Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

The Mighty Reviews 8/20/09

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

Deadpool: Suicide Kings #5
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mike Benson
Drawn by: Carlo Barberi

For those of you who have been sitting under a rock, Mike Benson is the hottest writer to be added to the Marvel Bullpen in the last few years. He’s completely turned around Moon Knight, making him the bad-a** we always knew he was capable of being. To clarify, Mike Benson is that guy who used to write “Entourage”, you know, that show on HBO that earned an Emmy award under Mike’s pen? Anyway, hot off the heels of last month’s “Deadpool: Games of Death” (also by Benson) one shot is “Suicide Kings”. In his own book, Deadpool has had his own problems lately. He pretty much singlehandedly ended the Skrull Invasion (sort of), and Norman Osborne took credit for it. Now he’s sent the Thunderbolts to kill him (yipes). I’m guessing that isn’t going to work out and a few of them will probably end up dead or severely fu**ed up. Anyway, in “Suicide Kings”, Wade Wilson (aka Deadpool in case you didn’t know) there are no Thunderbolts or Norman Osborne, Wade’s just picking up some side work. Side work that get’s him a sh** ton of trouble of course…

“Suicide Kings” starts out like a normal day for Deadpool, he tries to pick up some work, kills all the other mercenaries competing for the job, and lands a gig that could pay him a cool million. Instead he gets set up as a terrorist and finds himself in the middle of some sh** with Tombstone (that albino mob boss from Spider-Man) and the Punisher hot on his a**. In issue two Deadpool goes round and round with Frank, and ends up getting shot in the eye. For comfort, he seeks his old comrade in arms Outlaw (aka Inez Temple, you may remember her as one of the Mercs in Agency X, and her early appearances in “Agent X”) who takes pity on him and puts him up. Things seem like they may calm down for Wade until Frank catches up with him, only to have Daredevil pull Wade’s fat out of the fire, which brings us to the current issue. DD and Wade decide to team up (sort of) to find Tombstone and clear Wade’s name. Meanwhile, Tombstone schemes to lure Wade out into the open, the Punisher still wants to kill Wade, Inez (Outlaw) gets yet another apartment fu**ed up and Spider-Man shows up. Last issue DP, DD, the Punisher and Spider-man all got on the same page and decided to hunt down Tombstone and fu* * him up. Tombstone got ready for it by hiring the Wrecking Crew as his protection. It all concludes in issue five. The good guys duke it out with the bad guys. Wade goes mano-eh-albino with Tombstone. Scores are settled. Asses are kicked, and I’m left incredibly satisfied…

“Suicide Kings” is awesome. Mike Benson gets the ball rolling right away by throwing Deadpool in the sh** like no other writer has before. Mike Benson is to Deadpool like peanut butter is to chocolate, no question. Carlo Barberi is top notch as well, his manga style suits this book perfectly. “Suicide Kings” is a welcome addition to the Deadpool cannon, and I’ll be looking for the trade that is sure to be shortly announced.

Batgirl #1
DC Comics
Written by: Bryan Q Miller
Drawn by: Lee Garbett and Trevor Scott
Variant Cover by: Phil Noto

Just to set the record straight, I did not read Batman RIP or any of the related nonsense. I’m actually okay with Dick Grayson wearing the cape (long time coming), I could care less about Damien (lamest sidekick ever) and am okay with the new Batwoman (anything Greg Rucka touches is golden). I will say I’ve always been a fan of the new Batgirl. Cassandra Cain was the unspoken bad-ass of the Batman family. If you remember way back in the beginning when she didn’t even talk, well, yeah. Total bad ass. Anyway, as mentioned the status quo has changed in the Bat-verse and there is a new Batgirl. So who is it? Is it Cassandra? Well…

Just to end the speculation, no, Batgirl is not Cassandra Cain. Rather than draw it out on the second page the big reveal is made and, well, I won’t spoil it but I guess it could be worse (and really isn’t that much of a surprise, well kind of, but whatever). Dead characters coming back to life aside (it really does get old) someone new has inherited Cassandra’s Batgirl outfit, and the rest of the “family” doesn’t know who it is (but they have a pretty good idea). Meanwhile, Barbara Gordon is floundering, and neither Leslie Thomkins nor her father can snap her out of her funk. What to do? Mentor a new Batgirl of course…

I didn’t know what to expect from this book, but I will admit I like it. I have no love for the person who is the new Batgirl (normally), but I’m finding myself liking her in this book. Giving Barbara Gordon a new place in the DCU doesn’t hurt either, and the story actually comes off fresh and exciting, not clichéd and boring. If you are a fan of the new Batman family, this book is not a disappointment and I would recommend picking it up.

