Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 07-07-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
alexeicrow
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Nightmares are staring help urgent

Dear All,

My adventures with the airbrush has come to a grinding hault. Now i am stuck waiting for parts.

I was trying out the airbrush and testing it out so i learn how to use it an get some confidence when tragedy struck.

I am using acrylic paints diluted by myself with distilled water. When i want to paint large things and i open the preset cap a lot i have no problems or very few but when i slide the trigger only a little or set the preset cap to a little of i spray fine the airbrush is splatting all over.

I can to the conlcusion that it is either my paint is too watery so i thicked that but it was even worst as then it did not folw at all. Then after reading the manual it could have been becasue of dirt of clogged paint so what do i do? i dismantel the airbrush tip to clean it and when i came to retighten it i overdid it and broke the thread. Now i have to wait for a new tip to be delivered as in my country there is no iwata dealer so i have to get supplies from overseas.

By the way any suggestion how can i overcone this splattery effect i am having when i set the airbeush to spay thin or just slide the trigger just a little please. Is it due to the paint i am using?

All help is appreciated at this stage
Alexei

Last edited by alexeicrow; 07-07-2007 at 10:46 AM. Reason: mistakes
alexeicrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Hi Alexei,

I am sorry to hear this.

With the problems that you are seeing...first off, I always recommend starting out with airbrush ready paint for the beginner. There is no worries about paint mixing and what to mix with. Just learn to use and control your airbrush first. Paint mixing becomes very simple...once you get used to how they are supposed to spray.

With regards to paint splattering, it could be several things. But rather than use distilled water to thin your paint, try mixing a 50/50 ratio of water and 91% alcohol and use this to thin. The paint is coming out too wet and needs to dry faster on the surface. Products like Golden, Liquitex, Badger, etc...they make airbrush medium (a premixed medium) that can be used to thin other brands of paint in order to make them easily airbrush user ready. Another issue you may have is that your airpressure is set too high for the consistency of the paint you are trying to spray. I usually hover around 10-12 psi for everything.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote