Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 04-06-2006, 01:40 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

wkft's and Sam Wilson's Reviews 4-5-06

Wktf’s Reviews

Unlike the first week of last month, not too slow a comics week this week. My list included the Civil War Opening Shot Sketchbook, my three reviews below, The OMAC Project Special, Moon Knight and the must-have tpb for anyone keeping up on Marvel Zombies, the Ultimate Fantastic Four: Crossover trade. My pick of the week is Infinite Crisis #6 and, while I’ve never done this before, my major disappointment of the week is Moon Knight #1. Having recently read “Already Dead,” Charlie Huston’s gritty urban novel about vampires and zombies in New York City I was looking forward to his comic book debut on this title. Unfortunately, David Finch’s beautiful drawings are paired with a story that’s just, well, thin. I’m not panning it, but it just doesn’t live up to expectations.

Infinite Crisis #6 of 7
DC Comics
Written by: Geoff Johns
Drawn by: Phil Jiminez, Jerry Ordway, George Perez & Ivan Reis

This series is the gift that just keeps on giving. Here we are at the penultimate chapter of the single biggest event going on in comics and there appears to be no letting up. Sadly, the event hinted at in last week’s Action Comics, and referenced directly in this week’s Detective Comics and Teen Titans comes to pass and we witness the heroic end of a character who’s been a mainstay of the DCU since 1993.

We know from the end of the last issue that Superboy Prime freed himself from the Flashs’ speed force where, according to him, he’d been kept for years exposed to a red sun. However, having fashioned armor similar to that of the Antimonitor’s harness designed to feed him yellow sunlight, he’s loose now and possibly the most dangerous being in the universe. And he goes on a warpath against anyone striving to prevent Alex Luthor from bringing back Earth Prime. The combined might of Black Adam and The Martian Manhunter can’t stop him. Meanwhile, the Supermen of Earths 1 & 2 reconcile, with Earth 2’s Superman realizing he’s been manipulated by his friend Alex, and Alex is playing God with the various Earths he’s created to fashion the perfect Earth. However, in order to do that, billions of people across all these Earths must die.

In the end, there’s one climactic battle where all the artists throw everything, including the kitchen sink, into the mix…like what George Perez did in JLA/Avengers. The different styles of the artists, from Reis’ riff on Jim Lee’s Batman as the Dark Knight strives to take down Brother Eye with the help of his rag-tag team, to Ordway’s Superman work, come together beautifully and Johns begins in this issue, toward the end, to show us a glimmer of how this series will resolve. But we’ll all have to wait until the end of this month to get the final scoop. Two enthusiastic thumb’s up!

Detective Comics #818
DC Comics
Written by: James Robinson
Drawn by: Leonard Kirk with Andy Clarke & Wayne Faucher

The “Face the Face” OYL Batman story arc started off brilliantly in the last issue. We learned that Batman had been away for a full year but now was back and re-partnered with Robin, James Gordon was the commissioner again and Harvey Bullock is back on the force, the reconstructed (see “Hush”) Harvey Dent has been acting as Gotham’s protector in the mean time but, despite his new face, he’s still hearing voices. And, most bizarrely, the once fearsome KGBeast had been thrown off a roof with two (count ‘em, two) bullets in his head. The second part of this arc, in Batman, petered out a bit with some rather typical Batman & Robin vs. the arch villain to save the hostages stuff. Nothing exceptional other than the applause from the streets when Gordon turned on the Bat Signal. But the end of the issue found Magpie, a villainess I’d not seen since John Byrne’s “Man of Steel” strung up and executed the same way.

This issue returns us to some great Batman storytelling, complete with cerebral as well as physical combat. Some good interplay between Robin, Bullock, Gordon, Bullock and Batman make for some solid entertainment and a touching conversation between Batman and Alfred in the Batcave, one concerning Tim Drake, shows a calmer and more compassionate side to Batman than we’ve seen in years. In fact, Bruce’s realization that his nocturnal crime fighting and detective work has it’s limitations juxtaposed with his conversion with Alfred leads the reader in one direction only to…well, you should read the comic, but there’s a back up story that serves to expand the Bat Universe by one, but not in the historical, more typical way. This could prove very interesting especially if the dynamics here continue to be as strong as they are in this issue. All this and, sorry to say, it seems that Harvey’s still at war with himself. This, though, feels a bit like a throw back to the first issue of Frank Miller’s Dark Knight Returns. Still, this is an outstanding issue and presents a far more interesting and well rounded Batman than the one I’d given up on prior to Infinite Crisis.