Dawg’s Reviews

Amazing Spider-Man #603
Marvel Comics
Written by: Fred Van Lente
Drawn by: Robert Atkins/Stephan Roux

The Chameleon is back and he’s poised to do some damage to the mayor and the city of New York. In this issue we find out why. Turns out he’s taken a rather large sum of money from some unsavory folks who are out to get Americans.

The Chameleon has taken over the identity of our favorite screw up named Peter Parker because he was just hired in to be one of the photographers for the mayor’s office. The Chameleon knows this and assuming Parker’s identity gets him closer to whatever it is that he was hired for.

The interesting thing that happens along the way in this issue, is that we get to see the Chameleon interact with Peter’s universe and learn what makes Parker tick. Several key observations are made about the type of person that Peter is and for the reader it plays out pretty well. Things the Cameleon notes are Parker’s almost dual personalities of being aloof, yet somehow responsible and caring. He notes that Parker tends to have the most attractive women around drawn to him, and he notes that Parker tends to push people whom are close to him away.

So we see the Chameleon getting down and dirty with Pete’s face for a whole issue with the real Peter supposedly dropped into a pool of acid. We know full well that Pete is Spidey and under no circumstances did he perish in that acid, but it will be fun to see the Chameleon squirm when Spidey comes calling next issue.

Probably the best and worst parts of this issue were when the people from Pete’s life came into contact with this false Parker: For instance a lunch date with the second hottest redhead in the Marvel Universe. The reunion should have gone a lot better than it did, but the two start arguing and we find out that there is quite a bit of animosity between the two over the break up. Where that comes from we aren’t sure yet as Van Lente gives us a little info… but just enough to make us crazy as to what happened between these two. The Chameleon trots out the Gwen Stacey card in their argument and all I could think was “wow! That hurt man.”

I am very curious to see where this goes now that the Chameleon has affected many people in Pete’s life in the wrong way. This issue was painful to read, fun to read, and incredibly well done. It seems Van Lente has the magic touch woth anything he gets his pen on. I am hoping the next installment of “red-headed stranger” reveals a bit more about the weird new dynamic of the once happily married now at odds couple of Pete and MJ. Plus seeing the real Pete talk his way out of the mess he’s gonna be in with his roommate might be pretty fun too.

Wolverine: Weapon X #4
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jason Aaron
Drawn by: Ron Garney

What do you do when you’ve seen a character like Wolverine so many times a month that you can no longer stand the way that certain creators portray him? What do you do when you feel like no one gets him right anymore and he’s become a parody of that bad ass black ops agent he used to be?

The answer to these questions are pretty easy… you drop all of the other 93 Wolverine titles there are and start reading this book written amazingly by Jason Aaron. Aaron is one of the brightest writers in comics right now and he’s earned his stripes time and again writing stories featuring Logan. Personally, I have seen this character written so many different ways that it is hard to tell anymore which is the version that is the real Logan. Aaron seems to somehow glue all of these different depictions together and yet find the characters true voice as well.

This issue is pretty much straight up claw-to-claw action. Wolvie has learned that some government muckity mucks have gotten a hold of the Weapon X program documents and has made his own super soldiers to run black ops missions. You can bet your ass that Wolvie wants no part of his past to become a recipe to produce more of him to run dirty wet work missions. This is exactly what Blackguard has done though and Logan, aided by old pal Maverick, have sworn to take them down one person at a time if they have to.

So what is this penultimate issue in the arc about? You guessed it… Wolvie popping his claws and cutting his way up the ladder of this organization.

