Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 07-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #21
protector2814
Phoenix

Ghost Rider has just been a terrific Monthly, period. I haven't picked up a "trade-vibe" while enjoying it the past several years. No more so than any other comic that's been collected into a book.

If Aaron wants to take a break, he's earned it on this title. Just hope he hurries back soon. The story has actually been quite, enjoyably convoluted with a themed thread running throughout w/ John Storm having to collect a ton of escaped demons in order to keep his freedom. Recently, there's been a rather large story which will be collected, but on the whole, just a kick-a$$ monthly.

Back on the subject on Moon Knight, I'll give credit where credit's due. This last multi-parter, with Spector down South of the Boarder hunting a kidnapped Baron's Daughter guest-starring an underused Punisher, was a great little self contained, non psycho-babble, Moon Knight story. The first I've truly enjoyed since the relaunch.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #22
risingstar
Jedi Order

I bought both MK hcs. Okay, while I wasn't floored, the Finch artwork was astounding enough to get me through it unscathed. After Morrison's X-Men, the MK run reads like Shakespeare. I've lost all objectivity for "awful" after reading Morrison.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #23
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
This is probably a question for another thread, but with things like these and James Robinson's Justice series ahead of his JLA run, do you think we're seeing the next step in comics' evolution, with a lot of titles one day becoming a sequence of trade-friendly limited series?
I hope not, but trades are what's driving the direction of monthly comic stories and seem to be what sells best. You may well be right. Who knows? The monthlies may go away entirely and comics may be published just as trades.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #24
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Ghost Rider has just been a terrific Monthly, period. I haven't picked up a "trade-vibe" while enjoying it the past several years. No more so than any other comic that's been collected into a book.

If Aaron wants to take a break, he's earned it on this title. Just hope he hurries back soon. The story has actually been quite, enjoyably convoluted with a themed thread running throughout w/ John Storm having to collect a ton of escaped demons in order to keep his freedom. Recently, there's been a rather large story which will be collected, but on the whole, just a kick-a$$ monthly.

We've seen that type of storyline or theme a number of times before, even on TV. What makes this revisit different enough to stand on its own? Isn't there a risk of this becoming a "demon of the month" book? Hell just isn't what it used to be anymore.

P.S. Hell really needs to beef up its security. It's not like they have a union or money issues to worry about.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #25
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:

Back on the subject on Moon Knight, I'll give credit where credit's due. This last multi-parter, with Spector down South of the Boarder hunting a kidnapped BAron's Daughter guest-starring an underused Punisher, was a great little self contained, non psycho-babble, Moon Knight story. The first I've truly enjoyed since the relaunch.
So true on Ghost Rider. But I don't think Aaron's taking a break as much as Marvel's maybe setting a strange publishing schedule for the upcoming shorter series.

And I totally agree on the last Moon Knight arc. I really liked it, and all of Mike Benson's run on it. Charlie Huston's written some novels I've really enjoyed but, despite Finch's art, his Moon Knight was incomprehensible.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #26
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
We've seen that type of storyline or theme a number of times before, even on TV. What makes this revisit different enough to stand on its own? Isn't there a risk of this becoming a "demon of the month" book? Hell just isn't what it used to be anymore.

P.S. Hell really needs to beef up its security. It's not like they have a union or money issues to worry about.
There've been other stories about God being overthrown in the Kingdom of Heaven? This Ghost Rider story has felt unique to me all the way around. But, maybe, that's because I really don't watch TV anymore.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #27
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:

I hear ya and am the 1st to pick up on re-used plot devices (*cough, cough ... X-Men Utopia), but this run of Ghost Rider is both retro and groundbreaking at the same time. With the Rider, you're gonna have demons, but remember, his title kinda invented their use in comics..sorry Constantine. Writer, Daniel Way kicked the series off and, while using that tried and true bounty-hunter plot-device that you've read before, updated it tremendously. A tremendously powerful demon escaped Hell w/ Blaze (along w/ several more) and the road stories involving Blaze and this bad-a$$ have been jaw-dropping. Trust me, they're fresh.
Enter writer Aaron a while back and we're presented with a Ghost Rider Epic involving his brother Danny Ketch, and tons of old friends and enemies.
Aaron also managed to slip in a couple single-issue, stand-alone stories that would make excellent GR movies (The best involving a Demon-Trucker).

I've started threads on how effing good this book is and hold myself back from starting new ones monthly.
Like I say, screw the cross-over events, Marvel's still churning out a few old-school, 70's style comic books that a lot of folks aren't reading 'cause of preconceived notions.
This is the best Ghost Rider run in the character's history, i.m.o..
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #28
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
There've been other stories about God being overthrown in the Kingdom of Heaven? This Ghost Rider story has felt unique to me all the way around. But, maybe, that's because I really don't watch TV anymore.

Goodness, I wasn't even aware of that part as it wasn't mentioned in the post I was quoting... I was referring to the escaped demon component. That's what I was commenting on.

All this to say that this title warrants a pick up! Has this book been reprinted in a larger size HC yet?

Quote:
I
Enter writer Aaron a while back and we're presented with a Ghost Rider Epic involving his brother Danny Ketch, and tons of old friends and enemies.
Aaron also managed to slip in a couple single-issue, stand-alone stories that would make excellent GR movies (The best involving a Demon-Trucker).

I've started threads on how effing good this book is and hold myself back from starting new ones monthly.
Like I say, screw the cross-over events, Marvel's still churning out a few old-school, 70's style comic books that a lot of folks aren't reading 'cause of preconceived notions.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #29
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Goodness, I wasn't even aware of that part as it wasn't mentioned in the post I was quoting... I was referring to the escaped demon component. That's what I was commenting on.

All this to say that this title warrants a pick up! Has this book been reprinted in a larger size HC yet?
Not yet but I'm sure it's coming.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:47 AM   #30
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
...Enter writer Aaron a while back and we're presented with a Ghost Rider Epic involving his brother Danny Ketch, and tons of old friends and enemies.

Preach it, brother. I reviewed this issue in the Mighty reviews a few months back and credit must also be given to Tony Moore who just blew the roof off with his art on this issue!