Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC / McFarlane

Old 03-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
carrillj
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Batman vs. Killer Croc – Comparison Pictures + Opinions

After viewing the Batman vs. Croc thread for so long and waiting for some good comparison pictures (that never came), I decided to "take one for the team" and purchased the statue, so I can see for myself and share with others. Since it was ordered on-line (before seen in person), I was excited about this buy, based on what others mentioned on the forum. Now that it’s here, I have to admit that maybe I let my expectations get a little too high, since I’m not completely satisfied with this purchase.

First the comparison pictures (with statues I had nearby):

As you might notice from the pictures (just as I did when I opened the box), is that the statue is fairly small. Now before any shouts out that it’s not fair to compare this scale to a Sideshow or Bowen, please know that I was basing my expectations on manufacturer’s specifications (just as it’s written on the box), which really is not what you are receiving. Here’s what they claim:

But here’s what the statue actually is (mostly cape):

14” tall
12” wide
8” deep

Of course the word “Approximately” written on the box is their disclaimer, but to me it’s unforgiveable. Everyone in this hobby knows that even an inch (especially 2.5” in height) is a huge difference!

As far as the paint job, I think it’s acceptable, but it really takes away from the sculptor’s awesome work. It’s nowhere near as good as promotional pictures or even the statue box art. The colors are fairly bland and really don’t give either of the characters life. I mean, is this a Batman and Killer Croc statue? Or a Batman on a base that looks like Killer Croc? Confusing at first, but it's obvious that the sculptor went all out to make this a dynamic battle.

With that said, is it worth $200(+)? YES, but...I think a rotating display base is a must, as someone posted here on the forum. There are just too many details that would need to be shown from all angles that only a rotating base could provide. I imagine it might even give off an illusion of battle.

I just wish that DC got the dimensions right, because I expected it to be tad bit bigger. It would have made a huge difference. Maybe next time.
carrillj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
neomatrix99

Thats what you get with DCD you can only show them off with other DCD statues, because compared to SS or Bowen, they are like figurines IMO, that being said this is probably one of the best Batman statues out there, considering that most of the others are only about 9" to 7" tall
neomatrix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
TK-421
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I really enjoy this line.

Have
Bat vs Croc
Supes vs DS
WW vs Ares
Bat vs Joker

Love them all. I think the detail on all 4 mentioned above are fantastic. Each new release seems to get better and better IMO. (except for Batgirl vs Catwoman)

Now I do not mix displays, so size is really not that important to me (that is what she said).
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

To have an appropriate concise discussion on this piece compared to products offered by competitors the only way to go about it would be to compare it to vs. or diorama pieces from the said competitors.

You can't gripe about the size of this when you are comparing it to 1/4 scale offerings from SS as opposed to showing it compared to something like the new IM vs. Namor.

Honestly man do we really need to have this conversation again? We get it, you like SS and Bowen but dislike DCD.
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=102512
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

did you really just buy this statue to prove some kind of point carillj?? if so I wish I had your kinda extra dough kickin around lol
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

So ridiculous... how about adding how much you paid for each statue in that pic?

There are Sideshow dios that are in this scale or smaller.

Give me a break. I should go take a picture of one of my Sideshow PFs next to MY CAR to show how small they really are.
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
TK-421
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
So ridiculous... how about adding how much you paid for each statue in that pic?

There are Sideshow dios that are in this scale or smaller.

Give me a break. I should go take a picture of one of my Sideshow PFs next to MY CAR to show how small they really are.

good one
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Gustavo Freire
Jubilee

I think this statue has a good size and the details are absolutely great.
Gustavo Freire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
adee
Green Arrow

I think this statue is kicks@ss! Scale matters little to me.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
carrillj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
To have an appropriate concise discussion on this piece compared to products offered by competitors the only way to go about it would be to compare it to vs. or diorama pieces from the said competitors.

You can't gripe about the size of this when you are comparing it to 1/4 scale offerings from SS as opposed to showing it compared to something like the new IM vs. Namor.

Honestly man do we really need to have this conversation again? We get it, you like SS and Bowen but dislike DCD.
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=102512
First of all, the comparison is to get an idea of size, not who makes a better statue. Do you really think I'm going to spend over $200 just to prove that Sideshow and Bowen are better than DC? Yeah, right!

Are some of you that dense to not see that some people like to get an idea of how big and detailed a statue is before making a purchase? That's the reason it's pictured along side other statues. I purchased the statue because I want to like it, not because I want to waste money to diss a company.

To even show a link about my dislike for the small size of the Cover Girls statue is rediculous. My opinion (or mini review) discusses the Batman vs. Killer Croc statue for what it is, without any comparison vs. another statue. Besides, other than the false manufacturer's claim of height, the review was positive.

I'm sure some people will value it, while others will be quick to whine (like they always do) when someone makes an honest critique about something they own. They are statues for crying out out, not your child, so don't get so defensive.
carrillj is offline   Reply With Quote