Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > CS Moore Studio

Old 08-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #71
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by msw313 View Post
Now, if he would just do a Solomon Kane...
That would be great also, but I don't know how wide the market would be for that piece due to limited popularity of the character not in anyway reflective of Clay's awesome sculpting.

Going off the R E Howard for just a minute I wonder if Clay has ever looked into getting the license for Kane. I know Karl Edward Wagner has passed away, but I'm sure somebody has his rights. I would love to see clay do Frazetta's "Nightwinds", but really any Kane sculpt from him would be awesome. Bloodstone, Kane on the Golden Sea, or just a Kane interpretted from the stories (like the Kull) that bypasses the Frazettas all together. But my preference would be a "Nightwinds" sculpt.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #72
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
As a lifelong fan of the genre in general and Robert E Howard in particular, this along with the barbarian and the snow giants, is one of my favorite statues and I'm glad Clay did it this way.
I couldn't agree more. I feel, and I may be wrong, that Clay's Kull is geared for the Kull/Howard reader. The statue stands on it's own as well...a beautiful sculpt and I expect a lion's share of buyers may not be as familar with Howard's writings. But...if your a true Kull fan with a passion for sword and sorcery, than this statue's a real gift.

Clay, always cool to here directly from you. Thanks.
Think about Elric....please.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #73
Vracula
Jedi Order

although hardheros kull is good.I think everyone agrees Clays kull is in a league of its own.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:09 AM   #74
msw313
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
although hardheros kull is good.I think everyone agrees Clays kull is in a league of its own.
HH Kull is an excellent interpretation of the Mike Ploog/John Severin Kull from Marvel's '70s comic book version of the character.

Clay's Kull mines the character's literary roots and gives us an alternative version that is true to his creator's vision.

Each is good (and valid) in its own way, depending on your preferred version of the character. But, as pure art, Clay's rendition blows HH out of the water in style and execution!
msw313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:00 AM   #75
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Since the original Kull stories were written in the 1930's, we have had 70+ years of artist renditions of Kull. I agree with Clay that most were intentionally made to resemble the more popular Conan character for marketing purposes. The most recognizeable Kull in terms of the general public is the overly musclebound Marvel Comics version that was captured nicely (if that is your preferred version) by Hard Hero. But in terms of how he is described by Robert E Howard in the original stories, I really like this sculpt. I hope Moore's sales of this amazing piece don't suffer because of the general public perception of what Kull "should" look like. As a lifelong fan of the genre in general and Robert E Howard in particular, this along with the barbarian and the snow giants, is one of my favorite statues and I'm glad Clay did it this way.
In total agreement.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote