Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

'Fantastic Four' Reboot? (More like Iron Man)

Praise the gods of comics to film.
Maybe I will get a REAL FF film afterall!

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/14487.html

'Fantastic Four' Reboot?
More Like 'Iron Man'
Published: 03/10/2009, Last Updated: 03/11/2009 12:05pm
Fox is planning to reboot the Fantastic Four franchise with a new director, a new cast, and a new more serious attitude, according to IESB. The first two FF movies were not exactly flops. The initial film in the series earned $330 million worldwide, while the second brought in $290, but critics and, more importantly, fans were lukewarm in their response to the FF movies.

Fox is currently contemplating “rebooting” other properties such as Daredevil and Planet of the Apes (see “New Planet of the Apes Movie”), and with Marvel eager to reclaim its properties for its Marvel Studios moviemaking arm, Fox is in a situation of “use it or lose it” with the FF and Daredevil. Since the Fantastic Four films were far more successful that the ill-fated Fox Daredevil, it makes sense for the studio to concentrate its efforts on the FF first.

According to IESB, Fox execs want to create a Fantastic Four movie that is “less bubblegum” then their previous efforts, and follows the template of the high successful Iron Man, which was darker and more serious than the FF films. If Fox doesn’t reboot the Fantastic Four franchise, it is likely that Marvel Studios will, which it precisely why Fox is evidently putting some effort into refashioning its approach to the property.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
biglebowski9999
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I wouldn't get my hopes up...Fox is still in charge and even worse, they need to use it quickly or lose it back to Marvel. That's a recipe for disaster.
biglebowski9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
Jack8022
Daredevil

The FF doesn't need to be darker, it just needs to be handled by a writer who gets the characters.

The first movie wasn't bad except that the writers didn't "get" the villain of the movie. Doom doesn't have Members of the Board to take his company away, he has lackeys who fear him. Doom doesn't shoot a missile at an enemy, he sends their building into orbit. Doom doesn't have a slugfest, he whips out a gadget after gadget to pummel the Thing down. These are the things that could've turned a so-so movie into a great movie.

Same thing in the second movie. How many fanboys would've cheered if Galactus's hand reached out of the cloud and grabbed the Surfer? And how could they make Jessica Alba look creepy with those blue eye? And product placement as part of the script? Ugh. These are the smaller things that could've turned a so-so movie into a great one.
Jack8022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
Babytoxie
Ghost

2 films and 2 reboots?

Sad sad sad...
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

No sense in making movies anymore when all they are gonna do is reboot them. Tired of seeing the same thing over and over.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Im down with a reboot. Thats what Batman Begins/TDK were...after years of crap, someone decided to reimagine the character.

I would love to see a nice sci-fi based FF - with a great Reed, great script, maybe a lumpy thing, and Sue that can act and written strong.

And yes - Doom was a complete jackass in the first two movies. We must have the arrogant ass that is Doom. Referring to himself in the third person and the whole nine...
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

I hate "reboots", probably more then anyone.

But in a case where I think the material has been very badly mishandled, abused or portrayed improperly I see the justification for it.

I think they simply mean to give these characters the power they had in the comics. Not make jokes out of them.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:59 AM   #8
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

I enjoyed both FF movies.

I look forward to more rebooted or not.

My fear is that Holliwood being the myopic, risk adverse place it is, that every super hero movie that comes out from now will a dark heavy psychological film a la TDK.

May work for Batman, but the formula should not be applied universally.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
Colossal
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

While Id hate to see that happen too Tet, Im a little more hesitant to believe thats the path that Dark Knight has set for the upcoming movies.

I just think rather than darker, they will try to go deeper with these stories, make them richer than some of the paper thing plots we've seen before.

And if they happen to make the films as rich as the comics as a result - more joy for us fans.

But Im referring to future Marvel titles, after X3, I dont really trust Fox to do these characters justice.
Colossal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:46 AM   #10
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

So does this mean no more Jessica Alba?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote