Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 06-03-2006, 01:22 AM   #1
Gannon
Sailor Moon

Painting Eyes?

Hi Paintmasters, a question for you. I've noticed how amazing some eyes can look, the whites, with the colored iris and pupils and sometimes a really cool white dot for reflection. My question is, how do you paint these? Or do you use decals? If decals, do you buy (if so where) or do you make (if so how?). What do people like Sideshow, Bowen, Gentle Giant do it ? Those eyes are really striking but find it very hard to believe that is done by hand, espeicially in sometime such small figures. Any idea? Thanks for your time.
Gannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:23 AM   #2
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannon
Hi Paintmasters, a question for you. I've noticed how amazing some eyes can look, the whites, with the colored iris and pupils and sometimes a really cool white dot for reflection. My question is, how do you paint these? Or do you use decals? If decals, do you buy (if so where) or do you make (if so how?). What do people like Sideshow, Bowen, Gentle Giant do it ? Those eyes are really striking but find it very hard to believe that is done by hand, espeicially in sometime such small figures. Any idea? Thanks for your time.

definitely done by hand....no decals..
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:11 AM   #3
BattyDave19
Death is hereditary.

get sandstone made by delta, it looks more relistic then regular white. after that take a led pencile and draw in ur(better than paint because u can erace ur mistake if u make any) after that work in ur collors and then take a black wash and go over ur iris with it.
BattyDave19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:36 AM   #4
Gannon
Sailor Moon

Thanks for responding. Wow! I'm totally surprised! By hand? Is this just for garage kit paint ups? Or would this be the same for Sideshow, Bowen etc? I cant imagine the factory handling handpainted eyes AND making them perfect each time. Any thoughts?
Old 06-03-2006, 06:56 AM   #5
BattyDave19
Death is hereditary.

just for anything, u will have alot more controll with a brush
BattyDave19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:49 AM   #6
RickDTM
Master Painter
Painter

I like to use watercolors to do eyes w/. For the whites, I mix a light gray w/ a little Payne's Gray watercolor to get a more realistic look to the eye. Paint in the border of the iris using the PGray watercolor, then add your chosen iris color in with watercolors as well. Take a little white acrylic paint on a fine brush and paint in some striations to replicate a human eye. This is time consuming and a little tricky, but the beauty of using watercolors is you can wash them off w/ a damp brush if you make a mistake. Add the pupil in w/ black acrylic paint. Final step is to add the "catchlight", and I like to use a sharpened toothpick to lightly dot pure white in. LAST step is to seal the watercolor work w/ a light spray of Krylon Matte or Testor's DullCoat then gloss w/ either 5 minute epoxy or Testor's Clear Top coat. You can also use Future Floor Wax straight out of the bottle.

Hope that helps!
RickDTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:57 AM   #7
Gannon
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDTM
I like to use watercolors to do eyes w/. For the whites, I mix a light gray w/ a little Payne's Gray watercolor to get a more realistic look to the eye. Paint in the border of the iris using the PGray watercolor, then add your chosen iris color in with watercolors as well. Take a little white acrylic paint on a fine brush and paint in some striations to replicate a human eye. This is time consuming and a little tricky, but the beauty of using watercolors is you can wash them off w/ a damp brush if you make a mistake. Add the pupil in w/ black acrylic paint. Final step is to add the "catchlight", and I like to use a sharpened toothpick to lightly dot pure white in. LAST step is to seal the watercolor work w/ a light spray of Krylon Matte or Testor's DullCoat then gloss w/ either 5 minute epoxy or Testor's Clear Top coat. You can also use Future Floor Wax straight out of the bottle.

Hope that helps!
Thanks Rick! That is a really neat trick! So interesting!
Old 06-04-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
HereBeMonsters
U talkin' to me?

To echo what Rick said. For 1/6 scale and smaller I use a sewing needle with the tip cut straight off and sanded flat. This makes the tip a near perfect flat circle that you can dab paint onto and apply to the center of your iris and make your pupil. Just clean it off and reuse again. A good pair of magnifier glasses helps to really see how your eyes are shaping up. And never use white for the eye/sclera always use a off white parchment or sandlwood mixed with a little raw umber or gray.
HereBeMonsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:00 PM   #9
Gannon
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereBeMonsters
To echo what Rick said. For 1/6 scale and smaller I use a sewing needle with the tip cut straight off and sanded flat. This makes the tip a near perfect flat circle that you can dab paint onto and apply to the center of your iris and make your pupil. Just clean it off and reuse again. A good pair of magnifier glasses helps to really see how your eyes are shaping up. And never use white for the eye/sclera always use a off white parchment or sandlwood mixed with a little raw umber or gray.
Wow, cool! Painting eyes themselves seems like a whole new artform in itself! Thanks for the explaination!
Old 09-23-2007, 09:42 AM   #10
'Nuff
ROT Minister of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDTM View Post

Hope that helps!
Just wanted to make sure I could find this again...Thanks...
'Nuff is offline   Reply With Quote