Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 06-10-2005, 02:39 AM   #1
Mugsy
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Figure balancing...???

Here's the deal. I got sad cause I've got 3 Underdog Maquettes from separate companies. I'm sad cause there are no 'Sweet Polly' Maquettes to accompany them. Like Superman and Lois Lane, Underdog has his 'Sweet Polly Purebred'.

Problem 2. She is a toon and is probably a caricature of someone. Her head is HUGE. The characters on the show are usually 'two heads' maybe '2 1/2 heads' in height. The female characters like Sweet Polly have tiny feet so you can see the problem. I'ld like to scupt one without a base but hey. So the question arose how do sculptors plan to make sure their finished product has the right balance?

Armatures may 'look' like their balanced but after a half pound of sculpey hits it it may not hold it's own.
Mugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
Lay-Z-boy
Sinister Six

You'll have to come up with some type of dress that will go all the
way down to the ground for additional support, something like this:

-U
Lay-Z-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

pm candice maybe she can make one for you out of the under dog statue!
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:18 PM   #4
Mugsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay-Z-boy
You'll have to come up with some type of dress that will go all the
way down to the ground for additional support, something like this:

-U
Wow! That's a great sketch of Sweet Polly! Not her usual get up but didn't know there was art on her all dolled up.

I'ld like to do a long dress but traditionally she has a midi-dress on that sort of reflects that retro 60's look. The ONLY toy of her I could find came from a company called 'Exclusive Premiere'. Their sculptor solved the problem by adding a microphone in one hand that ran flush down her leg and pooled into a coil on the bottom that acted like a base.

Since mikes don't have the cables anymore that might not work but might. The only thing else I can think of is she sometimes carried a pocket book. I could use a long strapped one to rest on the ground making a base. It's just that the character has such signature poses I don't want to compromise with that. Although I like the retro look of the character especially the hairstyle I may have to make a modification.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
Mugsy

As you can see from this same site here's a more on model sketch of Polly. Her head is so big I would have to add to her already pronounced booty. I'll try to take a pic of the Polly toy I mentioned above so you can see how their sculptor solved the prob. I want a piece that's totally Polly as we all grew up laughing with the show.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
Mugsy

Here's the toy based on Polly. Sorry for the resolution I'm using a Logitech quick cam and software. You can see in her left hand she's holding a microphone which the cord/cable pools into a spiral which is the base.