X-Men: Apocalypse vs. Dracula #3 of 4
Marvel Comics
Written by: Frank Tieri
Drawn by: Clayton Henry

Well, if Marvel Zombies is the mini-series that’s the sleeper of the year, this has got to be the best Marvel mini-series that practically no one’s talking about. Like nearly everyone else whose reaction to advance news of this title was “What the…?” I had trouble taking it seriously. Until I read the first issue, that it. Then I was hooked. This has been one of he most pleasant comic book surprises I’ve read in a very long time.

Here’s the premise. It’s 19th century England and members of the secret Clan Akkaba have been getting murdered left and right. This clan is made up of descendants of the powerful immortal mutant Apocalypse. The clan’s strongest member, Hamilton Slade, went out looking for the killer but disappeared for three days, after which time the remainder of the clan awoke Apocalypse from his Rejuvenation Chamber. John Starsmore, a clan member and a police officer revealed, with considerable help from Abraham Van Helsing (the same Van Helsing who led the band of vampire slayers against Dracula in Bram Stoker’s novel), divulged that it was the vampire lord who has been murdering their clan. Ozymandias, Apocalypse’s scribe, recalls Dracula as the warrior king Apocalypse slew during the Crusades. Clearly, Dracula is out for revenge.

Not only is he out for revenge but Dracula has moved with surgical precision against Apocalypse without putting himself in harm’s way. And this issue Apocalypse makes a very poor showing of it, indeed. Against his own clan who’ve been turned by the vampire’s curse he is overpowered and, as he takes his battle to Dracula’s home turf, Van Helsing discovers something that may prove the undoing of the great lord Apocalypse and their entire band. While this issue serves mostly to T-up the final confrontation between the two lead characters it proved a great read in–and-of itself. Tieri’s really spinning a hell of a tale here. Henry’s pencils are crisper than I would expect of a pseudo vampire tale and Wil Quintana’s colors likewise seem a bit bright, but the art is clean, well rendered and really works for this grisly tale. For those of you who’ve not been following along, make sure you pick this up when it inevitably hits the trade shelves. Whether you’re a mutant or vampire fan, you should get a real kick out of this book.

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

A decent day today in comic land, a huge week from DC with “One Year Later” titles including The Outsiders, Teen Titans and Detective comics. A quality week from Marvel with Ultimate X-men, Punisher and Young Avengers and a surprisingly good week from DC/Wildstorm with Winter Men and Warren Ellis’s always late yet never disappointing Planetary series. My picks of the week this week are Teen Titans and Planetary, and I should also note that DO NOT read any of the DC “One Year Later” books without reading this week’s issue of Infinite Crisis. Of course that being said, on to the reviews…

Young Avengers #11
Marvel Comics
Written by: Allan Heinberg
Drawn by: Adrea Divito

The Young Avengers rose out of the ashes of “Avengers Disassembled” and consist of the Vision, Patriot, Wiccan, Hulkling, Stature and Kate Bishop. Some of them have ties to the original Avengers, Stature is also known as Cassie Lang daughter of the second Ant Man, who is now deceased, and Patriot is also know as Eli Washington, grandson to Isaiah Washington, the original World War 2 super soldier. Wiccan is a magic practitioner, Hulkling is a shape-shifter and Kate Bishop seems to be skilled with a bow and arrow. The new Vision was Iron Lad, who turned out to be a young can, but that’s really here nor there and I’m not gong to get into it. Thus far the team has been forced to disband by Captain America, Tony Stark and Jessica Jones, but then they sort of came back together after all their parents were talked to (but they are not quite yet a team). Eli was found to be taking the mutant growth hormone (MGH), Iron Lad has become the new Vision and they mixed it up with Mr. Hyde and won (yay!). Then we find out Hulkling really is a Skrull, a really, really important Skrull and things start to get ugly.

