Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-15-2014, 12:25 AM   #1101
SONICobra
Batman

the "spiderman" lettering looks a little too polished to me, they should have left it out. i prefer the back alley graffiti look over the a professional artist did a spidey mural in an alley with an air brush. overall looks nice though, the color combo looks cool
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:02 AM   #1102
Medusoid
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Honestly, I like the variant more than the original. I love the colors.
Medusoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:14 AM   #1103
Thor57
Teen Titans

Does anyone have this Spider-Man that also has the XM Cap or Hulk? I'd like to see how they look together. I like the overtly comic feel of this Spider-Man and I think it'd fit well with the comic look of what XM has got going.

Thanks.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:24 AM   #1104
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
Everyone's biggest concern when the original one was released was the paint app from proto to production. They went from a sweet looking matte red on the proto to a low-budget glossy Bowen looking type of paint app on the production. The lines were painted on the proto, but when released, they were grooved with most of them painted like ----.

Well if you look at the proto paint app of the new production variant, they seemed to have used that same sweet matte red paint app. You can tell they just professionally repainted a production piece, because of the grooved in lines on his costume. There is absolutely no way the lines are gonna come out looking as good as this. SS's already proved that.

Gentle Giant can paint better grooved lines on a smaller, more difficult scale Spider-Man Mini-Bust than Sideshow can paint on a larger full scale statue.

If you look at the picture between the two releases, you can easily identify the matte red from the glossy. I can bet it'll come out glossy again with ----ty painted lines...again.
Actually mine is painted very well. The red is great and I don't have the sloppy black on mine I have seen in some others. The blue really pops as well.

Only thing really changed was grooved instead of painted lines. That aspect doesn't bother me, though they should have shown it well before it came out, as they had to know early on they would need to sculpt in the lines.

I think the new one looks pretty good, not sure I would have chosen it if available at the same time though. I'm fine with the one I have though, no interest in this version.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #1105
OrangeCrush
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post
other than announcing a varient after-the-fact, I have no issue with it. More choice is always a good thing imho, just let folks know from the beginning, like the recent hulk pfs.
Well, I for one have to disagree. Yes, in most cases the more choices one has the better, but that just isnt the case when it comes to releasing variants/reprints/reproductions into the limited edition collectible markets. What has happened the last 2-3 years in the Aspen/Michael Turner print market is an absolutely picture perfect example of just what happens whan you give people the choice to buy such reprints/variants/reproductions.

If someone wanted to buy a signed Michael Turner print, they had to spend the $200-$300 bucks required to get one. Then Aspen started releasing a bunch of low cost variants/reprints and suddenly people had a choice. They could either hunt down one of the originals, which isnt easy in many cases, and spend the $200-$300 or they could simply spend $40-$50 bucks on a readily available reprint/variant. Its pretty obvious what route many collectors are going to take in those situations, especially the ones that have limited funds or have been unable to find an original. Of course, once those collectors purchase a variant/reprint, they no longer really need the original. So it causes a drop in overall demand for the originals, which in turn causes a drop in overall value.

Its pretty easy figuring out who is in favor and who is against these kinds of business moves. The people that don't have the originals will LOVE the variants/reprints as they are now able to aquire a piece they wanted for very little money, at least compared to the original, and the people that own the originals will hate them as they wind up hurting the overall demand and value of the originals. Again, what has happened with the Michael Turner/Aspen print market these last couple years is an absolutely picture perfect examples of just what happens when you start introducing reprints/variants/reproductions into a limited edition market. Its not a good thing!!

The way I see it, variants are companies putting easy profits ahead of thier overall integrity, in regards to following the basic tenants of the limited edition markets. They want the best of both worlds as they want thier pieces to be limited editions, yet at the same time they want to be able to produce more of them if need be. You cant have it both ways, not if you actually want people to trust a partciualr company and continue paying premium prices for thier limited editions. Limited editions should be exactly that, limited editions. As I have said before on this topic, once the final limited edition piece/print is sold, it should be permanently retired, and I do mean permanently. The collectors that wind up buying those pieces deserve no less. If a company isn't going to follow the basic tenants of the limited edition market then they should get out of the limited edition market and produce open editions instead. That way they can make as many as they want and release as many variants as they want.

I will agree that if the companies were to tell people at the announcment of the originals that a variant will be produced somewhere down the line...well, I wouldnt have a problem with that as then people know going in exactly what they are getting. I would still prefer that no variants were produced at all, but if variants are going to be produced, thats at least an honest way of going about it. Producing a variant out of the blue, for a limited edition piece, is nothing short of dishonest in my book. The whole thing makes a mockery of limited editions.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #1106
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
Does anyone have this Spider-Man that also has the XM Cap or Hulk? I'd like to see how they look together. I like the overtly comic feel of this Spider-Man and I think it'd fit well with the comic look of what XM has got going.

Thanks.
I don't have either, but from pictures Spidey would look tiny compared to those two.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #1107
Thor57
Teen Titans

Ya know, you're right and I just now noticed it was only 1/5. Sooooooo, that puts that out lol.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:23 AM   #1108
scoobysnax
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Man the variant colour looks better imo. So annoyed cause I have the original ex already. Will the variant have an ex as well?
scoobysnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:30 AM   #1109
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysnax View Post
Man the variant colour looks better imo. So annoyed cause I have the original ex already. Will the variant have an ex as well?
Not from the preview pics already shown, but we will have to wait and see.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #1110
Medusoid
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

It's up for order now.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectib...tatue-20141016
Medusoid is offline   Reply With Quote