It would be a pretty sparse issue if it weren’t for the way Aaron lets Garney run wild on the art chores. Garney draws a battle that seems every bit as epic as his “get Mystique” pages where the two combatants get crunk on each other. The best pages come at the end, where the super soldier Wolvie fights with talks about how he saw Logan take out an entire battalion as well as upon knowing he was against the better man, asks how a book he was reading would end. Read it and you’ll understand. Incredible issue really, but I would expect no less from Aaron and Garney. These two are THE team to beat on Wolverine. My pick of the week.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Wktf’s Reviews

Daredevil #500
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker, Andy Diggle, Ann Nocenti, Frank Miller
Drawn by: Michael Lark, Stephano Gaudiano, Klaus Janson, Chis Samnee, Paul Azaceta, David Aja, Brian Michael Bendis, Geoff Darrow, Ranfael Frampa, David Mack, Alex Maleev, Joe Quesada, John Romita, Sr., Patrick Zercher, Frank Miller
Covers by: Marko Djurdjevic, Alex Ross, Patrick Zircher, Geoff Darrow, Gabriele Dell’Otto

This issue marks the end of Brubaker’s reign on Daredevil. Andy Diggle picks things up next month in DD’s own title and in Dark Reign: The List – Daredevil. When Brian Michael Bendis left this book he handed Brubaker a real mess to contend with. Matt Murdock was in jail along with The Kingpin and a host of other enemies. From what I’d read in interviews with Diggle, he was pretty excited about where Bru was going to leave hornhead and the story possibilities that represented. With this issue we learn what place that is and how Brubaker wraps up all the loose ends of the odyssey he’s woven. And, in this reviewer’s opinion, it represents the crowning achievement of Bru’s all-too short DD run.

With Matt’s wife, Milla, still in a catatonic state and his two closest allies, Foggy and Dakota, in fear of their lives, and a cadre of enemies all conspiring to bring his world down around him, Murdock had gone into yet another of his famous emotional free falls despite the best efforts of a centuries old, booze drinking, swill talking sensei named Izo to keep him in the game. With this issue, thanks to a key emotional assist by Izo early on, Matt is able to achieve a moment of clarity and decision that’s eluded him for several story arcs. And against a pretty incredible tapestry of evil levied against him comprised of The Kingpin, Lady Bullseye, The Owl and the entire Hand army, Daredevil finally takes the fight to all of them at once. And it’s stunning, both this plan of action, the action actions he takes, and the driven determination with which he and Izo execute their plan. Sure enough, the Daredevil status quo is changed in absolutely fundamental ways and in absolutely one of the most exciting Daredevil stories I’ve read in years.

It’s hard for me to separate where Brubaker’s storytelling leaves off and Michael Lark’s picks up. These two have spent years working together, first on the brilliant and much missed Gotham Central and now, of course, on Daredevil. The juxtaposition of Daredevil’s emotions are brilliantly portrayed, from the tender and loving trademark guilt he feels as he kisses Milla for the final time to the uncharacteristically brutal but effective ways he dispatches his enemies. Lark’s dark art is wonderful for playing the shadows on the page off against both DD’s and Izo’s aerial acrobatics and, in particular, one panel showing Daredevil pushing off a wall with shirukens flying all around him and another of Izo swan diving off a roof through a massive flock of pidgeons. And speaking of Izo, woven through this issue are flashbacks that grant us a look back through time at Izo’s origins and his many surprising links to Daredevil’s past, not to mention how Izo’s hand has been steering the events in Daredevil’s world since the Lady Bullseye story arc. All around, this lead story was a strategic storytelling and artistic thing of beauty.

This special anniversary issue also is notable for its additional content. Much better content, I might add, than other similar anniversary issue’s Marvel’s been putting out (Hulk and Spider-Man come most immediately to mind). We’re given a preview of where Andy Diggle is going to take our hero next in Dark Reign: The List – Daredevil. Legendary DD writer Anne Nocenti teams up with David Aja for a beautifully rendered and relatively short Dardevil/Bullseye piece. The pinup gallery is surprisingly good. And we also are given one of the best and most riveting single issue Frank Miller DD stories from his groundbreaking run. Yes, this anniversary issue delivered on every front, and especially with its lead story that did what every good DD story since Frank Miller is supposed to do, rock both Daredevil and the reader’s world. My pick of the week.

