just can't play stupid or innocent on something this catastrophic because if you do, that risks looking even worse. Accountability is the best way out of this. They should have bitten the bullet on this one and either recalled, redesigned, or scrapped it altogether. Also, quite frankly, the use of this much plastic on a piece reminds me of my 9 year old daughter's Disney castle, only those pieces stayed together after assembly.

What's odd is that after the IS' Iron Man statue, I thought the company had a shot at becoming a legitimate contender in the 1/4 scale world. This piece screams amateur hour. I'm trying to remember if we've even seen a statue so poorly constructed in the past 25 years. I don't think so. This statue gets the Walk Of Shame award, which should be a new category in our yearly awards package.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Hi Kris,
I am sorry to hear about your misfortune!
The piece does indeed look fantastic and I was eagerly waiting for the first reviews to pop up expecting high marks for and enthustiastic feedback on this statue friom Iron Studios.

I am sorry to hear it was such a big letdown and hope you can get the statue replaced by a better one.

Please keep us updated and thank you very much for your open and honest review.
Despite the disappointing statue it was worth watching as always.

Rainer
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #6
VITTOR77
A day without sunshine is like... night.

good recension ., it also misses the pumpkin. i orther this..
VITTOR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #7
Bmutha

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITTOR77 View Post
good recension ., it also misses the pumpkin. i orther this..
The pumpkin bomb broke off during shipping.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #8
Bmutha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
Great photos Kris. Sorry to hear about this piece. It's so disheartening when a piece arrives and doesn't live up to your expectations.
Thanks...yeah, was a bit of an unpleasant surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Oy vey... I would have a hard time buying that someone in Iron Studios-land didn't know how badly this one turned out prior to shipping. You just can't play stupid or innocent on something this catastrophic because if you do, that risks looking even worse. Accountability is the best way out of this. They should have bitten the bullet on this one and either recalled, redesigned, or scrapped it altogether. Also, quite frankly, the use of this much plastic on a piece reminds me of my 9 year old daughter's Disney castle, only those pieces stayed together after assembly.

What's odd is that after the IS' Iron Man statue, I thought the company had a shot at becoming a legitimate contender in the 1/4 scale world. This piece screams amateur hour. I'm trying to remember if we've even seen a statue so poorly constructed in the past 25 years. I don't think so. This statue gets the Walk Of Shame award, which should be a new category in our yearly awards package.
Iron Studios has put out some quality stuff, that's why I didn't hesitate to pre-order this one. Clearly they made a mistake during the planning phase, and it has blown up in their face. Unfortunately, tis will set the company back severely in many collector's eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force of Nature View Post
Hi Kris,
I am sorry to hear about your misfortune!
The piece does indeed look fantastic and I was eagerly waiting for the first reviews to pop up expecting high marks for and enthustiastic feedback on this statue friom Iron Studios.

I am sorry to hear it was such a big letdown and hope you can get the statue replaced by a better one.

Please keep us updated and thank you very much for your open and honest review.
Despite the disappointing statue it was worth watching as always.

Rainer
Well, they can't all be winners. Hopefully Iron Studios products improve in the future. Their Superman vs Doomsday comes out shortly, so let's see how that one turns out.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #9
SONICobra
Batman

despite all its flaws it looks freaking incredible in your photos lol
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #10
Valkyrie
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

No doubt it photographs well and even looks decent in person (from a distance), but I can say from personal experience that Bmutha's criticisms are spot on. Especially in the build quality category.

Iron Studios missed an opportunity to make a splash with this one.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote