Great Destroyer
Son of wktf

J.R.R. Tolken

Can all agree this man is a god? He's definitely one of the best writers ever

Great Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
Jack8022
Daredevil

Wellllll.... I wouldn't go that far but he is one of the all time greats. I loved the Hobit, the Lord of the Rings and the Simarillion but some of his other stuff is a bit tough to get into.
Jack8022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
scott
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Most of the other stuff was put togther after his death.If you like the Lotr try the Elric series by Michael Moor****. Your crazy if you don't.

Well it seems that his last name sounds like rock & is the name of a rooster.
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

"The Lord of The Rings" trilogy is my favorite work of literature. I first started reading it when I was 15 and I've read the trilogy at least five or six times since. I also love Orwell's "1984."
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
Venom4131
Death is hereditary.

I've never been more into a book(s) than when I read the Hobbit and the LoTR. Granted, I don't read much, but those books were incredible.
Venom4131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
protector2814
Phoenix

[QUOTE=scott;1248973]Most of the other stuff was put togther after his death.If you like the Lotr try the Elric series by Michael Moor****. Your crazy if you don't.

Tolkien was an amazing writer. Inventor of modern fantasy.
I remember jumping from Tolkien to Elric. Elric changed everything, it was so good. Went on to read the entire Eternal Champion collection. Started the whole fantasy train with Burrough's Tarzan and Mars books, then rolled into Howard's Conan then tackled the Rings trilogy. Of course, there were others.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #7
scott

Tolkien was an amazing writer. Inventor of modern fantasy.
I remember jumping from Tolkien to Elric. Elric changed everything, it was so good. Went on to read the entire Eternal Champion collection. Started the whole fantasy train with Burrough's Tarzan and Mars books, then rolled into Howard's Conan then tackled the Rings trilogy. Of course, there were others.[/QUOTE]

I rode that same train my good man.It was funny how many books I picked up that had Frazetta covers. Mainly the ERB & Howard books,btw which ERB book did you like the best? Also if you have not read any R.A. Salvatore's Dark elf books I would give them a try.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
protector2814
Phoenix

ERB? Was a sucker for Tarzan. I read em all and just ate them up. Especially loved when he made it down to Pelucadar (sp). I also enjoyed a few of Burrough's single story books. Remember Monster Men? Read all the Mars and Venus books and loved them all too. Remember driving from DC to Orlando a few times as a kid and just powering down Burroughs and Doc Savage novels. Hope you've read a few of The Man of Bronze. Will pick up Salvador's books. I see them all the time at Borders. I could talk about these authors all day long.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
scott

I have Monster Men but yet to read it. I have all of his books some 1st prints.I have read all the Mars but have yet to finsh Tarzan & Venus. He has so many books and I find that some books start to sound like others. So I took a break given time I will pick them back up. My favs are Jungle tales & Thuvia maid of Mars. I tried Doc Savage, could not get into it.Maybe I will give him a 2nd chance.I would start out with the Dark Elf Trilogy, that where it all begins.The series goes on for at least 12 books and justs get better book by book.Salavatore lets you get know the bad guys & you start to root for them as well as the heroes.A lot diffrent then Tolkien where Sauron was always a evil mystery, which worked great too.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
Jack8022
Daredevil

Actually if you're looking for some of R.A. Salvatore's books, I'd suggest the Demonwar books (I think that's what they're called). I thought that series was a much deeper and better read than the Drizzt books.
Jack8022 is offline   Reply With Quote