The Mighty Avengers #28
Marvel Comics
Plot by: Dan Slott
Written by: Christos N. Gage
Drawn by: Khoi Pham
Covers by: Marko Djurdjevic, Khoi Pham

It’s getting harder and harder to stick with this book, despite my absolute love of Khoi Pham’s art. With Dark Avengers’ being at the epicenter of Dark Reign and New Avengers’ being the underground team that feels most in tune with The Avengers roots (as Bucky stated, this is the team the original Captain America put together), this team of second stringers just doesn’t feel all that compelling any more. Even my love for Hercules’ character and the complexity of Hank Pym’s neuroses are having trouble pulling the weight in this title. And with Slott seemingly moving off the scripting chores, a measure of the chemistry and fun seems to have slipped away from this title as well.

For those who’ve been following along, USAgent and Quicksilver are still in China answering a distress situation created by a being called The Unspoken. This character used to be the undisputed ruler of The Inhumans until the young Black Bolt and his royal family unceremoniously showed him the door. The legend of his power level is enough to give Quicksilver, being well versed in Inhuman lore, the shakes and his actual power level is enough to take out a full cadre of Chinese superpowers, including The Radioactive Man. In the meantime, though, Young Cassie has figured out that not everything is kosher with The Scarlet Witch, whom we all know to be Loki. And, so, what results is Stature and The Vision bring the Young Avengers to the Mansion for a major confrontation with someone they all believe to be Wanda. Enter a long-time Avenger who definitely has some unfinished business with The Scarlet Witch and you have a brew that’s set to overflow next issue.

Except, aside from wanting to see Loki outed, I’m not sure I much care. I fear this book’s been unable to generate the kind of sustaining energy needed in this tough economic period to make shelling out $2.99 a month for a 20 page story make much sense. It may be the cast of characters. It may be the revolving art chores. It may be the lack of zing in the writing with Slott’s stepping back from this book. For now, Khoi Pham’s expressive and energetic art is about all that’s keeping me, at least though next issue.

Blackest Night: Superman #1 (of 3)
DC Comics
Written by: James Robinson
Drawn by: Eddy Barrows
Covers by: Eddy Barrows and Ruy Jose, Shane Davis and Sandra Hope

Blackest Night is the best concept DC’s come up with since Infinite Crisis. And the proof is in the quality of the satellite titles. I have no love for Peter Tomasi’s writing. In fact, I bailed on his Nightwing and have given up on his Green Lantern Corp. Yet, last week, he delivered an outstanding and genuinely scary first issue of Blackest Night: Batman. As far as James Robinson, I know a lot of people like him but I dropped his Superman titles like a rock. They just didn’t stand up next to Geoff John’s prior work on the Man of Steel. Yet, here we are again with another absolutely killer (pun intentional) Blackest Night offshoot with Blackest Night: Superman. I’m guessing Geoff Johns is levying a pretty heavy editorial hand on both these books, based on how well they stack up to the already impressive main title.

Clark has returned to Earth from New Krypton for the planet-wide memorial we saw in Blackest Night #1. Sitting around the table with Connor and Ma Kent, the two supermen pick up something with their super hearing that gives them shock and pause. Concurrently, the reader has been treated to several foreboding scenes, not the least being the ghastly resurrection of the Eath-2 Superman (hey, at this point this information can’t be a spoiler) on the splash page as well as the murder of all the innocent Smallville residents that follow. But, for Clark, Connor and Martha the zombified Earth-2 Superman’s agenda is far more personal and terrifying.