Last issue left us with the Super-Skrull killing Hulkling's mom and demanding he (Hulkling) accompany him back to the Skrull homeworld to take his rightful place. Eager to help their friend out the Young Avengers go to Avenger’s Tower to see if they can get some help, but all the Avengers are out, minus the new Vision who is kinda under house arrest until it can be determined he is trustworthy. Of course rather than wait for the Avengers to show up the Young Avengers take the new Vision and decide to save Hulkling on their own, breaking into a maximum security prison on the way to recruit some super powered help (!). In issue #11 we find out that Hulkling also had a really important guy for his father, who just happened to be a Kree. Yes, Hulkling is a Kree/Skrull half-breed and his parents on both sides were really important to their perspective empires. Anyway, the Kree show up and try to take Hulkling away at gunpoint as well. All that and we learn a thing or two about Wiccan (you’ll never guess, well, maybe) and the Avengers, you know, Captain America, Iron Man et al, show up at the end to get in the middle of what is shaping up to be another Kree/Skrull War (for you old schoolers there are many similarities in this storyline and in the original Avengers storyline featuring the Kree/Skrull War, I was pleased by this anyway)…

So this book is a lot better than I initially thought it was. There is some great characterization (Cassie, Eli, even Wiccan and Hulkling, even though Kate Bishop’s story is really lame and contrived) and the art is sharp, real sharp. The first six issues of this series are available in HC form, you can check that out or you can pick up the last couple of issues and jump into this current storyline, either way you are in for a surprisingly good comic.

Y the Last Man #44
DC/Vertigo Comics
Written by: Brian K. Vaughn
Drawn by: Goran Sdzuka

For those of you who haven’t been paying attention, Y the Last Man is this century's Preacher for DC/Vertigo. It’s epic, engrossing, and suspenseful and has a definite conclusion, but will definitely go for as long as it has to before it gets there. In a nutshell, “Y” is about Yorick brown, the last man on Earth. See, there was this huge plague, and it killed all male creatures on Earth, except for Yorick and his pet monkey, Ampersand. Yorick isn’t your average Joe though, his mom was a congresswoman, and after the plague she was the highest member of the United States government left alive so she then became the President. After the plague hit (the men died within days) Yorick carefully made his way to DC to figure things out. His mother promptly sent him on a mission to save mankind (no pressure) with Agent 355, a highly trained operative of the US Government who belongs to an agency called “the Culper Ring”. No idea what they’re about, but they’re mysterious. So Yorick makes his way cross-country with Agent 355 to a Dr. Leslie Mann in San Francisco, the Earth’s foremost expert on human cloning, only all her research gets destroyed. She has back up research in Japan, so off they go in hopes to save humanity. Along the way they have run into by Amazons, crazed right-wingers, the Israeli’s and Pirates (yes, Pirates). No one said saving the world would be easy…

Recently in “Y” Yorick has made it to Australia to search for Beth, his girlfriend and didn’t find her. Instead he got his picture taken by a tabloid journalist only to have agent 355 smacks the snot out of her. Then we got the origin of 355 which was, well pretty bad a$#ed quite honestly and in issue #42 we have the origin of Ampersand, Yorick's monkey and thus far the only other male to survive the plague. In issue #43 a new storyline starts and the search for Ampersand resumes with the crew in Japan, 355 and Yorick decide to split up from Dr. Mann and her newfound lady friend Rose (who’s with the Australian Royal Navy). York and 355 decide to follow Ampersand’s trail, and Dr. Mann and Rose go to look for Dr. Mann’s mother, a leading Geneticist whom Ampersand may or may not be on his way too. 355 starts to grow suspicious of Rose and exchanges some witty dialogue with Yorick, Rose and Dr. Mann seem to be falling in love (or are they?) In issue #44 Yorick and 355 come into contact with the Police (?) and the Yakuza, now run by a Canadian pop princess (seriously), Dr. Mann and Rose get into some trouble, and a forgotten side story is resurrected when Hero, Yorick’s sister and Beth (Yorick’s other “Beth” who had a one night stand with, and subsequently made her pregnant) meet up with the Russian Cosmonaughts from earlier in the book to deal with the son (!) of of them had while in orbit. Yeah. Heavy…

So enough already, pick up the book. With a new storyline starting, now is the perfect jumping on point. There are tpb’s collecting all the storylines thus far. It’s a no-brainer. It’s good, well written, well drawn, and damn entertaining.

