Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-10-2005, 09:20 PM   #1
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Arrow The Weta connection

Okay there is a new 1/4 scale line for the LoTR. This is great news and i think the bunch of sculptors employed directly by SS will do a marvelous job. But they are missing one thing. A direct connection to the making of the film. The SSWeta pieces have a direct connection and in some cases the actors actually posed for their respective characters.

Given this fact. Which of these two lines do you think will hold their value the most in say 20 years. This is not a question of quality. I know the SS sculptors will produce better humanoid pieces. Andy has already produced some marvelous likenesses on the Star Wars line. This is a question of longevity. An example of how the connection with the film benefits the piece is the Predator Maquette produced by Stan Winston Studios. His name on the base alone has meant the piece will sell for big money.

I look forward to what SS come up with. But there is one thing for sure. I won't be a completist. I'll buy the pieces i like.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:21 PM   #2
Moria
U talkin' to me?

I am definately partial to WETA, but I will discriminately purchase the 1/4 scale.
Moria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
Emperor'sGuard
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I think SS will do a great job, WETA was not perfect. Example Aragorn, Legolas.
Emperor'sGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #4
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

The point is not who does the better job. Its will Wetas connection to the film ensure that their pieces hold their value better in say 20 years from now. (Pension)
Old 11-10-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

I'm sure they will hold their value just fine. That said, I am really looking forward to the new line (pun intended). Exciting times.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
cap70
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

That's a though question to answer right now. Ask this 5 years from now.
I'm pretty sure each one will have it's space between LOTR collectors, though. Like any collectible line, some pieces will probably maintain or up it's value, in both lines. Some will prefer "whole sculpted" statues, others will prefer the bigger and probably better likeness of the 1/4 pieces and so on. I can't wait to see what's coming. I'm pretty sure it will be awesome stuff. 2006, the year of the divorce!
cap70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:44 PM   #7
elwood49
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

My opinion: I think the Weta pieces that are creature related (Balrog, Cave Troll, Fell Beast) are the ones that are really special. They created the designs for these characters themselves (along with Lee, Howe, and others of course) and manufactured/modeled them for the films.

I really don't see the appeal of the Weta human pieces. It's not like those sculptures are related to the creation of the films at all. Look at the 2 new Rider/Steed pieces as an example. Those were sculpted WELL after the films were done. The essence of Gandalf in LOTR comes from Ian McKellan, not from anything Weta did, IMO.
elwood49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:48 PM   #8
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

The human sculpts from the LoTR i think will not have the same appeal as say the ones from Star Wars have had. Star Wars was a creation for cinema where the LoTR was adapted for cinema. People already had a connection with the characters of the books before seeing the film. Where with SW the actors were the character. I do agree that Weta's connection to the film and in particular with the design of the sets and monsters will maintain their value in 20 years from now. I don't think their human pieces will though.