Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #1231
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I loved Dr. Strange's battles against Dracula. From the write up of this book, it appears he's battling vampires again in this one. I've just never read these stories and can't vouch for how good they are. Gene Colan's one of the artists and his art just can't be beat. The vampire element makes this tempting but I'm going to pass this time around as, lately, I've bought too many trade collections that I ended up not liking and don't want to do that here, and the rotating creative teams on writing and art make me nervous.
I hear that alot. I wonder if anyone read that Strange run when it was released as single issues. No one i know seems to read it before. This run seems like such an odd choise by Marvel to collect as omnibus...
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:44 PM   #1232
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I hear that alot. I wonder if anyone read that Strange run when it was released as single issues. No one i know seems to read it before. This run seems like such an odd choise by Marvel to collect as omnibus...
I went down to my long boxes to check - I have the run starting w/ issue #5 thru #56, It went from being titled just Doctor Strange to Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme in issue #14. Not sure why I stopped or how much longer it went after that. Flicking thru, the early issues are beautiful, with Roy Thomas & Danny Thomas writing & Jackson Guice on art. It's a real 80's book w/ some great Doc/Clea stories along w/ those including Morbius , Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Hobgoblin, Enchantress, WWbN, Red Wolf, a 5-ish arc called The Vampire Verses, Silver Surfer, etc. The book looks like it took a quality tumble in it's later issues. I'm going to reread the series now that I've pulled them. The covers are amazing & have that real 80's/Sienkiewicz/Moon Knight vibe (The ones Clea's on have her drawn fantastically).
Based on what I have, I'd buy the Omni.

& my two cents on the rerelease debate, buy the Ennis' Punisher Omni to anyone on the fence. I bought it the 1st time & it's freaking fantastic. I have the Simonson' Thor too & I get a hell of a lot more reading pleasure from the Ennis' Punisher.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #1233
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Thanks, Jerry! An expert opinion, folks!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:44 AM   #1234
protector2814
Phoenix

"an expert's opinion" with my just horrible, rushed grammar.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #1235
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Thanks Protector2814. Really appreciated.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #1236
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I went down to my long boxes to check - I have the run starting w/ issue #5 thru #56, It went from being titled just Doctor Strange to Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme in issue #14. Not sure why I stopped or how much longer it went after that. Flicking thru, the early issues are beautiful, with Roy Thomas & Danny Thomas writing & Jackson Guice on art. It's a real 80's book w/ some great Doc/Clea stories along w/ those including Morbius , Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Hobgoblin, Enchantress, WWbN, Red Wolf, a 5-ish arc called The Vampire Verses, Silver Surfer, etc. The book looks like it took a quality tumble in it's later issues. I'm going to reread the series now that I've pulled them. The covers are amazing & have that real 80's/Sienkiewicz/Moon Knight vibe (The ones Clea's on have her drawn fantastically).
Based on what I have, I'd buy the Omni.

& my two cents on the rerelease debate, buy the Ennis' Punisher Omni to anyone on the fence. I bought it the 1st time & it's freaking fantastic. I have the Simonson' Thor too & I get a hell of a lot more reading pleasure from the Ennis' Punisher.
Thanks for all of this info!

I've taken a good look at my finances and I pretty much need to shut it down for the rest of 2017. I am making my payments on Thanos and have one other statue on order coming Nov-ish I need to save for. I think I MIGHT be able to get one omnibus and I think IIF I can I will get the Thor one. Going by the buzz in the Omni community that is one of the most anticipated and I think it has the best chance of going out of print - with the Ennis Punisher being a close second. I just need to pump the brakes on my spending so it's time I accept I can't buy all the books coming out I want
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #1237
Mister H
Gen 13

I'll be getting all three Thor omnibus books plus Swamp Thing, the Punisher, and Cap in December. When does that Thanos come out J? Can't wait to see your pics.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:48 PM   #1238
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I'll be getting all three Thor omnibus books plus Swamp Thing, the Punisher, and Cap in December. When does that Thanos come out J? Can't wait to see your pics.
What other Thor omnibuses? I only know about the one reprint. And what Swamp Thing for that matter?

Thanos is set to ship Jan - March. Then I'm done with statues. They are now a rich man's game and I am now. I may just stick to omnibuses to collect. I am looking forward to him so badly though, cannot wait to take some pics!
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #1239
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
What other Thor omnibuses? I only know about the one reprint. And what Swamp Thing for that matter?

Thanos is set to ship Jan - March. Then I'm done with statues. They are now a rich man's game and I am now. I may just stick to omnibuses to collect. I am looking forward to him so badly though, cannot wait to take some pics!
Walt Simonson Thor (which I assume is what you're talking about)

Thor: Heroes Return Omnibus- Jurgens and Romita jr.

Mighty Thor Omnibus volume 3. Stan Lee, Kirby, Adams, etc.

They all come out about the same time. I'll definitely get the Simonson and Lee versions. I want the Heroes Return version but can wait a little while for it. Also,
Swamp Thing: Bronze Age Omnibus. Can't wait for that one, Swampy is finally getting some love in books and statue form.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #1240
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
Then I'm done with statues.
Famous last words my brotha.