It really hurts seeing the incredibly noble Golden Age Superman turned so horribly into a thing of evil. And I suppose that’s the point and one of the elements that makes DC’s Blackest Night so electrifying. When beloved characters like The Martian Manhunter, Superman and Aquaman become putrid, murderous monsters it just pulls at the reader’s hearts and makes us empathize, not just sympathize, with our heroes’ pain. This is the Superman who dispatched the Anti-Monitor in Crisis on Infinite Earths. This is the Superman who sacrificed his life in Infinite Crisis. And his taunting of our own Superman, comparing his achievements to Earth-1 Superman’s biggest failure, is just incredibly cruel and effective. Not to mention Kal and Connor’s confused terror in facing this version of their dear friend.

This issue also had a number of other nice touches. I really liked how the characters, in the eyes of the zombie Superman, were bathed in the light of the various ring spectrums depending on the emotions they’re feeling at the time: green for will, red for rage, yellow for fear, purple for love, blue for hope. Equally as cool was the fact that these characters experienced multiple emotions at once and, so, were painted in an almost rainbow of colors. I don’t recall seeing this effect in either the Blackest Night or Batman titles but now I’m going to look for it. As superhero nightmares go, this one’s about as bad as it gets. As the Blackest Night Superman says to his counterpart, “How are you going to stop me?” How do you fight against your friend, and one who died for your cause? But how can you not to save the lives of those you love and preserve the sanctity of those you love who’ve died? The Earth-2 Superman and Lois’ threat at the end of this issue puts Kal and Connor right in the nexus of that problem. What a helluva read!

Wktf’s Trade Review

Dr. Strange: A Separate Reality
Marvel Comics
Written by: Steve Englehart
Drawn by: Frank Brunner
Classic Cover Art by: Frank Brunner

This trade reprints one of the most classic Dr. Strange story arcs ever created, written by possibly one of the most underappreciated writers who fell between the period in the early 1970s when Stan Lee stopped writing and the later 70s/early 80s Marvel superstars like Frank Miller, Roger Stern, Walt Simonson and John Byrne became almost Hollywood level creators. Steve Englehart was lending his creative genius to Captain America and The Avengers back in the early/mid 70s and churning out fantastic stories that easily hold up by today’s standards, and can be found packaged in a number of different trade books. But back in 1973 Englehart had taken Dr. Strange and, in a short lived partnership with Frank Brunner, put the Lee/Ditko sense of wonder back into the Master of the Mystic Arts.

This trade captures the landmark Dr. Strange story in which the Ancient One transcends his human coil to become one with the universe and Strange advances from Master of the Mystic art to The Sorcerer Supreme, an event that may be more interesting now given Strange’s current reduced status. Yes, in a fierce mystical battle against the demon Shuma Gorath, Strange realizes the beast’s power is, in fact, gained by feeding upon the strengths of our realm’s Sorcerer Supreme. Thus, in order for Shuma Gorath to fall, Strange must make a desperate and terrible decision, and one which yields unintended consequences both for him and his mentor. Brunner’s art is high concept stuff with monstrous demons, ethereal and mystical planes of reality, and deep psychological violence. Yet the death of the Ancient One and Strange’s ascendance to his new ranking may well be the most minor of events in this book. For not only do Strange and his arch-enemy Baron Mordo confront Sise-Neg, a sorcerer who not only aspires to become God but recreates the very universe, but he must battle the fanatical Silver Dagger after the Dagger has already murder him and even face down Death itself.

This volume collects Marvel Premier #9-10, 12-14 and Doctor Strange (Vol. 2) #1-2, 4-5. As it turns out, after this run on Dr. Strange, Frank Brunner left the series to later work with Steve Gerber on Howard the Duck but do little work for Marvel again. His work on Dr. Strange is practically synonymous with the character and his collaboration with Englehart in this volume has given the reader some of the very best Dr. Strange stories ever created. And for $17.97 they’re all captured right here in this trade.

Bat_Collector’s Reviews

An excellent week in comics! In a week where a new Batgirl debuted, the origin of the planet Daxan was revealed, and Wednesday Comics had its best week ever, my pick of the week is 100% Darkest Night: Superman #1. This may just end up being my favorite cross-over event ever!

On to the reviews!

Wednesday Comics #7 (of 12)
DC Comics
Various Writers
Various Artist

The Concept: DC's love letter to the Sunday comic section of the newspaper of yore!

