Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
SARPEDON
Kindly Asked To Leave

Looking For An Old Friend

hey guys, maybe one of you out there can help me? i am looking for an old friend of mine who used to own and run canarsie comics. the name of this gentleman is Jerry Kanowitz. he used to sell me comics since i was about 8 years old back in the early 70's until he left the business to retire back in the early 90's. last i heard he was living either in garden city, long island or rockville center i'm not sure. anyway i was just reminiscing and thought maybe i could find him again. i had his number but as time goes by i must have misplaced it. anyhow any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks
SARPEDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
MikeNegin
The Spirit

RE : Jerry Kanowitz

Hello,

My name is Mike and I use to work in Canarsie Book & Comics in the 80's so I'm not sure if you would remember me? What's your name? Do you remember so of the other guys who worked there?....Frank, Mark, Brian, Ken...There was a lot of us over the years!

I have some sad news to pass along.....Jerry passed away Friday morning (8/18/06 ) after a long battle with cancer. I was lucky enough to have seen him a couple of months ago and spend the day with him......He was the same old Jerry....all the same old jokes and all the same old stories....and after that day I realized how much I really missed that old guy. I had hoped to go out and see him again but unfortunately never got a chance too.

Jerry's funeral was Sunday; It was a really hard day.....The services were very nice; Jerry's daughter Judy and Granddaughter got up to say a few words and it really didn't leave a dry eye in the place. The Rabbi talked about Jerry's book store days and about all the people who's lives he had touched through the store which is when I got especially choked up. A few guys from the books store were there and we all got to reminisce a little before the services. Spoke to Harriet (his wife) for a little while and she wasn't doing so good (which is to be expected). They had an open casket which I was glad about because I got to say my good bye to Jerry personally and thank him for all he did for me. Inside the casket with Jerry was a picture of his 4 grandchildren as babies and a Abbott & Costello comic.....This was the first comic his son-in-law had ever bought from him and coming into the store those many years looking for that specific issue was how he met Judy and eventually married into the Kanowitz family.

The cemetery was real hard....it was so sad and the 90 degree heat didn't help the situation. We each got to shovel a few piles of dirt into the grave (as is jewish tradition). Issac (Jerry's Son in law) was so distraught that at the end he stayed behind and shoveled the entire grave in.....we all just watched with such sorrow. It was really heartbreaking. We went back to Jerry's house afterwards...and as sad as it was that we were all togther without Jerry the mood was a lot better. Everyone was joking and laughing telling old Jerry stories and it really helped make it a lot easier to deal with.

Jerry and the book store were a real big part of my life and I always knew it meant a lot to me; but with Jerry gone now I realize that fact even more....This hit me real hard....harder than I actually thought it would. I'm really going to miss him.

This morning I did a google search on his name to see if there was an obituiary and I came across your message. I only wish I had found your message a long time ago...Jerry loved to hear from old book store guys and I'm sure that he would have loved to hear from you.
MikeNegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
Logan
Kindly Asked To Leave

Sorry to hear about your friend, you have my condolences.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:32 AM   #4
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

What a heart-wrenching story ... but at the same time, it's a heart-warming story, as well. To have someone to have such an effect on your life, to have such warm memories of a person, well, that can't help but be anything but beautiful. I am so sorry for your loss, but, at the same time, I'm so glad for you to have had such a person in your life. Peace.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:44 AM   #5
RogueSpideyFan
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Lots of times we don't think about all the people and individuals we have met simply because we share the same hobby...It's really amazing how some ink and paper, resin and paint has created such strong bonds between people. I think of all the people I gotten to meet simply because of comics, who will ever forget the first person you purchased your first comic book from, I mean not just the one mom or dad brought. But, the first one you had to purchase with your own funds be it with your allowance or doing some odd job for mom or dad. My condolences go out to the family and friends....
RogueSpideyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:33 AM   #6
Primal
Batman

My condolences Mike. Why dont you try sending a PM to Sarpedon to let him know his thread has resurfaced since it's been a while since he posted it.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:37 AM   #7
Sgt Taz
Doom Patrol

Like rilynil said, what a sad story yet beautiful one at the same time. These things happen but at least you have some nice memories left. I wish you guys all the strength and Sarp I hope you dont feel to bad about missing his funeral. He knows you tried, that's what counts. Peace.
Sgt Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #8
SARPEDON
Kindly Asked To Leave

Jerry Kanowitz

hey guys, i am the person who was looking for jerry kanowitz. i finally got a hold of him several weeks ago and spoke to him for awhile. i was supposed to go see him but didn't get the chance cause of work or some other thing would come along and mess up my plans but i always figured i had some time to catch up. i just didn't know he was that sick. when i spoke to him he had told me he was sick but sounded really well that the treatments were working for him and was looking forward to seeing me again after many years of just life getting in the way. now learning that he had passed away i will never get that chance of seeing him just once more. if anyone who knew jerry would undestand why people loved him so and why this is such a hard thing to do. jerry was a big part of my growing up as i knew him since i was 8 years old. now i am a 43 year old with wife and kids and work like crazy to give them all they could want in life and sometimes moments like this tend to make me realize how so little time we have. i will miss jerry so very much and i seem to cry every time i think of him. i will miss you my friend and you will always be in my heart and in my mind. good-bye old friend until my time comes to see you this place will be a little more sadder without you. my thanks, jose
Old 08-22-2006, 09:58 AM   #9
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I'm really sorry for both your losses. At least you knew him and it seems he touched both of your lives and nutured both your loves of comics.

Sarp, even though you didn't get a chance to see him before he died, I'm sure that the phone call you shared meant a lot to him and gave him another reason to fight on a little longer.

Mike, be glad you got to spend the day with him as I'm sure he was. He was obviously a great man for this to effect you both as much as it did, you probably both made some of the last days of the man very happy ones.

Again I'm very sorry for your losses.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #10
SARPEDON
Kindly Asked To Leave

Jerry Kanowitz

thanks man i really appreciate the kind words. makes me glad i joined this forum. alot of class people here.