Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-12-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
bat_collector
Galactus

The Good, Bad, Ugly Reviews: Son of M, JLA, X-men: The 198

Totally short week in comcis this week, which was nice. Most comics that came out were those I need to catch up on (Cable and Deadpool, Hawkman, and Green Arrow). So only three reviews this week. Let me apologize in advance for probably my worst reviews ever. This week didn't inspire me, and I was totally immersed in Lost, which finally came back on the air.

My Pick of the Week (out of three) was Son of M #2.
The Thud of the Week is JLA #124

Son of M #2
The Good: It was suggested a while back that this would be the sleeper out of all the DeciMation spinoffs. Well, I honestly think they might be right after two issues. Last issue we saw Pietro jump off a building to commit suicide after losing his powers. Spidey is able to break his fall a bit, but he is still badly injured. However, Crystal appears and whisks him away to Attlan (I probably misspelled it), where we are at the remaining of the issue. While Luna, and probably Crystal, are happy to see him, other in the Inhuman community are clearly not. And being so near the Terrigan mists, you can probaby guess Pietro eventually asks to be exposed to it to regain some sort of power.
I loved this issue! Not only was it my first real exposure to the Inhumans, but also it explained in detail how the terrigan mists worked. And while the other mutants are running wild from Sentinals, anti-mutant groups, and serial killers, it is nice to have such a re-freshing change of pace and have a story entirely focused on one indivdiual's experience to it. I think this series will only get better.
The Bad: Nothing, this was as fine a read as could be expected.
The Ugly: Waiting to find out more! This one has me hooked.

X-men: The 198 #1
The Good: Another mini-series dedicated to DeciMation. What's this one's angle? Well, its taking the view those mutants that aren' x-men. With reportedly on 198 mutants left on earth, how are those not in the X-mansion doing? Not too well, apparenlty, as we see anti-mutant groups doing their best to herd all remaining mutants into the x-mansion. Nothing like getting the remaining mutants in one small area, right? Bright idea.

Well the X-mansion has been turned into some refugee camp with new arrivals daily. However, most aren't welcomed into the mansion, but must live in some tents on the property. And while all mutants must be living in fear, you gotta think mixing Toad and Mr. X with Cyclops and the other good guys ain't gonna go so well. But this issue is all set-up, as nothing really happens but Mr. X and Toad arriving at Xaviers in very different fashion. If you would like to read what some of the evil mutants are up to, read this series
The Bad: I really don't know where this is heading, other than some "showdown" between these hostile forces all set up in a small area.
The Ugly: I have no idea whether to say you can pass this title up or not. Will this series be imprortant, or will it be throw away? Can't guess at this point.

JLA #124
The Good: I'm still trying to think about that.
The Bad: Well, this isssue isn't bad, per se. It isn't that interesting either. This issue continues to tel about how the Key plans on trying to kill everyone in Gotham City simply to get them out of his head. His psionic powers are always on, and that means he hears others chatter all day long. To escape this he intends on killing everyone through fear psionic devestation (think X-2).
However there is no JLA to fight him, which Green Arrow blames Batman for. When both try to fight the Key, the escaped Deadly Sin Envy possess Green Arrow, and in a envy-fueld rage ends up fighting batman, getting the upper hand. Will Green Arrow really kill Batman? Will Black Canary arrive in time? Will anybody care? Taht's the important question.
The Ugly: Stay away from this throw away arc unless you are a big DC fan or you really want to see green arrow get the better of Batman (which I never do).

See ya next week, where hopefully I'll review some better comics.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
bat_collector
Galactus

Due to the stellar quality of the What If books released the past few weeks I was actually thinking of donig a GBU special reviewing al the books. I know wktf did the thor one, but I think each can be given an individual review. Any thought if this is a good idea?
Old 01-12-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

What, the What If? books were good? But the first lot were so poor.

And who, or what, is Mr X? Charlie got another brother?
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief

What?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:21 PM   #5
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief

I think its either Mr. X or Mr. M. something like that. I think he appeared in District X. I really don't know a a thing about him, except from what i read in the 198 files that came out last week. Pretty much a powerful mutant.

I'll review those what if's this weekend. Somethign for me to do.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
Relic Reaper
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector
I think its either Mr. X or Mr. M. something like that. I think he appeared in District X. I really don't know a a thing about him, except from what i read in the 198 files that came out last week. Pretty much a powerful mutant.

I'll review those what if's this weekend. Somethign for me to do.

Yeah, there's a brief write-up of Mr. M in "The 198 Files" that came out last week. The best news about the 198? Squirrel Girl is still a mutant...so I may get my bust yet!

By the way, thanks for the great reviews, BC!
Relic Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #7
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic Reaper
Yeah, there's a brief write-up of Mr. M in "The 198 Files" that came out last week. The best news about the 198? Squirrel Girl is still a mutant...so I may get my bust yet!

By the way, thanks for the great reviews, BC!
Mr. M, Mr. X, waht's the difference?

he's just a old man in a wifebeater and hat with near omnipotent powers.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #8
Relic Reaper
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Mr. M, Mr. X, waht's the difference?

he's just a old man in a wifebeater and hat with near omnipotent powers.

Relic Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:37 PM   #9
bat_collector
Galactus

so, anyone else read son of m or the 198?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:40 PM   #10
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
so, anyone else read son of m or the 198?
See my Son of M review, posted today in the Sam and my review thread.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote