Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Tangyson
A day without sunshine is like... night.

pressure pot or paint pot?

Quick question may be a dumb one, but is a paint pot the same as a pressure pot? can a paint pot still be used as a pressure pot? Or are they the same thing?
Tangyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Alfred Paredes
Frackin!

Yes, a "paint pot" is a pressurized tank for spraying paint, but it can be converted to use as a pressure pot for molding and casting. It requires only a couple small parts and you're ready to go. Harbor Freight Tools is a great place to get these for very little money. I just bought a second one. These are usually the 2.5 gallon pots. The 5 gallon pots are difficult to find, and tend to cost over $400.

Hope that helps.

Alfred
Alfred Paredes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Spazzy
Hercules

I got to get one too, eyeballing a few diff ones.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Tangyson

Thanks alfred. gonna look into what components are needed to covert the paint pot.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
thatsmyboyblue
Doh!

I don't usually speak up on too many things, but I can tell you from my experience, be prepared for some headaches. Now I don't know if it is just my store location or not, but i have gone back to switch out the PP several times because of faulty seals and to bad hardware fittings. The latest issue nearly sent me over the edge with frustration. But luckily I'm very determined to make things work sometimes even in the face of logic. After several tries at taking every fitting off and using the prescribed amount of Teflon tape and reattaching the existing fittings with the new ones I got from Home Depot, I still had leaks. After a few hours of testing I lost several lbs. of pressure. If I left it overnight forget it. This led me to the latest issue with the 3rd PP. After utilizing the soapy water method to find leaks on all the usual suspects, I still had a leak. So I checked every inch of the thing by pouring soapy water of the entire surface. I finally found a small pinhole leak in 3 separate welds... Thankfully I had some stuff that I could use to seal them from both sides that worked perfectly. I'm currently at 12hrs without a single dip in pressure. All I can say is good luck my friend...
thatsmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
jayco35
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I used a paint pot for pressure casting and molding successfully for about 10 years. I then converted a small paint pot I was using for resin casting as a vacuum pot as well. It can be used for both as its just a matter of changing the lid and set up.

Here is my converted paintpot I use for my vacuum pot. I started vacuuming my rubber as it made more sense as some of my molds were too large to place in my paintpot while curing. When you vacuum your silicone you can pour you molds outside pressure pot. However you will be able to pressure cast them once they cure due to removal of majority of air before curing. So if you want to pressure cast your molds you have to do one of 2 things. vacuum the rubber and then let dry outside the tank on a flat surface. You can also create your molds in the pressure pot meaning the silicone will cure in the pot under pressure.
I have taken a few pics of my vacuum pot set up. The paint tank used was obtained from harbor freight the 2 1/2 gallon size. I put a plastic bag inside as a lining and add a 1gal. bucket with mixed silicone in it for run. Do about 1/2 gallon of silicone at a time. should you want to do more. you can spray mold release or matte finish in the tank itself and pour in there. you will get about 1 1/2 gallons done but you will have to clean the pot of dried silicone later on.

The lid can be made from an acrylic provider they will need the dimensions of the lip of tank or pot to make the correct lid. I was lucky as fritz( headlesshearseman) new some people who do this by him so I paid to have it done by them. The lid is expensive but necessary as you need it to be strong to hold the suction and be able to view the silicone rising and settling. A gage that measures vacuum pull up to 30 will suffice.

The last of main components is the vacuum pump. This hooks up with an air hose which you cab get with some hose clamps from hardware store. I purchased this new on eBay. there are several brands to get . I can only show what I use Robinair 5500 . You will need some compressor oil as well to operate. The new in box ones come usually with a starter bottle.

once you mix your silicone you will need to put the lid one start up the pump. Press down on the lid to get the vacuum started. you will see the Gage arm move when its working. keep an eye on the rising silicone. Turn off switch if if is going to hit the lid. You don't want silicone getting into the tube and ruining the pump. You can tun it on and off until it rises and settles down and you see tons of bubbles breaking on surface. I usually leave mine on 10 minutes is plenty. You can see my equipment is used and not the newest but you get the idea.
jayco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Tangyson

I will definitely revise every inch of the paint pot for leaks, now. It never crossed my mind to do so, I guess I was so exited to get one that I kinda expect it to work the way i want it to right away. Thank you for the great info jayco and boy blue i appreciate it.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
jayco35
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Another tip on creating a better seal for pressure tank lid. Use an old bicycle tire inner tube cut in half and to size drape around tank lip. This will help with existing gasket on your lid to help keep pressure in tank.
jayco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
Tangyson

I just got my paint pot yesterday, im gonna buy the components that i need attach them and do some test runs to check for any leaks, im gonna try using the old bike tire, thanks.