The Good: Perhaps not surprisingly, this is perhaps the mini-series best issue ever. With stories now more than half-way done, its amazing how many twists the stories took this issue to develop already fantastic stories. The highlights:

Batman: We've seen Bats hold many a villains over a dangling edge while interrogating them, which has been pretty effective. In this issue, Bats takes this technique a few steps further, and its no wonder the goon spills his guts so quickly! Risso's art continues to shine!

Kamandi: Best art, best story. This strip is truly something so amazingly special! As Dr. Canus and Kamandi learn more about the mysterious Orora, they'll also see how fearsome an army they are dealing with.

Deadman: Deadman learns just how an aweful of a place this nether-world he is trapped in is. More importantly, this is perhaps the most one panel that fills the whole page is a sight to be seen!

Green Lantern: The flashbacks end, as Green Lantern finds out just how powerful the alien parasite who has taken over his old-time friend is.

Metamorpho: The strip has been fantastic blend of humor, great story-telling, and jaw-dropping art. The villain who tried to kill the crew with cholorine gas is revealed!

Teen Titans: With the reveal of the identity of Trident, last issue, the strip is beginning to pick up. More importantly, it seems that Galloway and Berganza are finding out how to use their art to take advantage of the over-sized pages much better!

Strange Adventures: Dr. Fate comes to lend a helping hand. Easily the second best feature of this book.

Supergirl: Aquaman explains the finer techniques of how he talks to animals with Supergirl. Anyone who saw Challenge of the Superfriends will chuckle!

The Metal Men: Who new Dan DiDio could write such an entertaining serial? Chemo proves to be more threatening than we might have thought!

Sgt. Rock A bit slow this week, but eagerly looking forward to the inevitable show-down between Easy Co and the Nazis.

The Flash: How many flashes are there now in this timeline???

Hawkman: Yup, they really did land on THAT island!!!

The Bad:

Superman: Finally some action (which we haven't seen since issue 1). Can a decent story hopefully follow?

Demon/Catwoman: Fantastic art, and finally we know what the motivations of the villain are. But, it seems a bit disjointed still.

The Ugly:

Wonder Woman Yup, that really was Cheetah a few issues back. But honestly, this strip just DOES NOT WORK!

Batman: Streets of Gotham #3
DC Comics
Writer: Paul Dini
Artist: Dustin Nguyen

The Concept: A look at Gotham - post Bruce Wayne, with lots of Hush and Black Mask to boot!

The Good: Three issues in, and I gotta say I really like Streets of Gotham! While Morrison has done a fantastic job with [b]Batman and Robin[b], it doesn't feel too rooted in Gotham City with all the strange villains popping up. Dini, on the other hand, seems to have built a Gotham City that is severely spiraling from all the events from Battle for the Cowl and Heart of Hush. Continuity does matter!

Gotham's underworld is now controlled by the Black Mask, while Tommy Elliot (who has surgically made himself to look like Bruce Wayne) is treating with Wayne fortune as his own piggy bank, squandering the fortune in order to drain the resources of the Bat-family. To make mattes worse, all of Arkham''s inmates were freed by Black Mask, who has surgically implanted explosive devices in them to control them. Some have been able to escape (see Fire Bug, who was the main antagonist in first two issues), while others are more than happy to serve Black Mask.

Dini, as usual, does a great job writing a Gotham City where our favorite villains and heroes really do seem to reside, and he writes these characters wonderfully. Nguyen's art, while a bit stylized, is still one I really do enjoy looking at. Together, they create a Gotham City that is full of danger for our new Batman and Boy Wonder.

The Bad: The back-up feature with Manhunter just feels flat. She was never a character I really read about before, and I'd honestly give up the second feature to make this title $2.99. It might get better, but so far it isn't impressing me too much.

The Ugly: Nothing, I've enjoyed this comic from the beginning.

Outsiders #21
DC Comics
Writer: Peter Tomasi
Art: Fernando Pasarin

The Concept: The Outsiders are back, but this time led by Alfred Pennywoth.

