Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 10-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormshadow75x View Post
I get what you're saying ... but honestly do you really see him as being a necessary piece towards winning a championship???

I mean i could understand if he was taking this team to the WS every year ... but he's not...

I've been watching sports since '85 & the only player I would ever pay that amount of money would be Michael Jordan & that's because you knew he was gonna bring a championship every year
yes i do...i just dont see how you cant keep the best player in the game but thats just me...do you think he will keep coming up short in the playoffs? i dont but again my opinion..
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
yes i do...i just dont see how you cant keep the best player in the game but thats just me...do you think he will keep coming up short in the playoffs? i dont but again my opinion..
To follow up on Boonie's comment - putting aside financial considerations, should the Twins refuse to re-sign Santana because they failed to make the play-offs this year or because he is 1-3 with 2 no decisions in his play-off career? Of course not. He's the best pitcher and regardless of whether the team ultimately wins the World Series the positive stats contribute immensly.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:31 PM   #13
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
To follow up on Boonie's comment - putting aside financial considerations, should the Twins refuse to re-sign Santana because they failed to make the play-offs this year or because he is 1-3 with 2 no decisions in his play-off career? Of course not. He's the best pitcher and regardless of whether the team ultimately wins the World Series the positive stats contribute immensly.
thats what i mean..
you gotta keep the best player in the game on your squad... gotta!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:01 PM   #14
stormshadow75x
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post

The difference is you're now talking about pitching...
Pitching is @ a premium especially in this day in age...

Remeber good pitching always stops good hitting in the playoffs....

Look @ what Carmona & Sabathia did to the Yankees.. look @ what Beckett has done so far...

I don't have a problem for overpaying for good pitching... Just like I wouldn't have a problem overpaying for Mariano or Santana
stormshadow75x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #15
Car50n
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

u can answer why he deserves more then anyone in baseball by thinking of it as an investment more then just one player on a team.
-Yankee season ticket sales shot up dramatically when AROD was signed. they were a couple hundred thousand short of 4 million the year he signed, and now are consistently selling 4 million yankee stadium seats.
-yankee merchandise was the best selling MLB merchadise, and got even better when he signed(note: yankee merchandise sales provide a significant amount of the shared revenue of MLB merchandise, which is evenly distributed and not weighed towards the selling team)
-the yankee network's value has shot up TWO BILLION(with a B) since arods arrival.

you can argue that no single player is worth that much to a TEAM. but u cant deny that he could easily be worth it to a business/organizition.
Car50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:10 PM   #16
'Nuff
ROT Minister of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collection King 13 View Post
The Yanks will keep ARod and give him that $300 Million... and during that time ARod will break Barrys Home run record.... nobody on the Yankees now could match up to ARod's #s...
I agree with CK...That alone is priceless...
'Nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:12 PM   #17
worldbreaker13
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
why wouldnt you sign the best player in baseball? and have him break all types of records in pinstripes?

yankees make the money and theyll spend it...
Can we take all that money and spend it on something we need..............pitching. Give me a 3rd basemen with a sound glove ,hits 280, 20-25 hr's, 100 rbi's. Give me scott brosius.
worldbreaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 PM   #18
stormshadow75x
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car50n View Post
u can answer why he deserves more then anyone in baseball by thinking of it as an investment more then just one player on a team.
-Yankee season ticket sales shot up dramatically when AROD was signed. they were a couple hundred thousand short of 4 million the year he signed, and now are consistently selling 4 million yankee stadium seats.
-yankee merchandise was the best selling MLB merchadise, and got even better when he signed(note: yankee merchandise sales provide a significant amount of the shared revenue of MLB merchandise, which is evenly distributed and not weighed towards the selling team)
-the yankee network's value has shot up TWO BILLION(with a B) since arods arrival.

you can argue that no single player is worth that much to a TEAM. but u cant deny that he could easily be worth it to a business/organizition.
But what does that really matter to the fans??? Do Yankee fans really care that George is now gonna make more money or does the Yankee fan care about having a winning team that will win championships...

I mentioned this before ... but in 2008 the Yankees will have record attendance not because of A-Rod or how good the team is but because it will be the last year of a historic stadium's run... Then you have the opening of a brand new ball park that will also help maintain those attendance numbers....

Then if you think about it ... If Joba, Kennedy & Hughes wind up being as good as everyone is hoping them to be.... the Yankees will be in great shape without necessarily needing A-Rod

I guess I'm just surprised that so manyYankee fans want him back @ the money Boras' asking for.....
stormshadow75x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #19
Car50n
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

2002 - 3,465,807
2003 - 3,465,600

2004 - 3,775,292 - AROD signs
2005 - 4,090,440
2006 - 4,200,518
2007 - 4,271,867

Team Revenue is about $300 mil. YES network revenue is aver $350 mil.

If arod leaves, it's estimated they'd lose a hefty chunk if arod leaves. before AROD joined the network averaged $130 mil, that's less then half of what is now.
Car50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #20
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

gotta keep arod...no question ...but we can argue this all day...lol