Teen Titans # 34
DC Comics
Written by: Geoff Johns
Drawn by: Tony Daniel

My love affair with “The Titans” goes back the 1980, with the second incarnation of the Teen Titans helmed by writer Marv Wolfman and artist George Perez. Robin, Kid Flash, Changeling, Starfire, Raven, Wonder Girl and Cyborg. Hell yeah, those guys were where it was at. For awhile they were neck and neck with Marvel’s “All New All Different X-men.” They even crossed over once to take on Phoenix and Darkseid, but that is neither here nor there. I grew up with the Titans, I saw **** Grayson go from Robin to Nightwing, I saw Donna Troy go through many, many changes, I watched Cyborg struggle with his humanity (often proving he was the most “human” of all of them), Raven deal with her “family” issues, sat by while a traitor tore the team apart from the inside (Terra in the now infamous “Judas Contract” storyline) and much, much more. Eventually “The Titans” went away, then came back in a few different incarnations (none of which were any good) and then finally came back to their full glory with writer Geoff Johns. Johns made Cyborg, Beast Boy and Starfire “mentors” to a new generation of “Teen Titans” which included the Tim Drake Robin, Wonder Girl (aka Cassie Sandsmark), a de-aged Raven, Impulse, Green Arrow’s latest protégé (a female “Speedy) and Superboy (a clone made from Lex Luthor and Superman DNA).

This new team of Titan’s has had their fair share of life lessons in the short time they have been around; they’ve faced off against Deathstroke and his daughter, the new Ravenger, a new Brother Blood and even darker, evil future versions of themselves. Before “Infinite Crisis” they mixed it up with a crazed Superboy and Indigo from “The Outsiders” which left both the Outsiders and the Titans devastated, and then “Infinite Crisis” and “One Year Later” happened. Issue #34 opens with a deactivated Cyborg and new team members Ravenger (yes, Deathstroke’s daughter who has recently been seen under **** Grayson’s wing in recent issues of “Nightwing”), Aquagirl, Kid Devil (Eddie Bloomberg, Blue Devil’s sidekick) and Marvin and Wendy. No, not the same Marvin and Wendy from that very first season of the Hanna-Barbara “Superfriends” cartoon but Marvin and Wendy, twins who are caretakers of the Titans Tower and the geniuses who rebuilt Cyborg, apparently they graduated from MIT when they were 16. Yeah. Whatever, but its kinda cool. Hey, they could’ve gone with Zan and Janya and Gleek. Gleek man. Gleek. Also we find out what Supergirl has been up to and well, the rest I can’t say.

Anyway issue 34 leaves a lot of questions unanswered, a few of which I imagine you could find out the answer to by reading “Infinite Crisis.” So rather than spoil things, I’ll just let you guys go ahead and catch up on your own. So yeah, new fans, old fans, pick up this book, it’s shaping up to be something cool…

And for b_c's good/bad/ugly reviews check out http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=26379
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:45 AM   #2
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Trade Reviews!

“With great power comes great responsibility”. Yeah, yeah, Uncle Ben said those words to a young Peter Parker, and that’s what inspired him to become Spider-Man, but ultimately those words have become a mantra for super heroes in general. The problem is though, with too much power there may come to much responsibility and well, then things go a little crazy. We’ve see such scenarios in the comic genre off and on, in Alan Moore’s landmark work “The Watchmen” and also in DC comics with the various incarnations of the “Injustice Gang” (one of my favorite of those being from Dwayne McDuffie’s JLA cartoon). Marvel currently has their own version of this “heroes take control to make the world a better place” story in the new title “Squadron Supreme”, which comes from the recent Marvel MAX title “Supreme Power”, which original came from writer Mark Gruewald in his 1985 series “Squadron Supreme” (whew), which I’m going to review for you guys today. We also have a great tale of the Injustice Gang from Earth 2 in “JLA: Earth 2” (duh). So sit back and enjoy the reviews…

Wktf’s Review

JLA: Earth 2
DC Comics
Written by: Grant Morrison
Drawn by: Frank Quitely

An airplane is about to crash and the Justice League rushes to the rescue. Unfortunately, despite an exciting and well-oiled team response, the JLA are surprised to find everyone on board the plane already dead. What’s even weirder is that, upon closer examination, the passengers’ internal organs are in reverse locations in their bodies…as if they were mirror images of a typical human. And the currency they’re carrying has the image of a different first President: Benedict Arnold. Simultaneously, a space ship crash lands in a Midwestern field, seemingly mimicking Superman’s arrival on Earth, and who should emerge but Luthor in his familiar purple and green armor. As strange as all this is, things get stranger still in a hurry.