The Good: I freely admit I didn't finish the first arc of this current team. I have most of the issues, but honestly had a hard time being interested. I decided to give this another chance as the premise sounded a bit more fun.

With Arkham destroyed, Alfred has enlisted the Outsiders to help capture some of Batman's most dangerous foes. Mr. Freeze, Clayface, and Killer Croc are not even in Gotham City anymore! And I can say the issue is much more exciting than the previoius ones I read before. This issue deals more with Mr. Freeze, who is determined to rid his body of the device Black Mask implanted in him. Due to the antagonist being so familiar, its easier to read this issue. The art is also fairly strong, though I admit Pasarin draws some characters better than others.

The Bad: However, for some reason, Tomasi wrote much more interesting material with GL: Corps and even last weeks Darkest Night: Batman. I'm not saying this was a terrible read, I've just expected better from his other work he has done. Regardless, I will give this one more issue, just to see if this team fighting some of my favorite baddies makes me more interested.

The Ugly: Not much, just a slightly above average read here.

Thanks for reading!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Mike, I probably would have made Blackest Night: Superman my pick of the week, too, if not for Daredevil #500.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
bat_collector
Galactus

Well, I dropped Daredevil due to budgetary reason a while ago, but loved it! would love to go back and get all the issues I'm missing to read Bru's entire story arc.

Is Suicide Kings self contained? Can I just read it and not worry about Dark Reign and other stuff like that?

And one more thing, Joe, when did you drop GLC?
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Just read DD#500 - great issue. Really didn't expect it to go where it did, and I'm looking forward to the new run.
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
...Is Suicide Kings self contained? Can I just read it and not worry about Dark Reign and other stuff like that?

And one more thing, Joe, when did you drop GLC?
Based on Sam's review, I'd say it's self contained.

As far as GLC, I think it was somtime shortly after Recharge, but I don't remember exactly. Tomasi's writing just does not work for me.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
bat_collector
Galactus

Ahh, I think both GL and GLC became must reads after Sinestro Corp. I especially liked GLC and thought it did a great job explaining what was happening with Mongul, Kryb, and the Star Sapphires.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

GL Corps is a must read book every month , Tomasi is doing a great job with the comic. Great reviews guys. I enjoyed the BN:Superman comic very much and thats saying alot since I dropped my Superman titles at the end of last year. I love all things Blackest Night right now. I wish someone would spoil the DD # 500 ending for me since I dropped this title awhile ago and would love to know what shape Bru left for Diggle to start with. Sounds like Milla died? any other spoilers for me.
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-el View Post
GL Corps is a must read book every month , Tomasi is doing a great job with the comic. Great reviews guys. I enjoyed the BN:Superman comic very much and thats saying alot since I dropped my Superman titles at the end of last year. I love all things Blackest Night right now. I wish someone would spoil the DD # 500 ending for me since I dropped this title awhile ago and would love to know what shape Bru left for Diggle to start with. Sounds like Milla died? any other spoilers for me.
Spoilers, upon request!

No, Milla didn't die but she remains catatonic, and Matt decided to agree to having her returned to her parents. Presumedly, this means their marriage will be over.

Also, Matt decided the only way to contain and control the Hand was for him to become their new leader. So, Matt now is leading his arch enemies, The Hand, wresting control away from The Kingpin who wanted to lead them and Lady Bullseye who thought she was going to lead them.

Also, it was revealed that Izo was Stick's mentor and has been with Matt, in the shadows, ever since the accident that blinded him.

On a side note, perhaps I should try GLC again but Tomasi's let me down so often I'm hesitant to do so.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
On a side note, perhaps I should try GLC again but Tomasi's let me down so often I'm hesitant to do so.
GLC has been great since the Sinestro Corps Joe. I highly recommend you give it a try.

And a nice review on Blackest Night Superman & Daredevil. Both were great reads and I loved the ending of DD which was a very unexpected twist! Reminds me of how Bendis left off the title.

I'll give the next writer a couple of issues to see if I should drop the title but I'll admit it'll be interesting to see Matt in that situation!
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote