Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Bob Aboey
I am da law!

When is "bashing" constructive vs. pointless?

Recently I created a thread where I took aim at arguably the most prominent producer of comic-related statues in North America and, quite possibly, the world over their decision to re-release a limited edition piece they had released a decade earlier with little to know change in the sculpt. I drew similar examples of this producer's behaviour over recent years and was frankly shocked at the support I received. Typically, when offering anything but outright fawning for Randy Bowen and his company, I am met with a barrage of less than flattering comments about my intelligence, the sexual habits of the women in my family, etc. I even had dialogue with Randy, himself over a couple of comments I made. In this particular thread, after 2+ pages of members here agreeing and expressing their frustration with the producer, A Mod here gazed intently into their crystal ball and saw that the point had been made, it would degenerate into a bashing thread, and that we should move on. That we had made our point. But to whom was our point made? And is it not the function of a forum to spread and share these points? Perhaps one of this producer's many sycophants lurking here will relay the displeasure over the decisions his company has been making and maybe it will be a sobering shock that will prompt change. Maybe it will remain here in these forum walls and as more members opt to voice their views on the subject, the forum and its membership will become stronger for it.

If StatueForum has become a place where fans of the hobby can no longer express their frustration at a once-great company then what, exactly, is the "forum" aspect of this place? Why is it verboten to crap all over a producer that we, the consumer feels is crapping all over us? Profanity and personal attacks are as meaningless as they are fruitless but, in the absence of those types of comments, why would a Mod feel it appropriate to close a discussion so early? We have "name that movie" "When is it appropriate to use the F word" etc. threads that have been open for what feels like years. Could there be more wastes of thread space around here? I doubt it, but forum members like it and it flourishes from a view/reply perspective, while offering little in the way of meaningful discussion about our hobby.

So I ask, in open view for the membership to learn from, what was the rationale used by the mods to close a thread where members were expressing their displeasure for a producer and their product without being vulgar or profane?
Bob Aboey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

This place is a community as much as it is a "forum about statues", so "useless threads" like the "f-word"/"name that movie"/"Pull Coca's finger" threads you're referring to? They help everyone get through their workday/have a good time together.

IE.. they're not "useless".

Statue Forum lets people critique constructively AND b!tch and moan incessantly (to a point); it's only when threads have the same complaints made 30-40 times, with people agreeing with those complaints, that the Moderators step in and say "that's enough".

If the Producer doesn't get the message by then (that is if that company's even privy to the conversation/criticisms that are going on), then they either think we're a verbal "few" and not the majority and dismiss the complaints/criticism, or they take stock of what's being said and take positive action towards rectifying the situation (ie reissuing statue heads/statue bases/refunds/whatever).

You can't beat a dog to death for tearing up your Evening Edition, then expect it to fetch your paper tomorrow; it's dead. You've killed it.

Some members on here cross the fine line between voicing their opinion vs. going on a w!tch-hunt, every so often; w!tch-hunts aren't necessary.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
This place is a community as much as it is a "forum about statues", so "useless threads" like the "f-word"/"name that movie"/"Pull Coca's finger" threads you're referring to? They help everyone get through their workday/have a good time together.

IE.. they're not "useless".

Statue Forum lets people critique constructively AND b!tch and moan incessantly (to a point); it's only when threads have the same complaints made 30-40 times, with people agreeing with those complaints, that the Moderators step in and say "that's enough".

If the Producer doesn't get the message by then (that is if that company's even privy to the conversation/criticisms that are going on), then they either think we're a verbal "few" and not the majority and dismiss the complaints/criticism, or they take stock of what's being said and take positive action towards rectifying the situation (ie reissuing statue heads/statue bases/refunds/whatever).

You can't beat a dog to death for tearing up your Evening Edition, then expect it to fetch your paper tomorrow; it's dead. You've killed it.

Some members on here cross the fine line between voicing their opinion vs. going on a w!tch-hunt, every so often; w!tch-hunts aren't necessary.
Please don't.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

The thread is still there. It hasn't been deleted and if RB wants to read it it is still available. It was quite obvious how that thread was going to turn out. There was already a long and drawn out discussion on this bust. There was no need to start another one.

Last edited by Bullseye; 10-20-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Please don't.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
The thread is still there. It hasn't been deleted and if RB wants to read it it is still available. It was quite obvious how that thread was going to turn out. There was already a long and drawn out discussion on this bust. There was no need to start another one.

I think this is what the OP was addressing. In essence, if a potentially contentious thread is launched, people generally have a limited amount of time, perhaps as little as a day or two, to share a thought on the topic before the thread is closed. Thing is, not every one who visits the forum visits on a daily basis or even every other day. The forum may lose out on some thoughtful posts as a result of shutting down the thread because it might appear repetitive to those who spend lots of time here.

JMO

P.S. Personally, I don't there's anything that can be said about BD which hasn't be said already. However, that's not to say everyone is statueland has already heard it, said it, or believes it. Some debates do seem to have life cycles to them, just with different people. Do the people who come later (even with far too familiar gripes) deserve less space to share their thoughts simply because it's already been said by others or they came too late to join the party?
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

In the past people have shown to be incapable of behaving themselves in the BD section. You have the diehards who will not allow anything negative to be said and you have the people who have nothing good to say.

If one of the other mods want to reopen it and babysit what is bound to turn into another Bowen bashing thread fair enough.

BTW it not only appears repetitive it is.

Last edited by Bullseye; 10-20-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

as Bulls stated. the thread is still there, yes it generated a good bit of interest but history has proved itself multiple times that even a well thought out thread in that section will lead to pointless "bashing" and for the sanity of the mods and others on the forums it is typically closed.

it is not done to stop a member from posting their thoughts on a subject, it is done to ensure that folks do not take it to a level that is not needed.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Bob Aboey
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
P.S. Personally, I don't there's anything that can be said about BD which hasn't be said already. However, that's not to say everyone is statueland has already heard it, said it, or believes it. Some debates do seem to have life cycles to them, just with different people. Do the people who come later (even with far too familiar gripes) deserve less space to share their thoughts simply because it's already been said by others or they came too late to join the party?
I guess this was part of my point. My only issue with the "lifecycle" of the debate is that there isn't an imposed lifecycle to a producer's behaviour that members here have issues with. I'm right behind the mods in agreeing that comments should be free of offensive language. I guess that "I know where this is going..." seems very dismissive, to me. Especially when it was instituted in this instance. Let us "get it out of our system" until someone crosses the line. A preemptive strike like this on a discussion forum seems counter-productive to the purpose of its existence.
Bob Aboey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I'm sorry you felt that statement was dismissive. It certainly was not intended to be. But there was already a thread on this very subject and I'm sure it is still there if not on the first page the second page.