Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 01-21-2008, 01:35 AM   #1
ansel39
ROT Minister of Truth, Justice, and the Texans Way

Super Sculpey

hey. i am just starting out scuplting with super sculpey. it is very hard to knead. Is there anything i can do to make it easier to work with. please help.
ansel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
Jesse321
Galactus

And yes, it does help if it's pink!
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:42 AM   #3
ansel39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post

And yes, it does help if it's pink!
not to surprise you i have a rolling pin and it is pink. i bought it for breast cancer awareness but it is a good rolling do not want to mess it up with sculpey
Old 01-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #4
ansel39

another question. I just read on the box on the front it says bakes hard in a home over. On the bakc it says not intended for production baking or commercial application in ordinary home equipment.

I am a little confused. So it will bake hard in my home over but i should not do it
Old 01-21-2008, 02:07 AM   #5
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansel39 View Post
another question. I just read on the box on the front it says bakes hard in a home over. On the bakc it says not intended for production baking or commercial application in ordinary home equipment.

I am a little confused. So it will bake hard in my home over but i should not do it
It will back hard, but thinner parts will become fragile over time (or at least that's what I'm told) so it's better to have a piece cast and poured in resin, which is more durable over time.

Also .. here's a tip about baking, don't follow the instructions to the letter, it's better to bake a piece at 220 for 3rd more time longer period of time than at a higher temperature for shorter time.

Also have a large bucket or pot of COLD water (with ice in it even) ready and put the piece immediately into the cold water after baking. I know this sounds crazy, but I've actually found (with the few pieces I've done) that it will prevent cracking.

And take it from someone who tried to take the short cut, don't use a counter top oven ... use your stove oven, the piece needs air circulating around it to cure properly ... try to keep the piece in as close to the center of the oven as possible.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:22 AM   #6
ansel39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
It will back hard, but thinner parts will become fragile over time (or at least that's what I'm told) so it's better to have a piece cast and poured in resin, which is more durable over time.

Also .. here's a tip about baking, don't follow the instructions to the letter, it's better to bake a piece at 220 for 3rd more time longer period of time than at a higher temperature for shorter time.

Also have a large bucket or pot of COLD water (with ice in it even) ready and put the piece immediately into the cold water after baking. I know this sounds crazy, but I've actually found (with the few pieces I've done) that it will prevent cracking.

And take it from someone who tried to take the short cut, don't use a counter top oven ... use your stove oven, the piece needs air circulating around it to cure properly ... try to keep the piece in as close to the center of the oven as possible.

what is a stove top oven
Old 01-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
SiqzAdams
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

A regular stove
SiqzAdams is offline   Reply With Quote