Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-25-2023, 04:02 AM   #101
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
Umm nope. Not where I live. All of my pleather statues have experienced deterioration. My statues were not wet and stored in their original boxes.

I?m not making this up.. do some research and you'll this happens to lots of Hot Toys collectors (I doubt statue makers are using better quality pleather). It may not have happened to you but it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen to others.

Just type "pleather flaking", "pleather damage" on YouTube and you'll see plenty of examples. I'm sure plenty have seen a pleather couch or car seat flake right?

The problem with most of those examples are that they are all heavily handled on a continuous basis. Whereas with statues, you should barely be touching them, and if they’re in cabinets there’s even less reason to.

As to the flaking occurring while still in box, I guess there is a reason why many statues have desiccant packets in their boxes, whereas for whatever reason figure company’s do not.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 06:49 AM   #102
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Same. The only 1/4 Batman I currently own is the DCD Batman Inc, and the 89 Keaton PF, so I have some room for a good Bats in my colection. I dismissed this entirely when I first saw it, then when I saw the lineup of pieces they have coming I did a double take. It has really grown on me.

T, you've just helped re-establish a little faith in a more collecting sane reality.

As I know nothing regarding these comic based story lines, my purchasing of these statues is purely based on line/form/portrait/vibe, (artistic, sculptural merits). And I'm frankly amazed at the fantastic, different variations/takes on many of characters offered out there.

But every time I'm exposed to something "fresh & new", (again, as far as I'm concerned, everything is!), I get excited, intrigued, and when considering a sculpt of this quality, I expected off the charts excitement, insights into the story line,............whatever. But I found none, and incredibly it never comes?

This is a master sculpt regardless of story line, I'm simply amazed that folks did not react as expected, (once again!), for something so fine? Botton line, if we can't support this,.................??????

P.S. And why nobody hadn't noticed/mentioned that this may be the BEST fcking Bats portrait ever, is another mystery for me?
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 06:56 AM   #103
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
T, you've just helped re-establish a little faith in a more collecting sane reality.

As I know nothing regarding these comic based story lines, my purchasing of these statues is purely based on line/form/portrait/vibe, (artistic, sculptural merits). And I'm frankly amazed at the fantastic, different variations/takes on many of characters offered out there.

But every time I'm exposed to something "fresh & new", (again, as far as I'm concerned, everything is!), I get excited, intrigued, and when considering a sculpt of this quality, I expected off the charts excitement, insights into the story line,............whatever. But I found known, and it never comes?

This is a master sculpt regardless of story line, I'm simply amazed that folks did not react as expected, (once again!), for something so fine? Botton line, if we can't support this,.................??????

P.S. And why nobody noticed/mentioned that this may be the BEST fcking Bats portrait ever, is another mystery for me?
There's an animated movie for this story that came out years ago. You should give it a watch. From memory, it's sort of a Jack the Ripper in Victorian London kind of story.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 01:24 PM   #104
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlovelace View Post
Dang, this one is now growing on me. Will probably wind up getting it after I sell a piece to make room for it.
Ya its awesome, i think the cape is the weakest part of it, but the rest is awesome, and love that they did a different type of base rather than a gargoyle.

I want it but I can only have 1 batman and hoping for a more jim lee hush inspired PF.
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 06:08 PM   #105
IronLungs31
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Umm nope. Not where I live. All of my pleather statues have experienced deterioration. My statues were not wet and stored in their original boxes.

I?m not making this up.. do some research and you'll this happens to lots of Hot Toys collectors (I doubt statue makers are using better quality pleather). It may not have happened to you but it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen to others.

Just type "pleather flaking", "pleather damage" on YouTube and you'll see plenty of examples. I'm sure plenty have seen a pleather couch or car seat flake right?

Oh dang! But to be honest these are examples of a couch that probably heavily sat on for years. Like I said earlier if not wet, direct sunlight or some type of extreme heat. Your pleather experience should be just fine. The only piece that I have in my collection that has pleather is the most recent Taskmaster PF. I have to wait and see what happens over the years with that piece.
IronLungs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 06:23 PM   #106
Biggunz
Loki

Yeah with no sculpted cape $500 probably seems fair price.
Biggunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:06 PM   #107
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
The problem with most of those examples are that they are all heavily handled on a continuous basis. Whereas with statues, you should barely be touching them, and if they?re in cabinets there?s even less reason to.

As to the flaking occurring while still in box, I guess there is a reason why many statues have desiccant packets in their boxes, whereas for whatever reason figure company?s do not.
Ok I?ll give you the couch. But this doesn?t happen with leather couches. As for the Hot Toys figures I disagree. Most collectors leave them in the box or have them displayed in a neutral. The pleather would hardly be handled frequently.

It also doesn?t change the fact that there are a lot of reports of pleather capes and jackets developing cracks and flakes (mine included) despite being in the box or displayed with minimal touching. As for the desiccant packs that doesn?t say anything. Sideshow puts desiccant packs into fully polystone statues.
darren1228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:11 PM   #108
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLungs31 View Post
Like I said earlier if not wet, direct sunlight or some type of extreme heat. Your pleather experience should be just fine.
Oh damn thank you for your reminder. I?ll remember not to play with my statues in the bathtub or under the hot sun in the future. Why didn?t I think of that
Old 07-25-2023, 08:16 PM   #109
Straken-SWE
The X-Men

Quote:
Oh damn thank you for your reminder. I?ll remember not to play with my statues in the bathtub or under the hot sun in the future. Why didn?t I think of that
Its easy to get carried away, we have all been there
Straken-SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:22 PM   #110
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken-SWE View Post
Its easy to get carried away, we have all been there
Just had an epic Killer Croc PF vs Batman PF (first SS Batman) in the bathtub just last night. Pleather deterioration? Worth it