Statue Forum 

StatueForum on Twitter StatueForum on Facebook StatueForum on YouTube
Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

» Spotlight
DGK Prime 1 Berserk Guts Exclusive DGK HX Project Avengers Captain America DGK Prime 1 Guyver 3 Comic Soon:
Clay Moore - Inside Stories

Old 02-01-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
jansen
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Artist Proof?

Hello fellow members
I just got a quick question, I have used the search funtion but still haven't found an answer, so I apologise in advance if this has been answer before.

I want to buy a few Bowen items on Ebay. The Item is located in Hawaii. But most of the Mini Bust this person has to offer is "Artist Proof".

It states in his discription
"ABOUT AP's:
Artist Proofs are usually the first 30 statues made, than the numbering starts.
These AP's are not normally available to the general public as they are usually reserved for the licensor, Marvel executives, and other VIP's."

I am quite new to this and I don't want to buy a counterfit, Could I trust this?

Thanks,
Jansen
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Rocket
Art of Mod
Super Moderator

Sounds about right mate. Does the seller say how he came across so many?
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Darknight
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansen View Post
Hello fellow members
I just got a quick question, I have used the search funtion but still haven't found an answer, so I apologise in advance if this has been answer before.

I want to buy a few Bowen items on Ebay. The Item is located in Hawaii. But most of the Mini Bust this person has to offer is "Artist Proof".

It states in his discription
"ABOUT AP's:
Artist Proofs are usually the first 30 statues made, than the numbering starts.
These AP's are not normally available to the general public as they are usually reserved for the licensor, Marvel executives, and other VIP's."

I am quite new to this and I don't want to buy a counterfit, Could I trust this?

Thanks,
Jansen
I do not think they are the 1st few that are made, or rather, some of the production pieces are just set aside (without being numbered) after production, to replace damaged statues in future.

The remainder of these unnumbered statues which did not become replacements after time would become AP (artist proof). Just a little gimmicky imo and should not be worth more.
Darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

the sellers wrong
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Artisits proofs are just extra pieces... in other words you recieve a bust or statue from Bowen thats broken and have to send it back they replace it with one of the 50 or so extras they produce... If there are no breaks on the entire run then that extra 50 or so usually gets sold as artists proofs.

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #6
TrueFaith
Kindly Asked To Leave

I've seen this guy's sales on eBay too and he has nothing but APs for sale from what I've seen. Every time he sells a Zorro AP, the second it's sold he posts another one. He's been doing this for weeks with a large assortment of Bowen busts, so he must have a ton of these things. I'm really curious to know how he came by all these proofs myself. In fact, I think I'll post a question to him about it on eBay just to satisfy my own curiosity. I'll post his answer if I get one as it may be a very interesting story...
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
bjread
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

I will tell you that the guys above are partially correct together.

AP's are BOTH the first few and the leftovers. When the do a production run they always make a certain number at the beginning to ensure that it meets the artist/companies expectations.

They also make extras in the run so they have replacement pieces should something happen to a numbered piece in transit.

Now I know FOR A FACT that last year Bowen Designs sold A LOT of AP's to some retailers. Now I don't know if this seller is one of them or not. But companies do eventually sell them when they believe they no longer need to keep them.
bjread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
TrueFaith
Kindly Asked To Leave

Obviously his retailer is one who gets many APs, as this was his response to my inquiry about where he gets them:

"my supplier gets them from Bowen , Rocky & Bowens vault "
Old 02-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
jansen
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Cool thanks for the insight!
I think I will wait, and see if I come across a "proper" one. If not I will pick up the "Artist Proof".

btw for all those curious, I wanted to get the Beta Ray Bill bust, but postage is $44 US ouch!
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
TrueFaith
Kindly Asked To Leave

Just to clarify, when I say the same seller lists another bust as soon as he sells a particular character, I do NOT mean he is relisting the SAME bust, just that he has a few because he lists another (different) AP bust of that character right away once it's sold. I have talked to this seller because I was curious myself and that's what he gets from his supplier. pretty neat supplier, if you ask me.
Actually, I think I might prefer an Artist's Proof rather than the latter half of the run as you could end up with a better paint job depending on what point of the production run it was plucked out of and unless you're a total low numbers nut (and I've never understood that) what's the diff?