This Luthor and those passengers, indeed, are not of this Earth but from the planet Qward in an “anti-matter” universe, not another Multiverse like those destroyed in Crisis on Infinite Earths and now being resurrected in Infinite Crisis. And this anti-matter parallel world is held hostage by a wholly evil version of the JLA, a group called The Crime Syndicate of Amerika, a far more modern take on the team that made its very first appearance in 1964 in the pages of Gardner Fox’s Justice League of America #24. These twisted super beings are led by Ultraman, a megalomaniacal bully with the likeness and powers of Superman. Also present are Superwoman, this world’s Lois Lane, a scantily clad super powered dominatrix whom Ultraman lusts after but who prefers the advances of Owlman, this world’s version of Batman and Commissioner Thomas Wayne’s younger son who had been traumatized by the murders of his mother and older brother Bruce. Johnny Quick II is their drug addicted super speedster and Power Ring possesses a cursed ring that has control over him while also haunting him with the spirit of the mystic Volthoom. This tale’s Lex Luthor is Alexander Luthor, the lone hero of Qward who has sought out the Justice League to aid him in his battle to free his home world from the evil grip of the Crime Syndicate. And, of course, battle they do!

I’ve known about this book for years but never picked it up until my review writing comrade-in-arms suggested it to me last week. Published originally as a HC in 2000, this JLA OGN is a smartly written and beautifully drawn story. The title comes from an ironic little twist when Alexander thought to name our Earth, normally considered Earth 1 in the DCU, Earth 2. Morrison’s dark tale contains its fair share of wit and humor but, ultimately, at just under 100 pages, this is a quick but not necessarily a light read. In fact, JLA: Earth 2 is one of the more mature JLA stories I’ve read. I’ve never been much of a fan of Quitely’s art but he may have made a convert of me with this book. His characters are larger than life and wonderfully imposing. Superman and Wonder Woman both look like Greek gods and I much prefer the long flowing cape Quitely gives Superman here to the red tissue he’s wearing around his shoulders these days in All-Star Superman. Batman is powerful, lightning fast and dangerous though both creators still make him thoughtful and touchingly compassionate as well. Aquaman is both regal and a brutal hands-on brawler. And, when the shape-shifting J’Onn J’Onzz, depicted as a powerhouse at Superman’s level, takes down Ultraman he assumes a truly monstrous and terrifying form. As the story progresses we find that even in this world of near opposites not everything is as you would think it should be. There are twists and turns to keep the reader on his toes. Any fan of the JLA who has not read this book should pick it up right away. For $14.95 (tpb version) it’s one of the best JLA stories you’ll find for your money.

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

Squadron Supreme
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mark Gruewald
Drawn by: John Buscema, Bob Hall, Paul Ryan and Paul Neary

The 1985 “Squadron Supreme” 12 issue maxi-series was the brainchild of now-deceased (rest his soul) writer Mark Gruewald. In his own way, the Squadron was a tribute to the heroes he grew up with, both DC and Marvel. Hyperion is obviously Superman, Nighthawk is a combination of Captain America and Batman, Zarda is totally Wonder Woman, etc. etc. In fact, Gruewald’s 1985 “Squadron Supreme” series was so personal to him his dying wish was to have his ashes mixed in with the ink when the book first was printed in tpb form a few years back (all this is written in the “forward” to the tpb written by his wife). At the time, Squadron Supreme was one of the most human comic stories ever written. We saw heroes who were more gray than black and white; they had families, feelings, self esteem issues, anger management problems, and a whole gambit of emotions. As a young man reading that series as it came out I was completely blown away, and I still am now that I am mature enough to understand it better. I digress though; I’m putting the cart before the horse…

The Squadron Supreme exist in a continuity all of their own, on an Earth like the regular Marvel U’s Earth, but not quite the same. At one point Kyle Richmond, aka Nighthawk became President of the United States but fell under mind control by a villain named Overmind who also took the rest of the squad under his mind control. He turned the United States into a dictatorship, complete with death camps. When the Squad eventually triumphed over him the US was in a shambles. The governments’ infrastructure imploded and the US was reduced to a crumbling third world country in a matter of months. Wide scale rioting for food plagued the country, and there was much bitterness towards the Squadron, whom many people saw as the government’s personal hit squad. Yeah. Things weren’t looking good for the good ol’ US of A. So how to fix it? Hyperion proposed the Squadron Supreme declare themselves in charge of everything and fix it with their own hands. They are the most powerful and intelligent, so why not? Who would no better than them, right? All vote in favor of this except for Nighthawk, who as former president of the US has issues with totalitarian regimes. He leaves the Squadron, but lets them go about their business.

