Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-18-2006, 09:43 AM   #11
outlikealight
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Old news paper and a re-used box, was what they used. I am not going to leave any feedback. I am very pleased with the statue, I feel better getting it off my chest.

Now what else can i find on eBay
I am not quite sure what you are upset about. You got a great deal on a piece. It arrived in great condition. You knew what he was going to charge for shipping. Now he gets no feedback? How does that work. IMO he is the one getting ripped off. You should leave him the feedback unless the sdipping charges were not clearly stated.

Out
outlikealight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #12
67wm
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlikealight
I am not quite sure what you are upset about. You got a great deal on a piece. It arrived in great condition. You knew what he was going to charge for shipping. Now he gets no feedback? How does that work. IMO he is the one getting ripped off. You should leave him the feedback unless the sdipping charges were not clearly stated.

Out

I see both sides of this rant. The shipping charges were plainly stated, but it also said for Priority Mail. If it was shipped Parcel Post that is a big difference.

Also as a seller on eBay I try and list the shipping charges in my auction listings. To do this I sometimes have to guess on the weight of the item to figure the postage. When I mail the item if I am within $1 or $2, I don't worry about it. If I am over by $5 or more I will refund the difference back to the buyer with a note explaining the reason. I have never went back and tried to get more money when I underestimated. I just rack it up to experience and try and guess heavier the next time.
67wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #13
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I hear you creeper - this used to really get under my skin in my early eBay days. Now I tend to look at an items total cost (item and shipping) and decide if the total cost is worth the item. If $103 for a black full size Spidey is a good deal to you I would say you got a good deal. I would be willing to bet that if this seller listed shipping on this item for $7 shipping then the starting price would have been about $100 so it all comes out pretty even.

I pass on these type of auctions a lot but I do bid if the total cost is still low enough. Sometimes I even send an email after winning asking them for a lower shipping alternative and sometimes they agree. They probably already know how much profit on shipping they are going to make and sometimes will give some or all of the profit back (not very often but it has happened).

At least if they state the cost in the auction you are informed enough to make a decision ... it really burns my a$$ when they do not list the shipping charge and then try to screw you on a crazy shipping charge.
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #14
bomen
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:

Out
agreed. I charge top-notch for shipping, including HANDLING. but I do ship w/new box and packing, insurance, etc. But I'm tired of losing money on s/h/i. And to say "add it in sale price" doesn't cut it, market sets the demand price. I even quit taking paypal unless buyer wants to pick up fees. anymore, between ebay, paypal, and shipping, the seller is nickel-dimed.

Sellers aren't the Red Cross, folks. ..
bomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #15
TK-421
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:

Out

Is it the sellers fault that a buyer did not make a profit on what they are selling? No, it isn't. They charged me $19.99 for shipping, in the auction it states $19.99 for USPS Priority Mail.
The seller sent it to me UPSPS Parcel Post for $6.63, in a recycled box and old newpaper.
I understand using shipping and handling fees to cover ebay and paypal fees, but this is just bad business.

Regardless of the how much of deal I got on the item, it is the principle.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:02 PM   #16
outlikealight
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Is it the sellers fault that a buyer did not make a profit on what they are selling? No, it isn't. They charged me $19.99 for shipping, in the auction it states $19.99 for USPS Priority Mail.
The seller sent it to me UPSPS Parcel Post for $6.63, in a recycled box and old newpaper.
I understand using shipping and handling fees to cover ebay and paypal fees, but this is just bad business.

Regardless of the how much of deal I got on the item, it is the principle.
If he did not send it priority mail then I DO see your point. Forgive me if I misread your original post.

Out
outlikealight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #17
TK-421
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
If he did not send it priority mail then I DO see your point. Forgive me if I misread your original post.

Out

No problem. I see everyone's side and I love the statue, I guess maybe I am upset that if i did something like this, the buyer would be all over me and leave negative feedback, and my account would be closed (i am that guy that thinks the day he rides the roller coaster is the day it flies off the track into the kiddie bumper cars).

Thanks for listening and replying everyone, this forum rocks
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:09 PM   #18
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Shipping is shipping, pure and simple. I don't think you should ever charge or be charged more than the actual cost to ship something. If someone is like Bomen, and goes out and gets new boxes, packing materials, is sure to insure everything...then he is justified in charging a "high" shipping rate. If you are going to send something for $7 and are reusing materials that you didn't pay for, then you shouldn't charge more than $7. Damn, I just sent $13 back to someone in France that I overcharged for shipping, even AFTER they had already left me positive FB. It's just the right thing to do.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:32 PM   #19
rychehitman
Galactus

Creeper....first and foremost, congrats on the new addition to the collection! ITs great waking up to see you won the auction at a great price.

Sorry about the shipping cost baloney. I tend to look at the total cost when selecting the items I bid on. I know sometimes I will pass on an item completely when I see padded shipping costs.
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #20
money3
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus
Shipping is shipping, pure and simple. I don't think you should ever charge or be charged more than the actual cost to ship something. If someone is like Bomen, and goes out and gets new boxes, packing materials, is sure to insure everything...then he is justified in charging a "high" shipping rate. If you are going to send something for $7 and are reusing materials that you didn't pay for, then you shouldn't charge more than $7. Damn, I just sent $13 back to someone in France that I overcharged for shipping, even AFTER they had already left me positive FB. It's just the right thing to do.
qft

i wish more sellers adopted this attitude
money3 is offline   Reply With Quote