The Squad start by taking away all the guns in the US, from the military, from police, from private citizens. Yeah. They also start rebuilding infrastructure and getting people back to work and getting the economy chugging along. Then Tom Thumb, the Squad’s techie guy, comes up with a machine that alters people minds to make those who were once criminals not criminals anymore (kinda like Zatanna did in “Infinite Crisis”). During all this we see much internal strife within the team, because even though they are all powerful and have put themselves in charge, they are not without fault or emotion, and well, lets just say the decent is slow, but you can see it coming. I can’t give to much away, but, well, just read the tpb.

Squadron Supreme is nothing short of a masterwork. The characters are developed beautifully and when you see them fall it’s almost painful. The emotions and arcs some of them go through are raw and emotional. This story was nothing short of a labor of love for Mark Gruewald, and it should be up there with “The Watchmen” and the “Dark Knight Returns” as far as “classic modern” comic stories. Alas Squadron Supreme has never gotten the props it deserves, but perhaps with this review a few more of you will realize its greatness.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:55 AM   #3
bat_collector
Galactus

not surprising, I saw Moon Knight entirely different from you. I se e where you come from, though. However, I read the issue and then read it again because I loved it sooooo much!

Great review on Identity Crisis, by the way. This is one for the ages!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:15 AM   #4
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Good stuff guys. Sam, I only read Squadron Supreme just before the MAX series came out. I bought the issues, and really enjoyed them. I only read Watchmen this last fortnight, and I know which of the two I would read again: the one with Gruenwald's name on it.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:13 AM   #5
Primal
Batman

Another great IC issue! I can only imagine how much work went into planning this whole series out but it was well worth it. My favorite mini-series ever. And as usual, the last page didnt disappoint.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:16 AM   #6
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief
Good stuff guys. Sam, I only read Squadron Supreme just before the MAX series came out. I bought the issues, and really enjoyed them. I only read Watchmen this last fortnight, and I know which of the two I would read again: the one with Gruenwald's name on it.

wow jess. I'm sure whichever afterlife Mark Gruewald is in, he's looking down at you and smiling for saying that.

I personally think the Squardron is more "human" of a story than "The Watchman". Anyway, FYI (if anyone cares) the Mark Gruewald era of Captain America, back in the late '80's/early '90's was one of my favorite Cap eras as well...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #7
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
wow jess. I'm sure whichever afterlife Mark Gruewald is in, he's looking down at you and smiling for saying that.

I personally think the Squardron is more "human" of a story than "The Watchman". Anyway, FYI (if anyone cares) the Mark Gruewald era of Captain America, back in the late '80's/early '90's was one of my favorite Cap eras as well...
Well, he is the Patron Saint of Marveldom after all..

I 'gru' up with that Cap (arf!) There's plenty of good stuff there.

Now I know this is a week late, but I just got Dead Girl 3 yesterday, and this is without a doubt the absolute best humour title and best limited series Marvel is putting out at the moment. The quality is incredible, light years beyond X-Statix - this should be the team for a Dr Strange ongoing (for he is the real star of the show thus far). The only thing that runs it close for laughs is NextWave - thanks again for that one Sam. It only loses because every issue is so darn quick to read. Bonus points to Nextwave for having a theme song though.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:02 AM   #8
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

j, you never mentioned where i can get that nextwave theme song. I'll have to do a follow up review for the next issue of nextwave...
Old 04-06-2006, 08:03 AM   #9
bane
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Great reviexs guys , I skipped the Y last man review because I always await the TPB to catch up with the story , and I agree with squadron Supreme , one of the best I've read in a while .
And I also need to catch up on the Detective comics after reading this review.
bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:08 AM   #10
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

anyone have any opinion of JLA earth 2? I think it is another overlooked book much like squardron supreme. It goes along nice with those JLU episodes from last year or the year before...