Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
MACATTACK
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sonic View Post
This is off subject but I wanted to chime in that I believe every piece looks better in person.

If anyone is ever on the fence about a piece see it in person first before buying, if possible. Seeing the lines of the sculpt in 3D as well as the paint tones and how the light falls on it can't be match by a photo regardless of the quality.
I am with you on that, but if, like me, you live in a country where it is pretty hard to see these statues in person and on display at your local stores if they even have it at all (I live in London UK and all I have is Forbidden Planet in Shaftesbury Avenue....If anyone knows of another store stocking these statues locally please let me know!!) then I have to rely on website photographs and reviews. My 'local' store (which is an hours journey away into central London) does have statues and busts on display, but unfortunately the stock isn't comprehensive. I've been collecting statues for almost seven years now, and in all honesty, if it wasn't for the bay, my collection would be limited to say the least. We have a site (play.com) who stock some of these statues at reasonable prices, and I rely on their pics (and reviews from our forum pals) to make an informed decision as to whether to buy or not. Unfortunately website pics do not highlight flaws (if you want to call them that) in paintwork, or show the better detail in some pieces. Reviewers tend to highlight all they can see, good and bad.

I think it's safe to assume that if everyone had the luxury of being able to view a piece before purchasing, then the scenario would probably be a lot different. I may be wrong, but I'm sure that over 50% (probably more) of statue buyers will purchase a statue based on photos and reviews, which is why many lines tend to sell out when they are pre-orders.
MACATTACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
Sgt Taz
Doom Patrol

Quote:
This is off subject but I wanted to chime in that I believe every piece looks better in person.

If anyone is ever on the fence about a piece see it in person first before buying, if possible. Seeing the lines of the sculpt in 3D as well as the paint tones and how the light falls on it can't be match by a photo regardless of the quality.
Believe it or not but I've seen pic's that look better than the real thing. Cap70, Resin Dog & P1X4R are some have done it before imo. But overall you are right, most of the time every piece looks better in person.
Sgt Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:03 PM   #13
Doc Sonic
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Taz View Post
Believe it or not but I've seen pic's that look better than the real thing. Cap70, Resin Dog & P1X4R are some have done it before imo. But overall you are right, most of the time every piece looks better in person.
I agree that some photos make a piece look better.I should qualify my statement by adding that nothing beats in-person viewing for how it's realistically going to look in your home ( for better of worse )
Doc Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:16 PM   #14
Gir
Death is hereditary.

In some cases, the forum can affect auctions. For instance, if I start a discussion about a really nice bust or statue that doesn't pop up all that often, and then a seller happens to list one on eBay shortly thereafter, the ending price will probably be higher than it otherwise would have. There are a lot of nice pieces that pass under people's radar, but if you draw attention to them on the forum, they will sell for more on eBay.
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:50 AM   #15
lovemunkey187
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTACK View Post
I am with you on that, but if, like me, you live in a country where it is pretty hard to see these statues in person and on display at your local stores if they even have it at all (I live in London UK and all I have is Forbidden Planet in Shaftesbury Avenue....If anyone knows of another store stocking these statues locally please let me know!!) then I have to rely on website photographs and reviews. My 'local' store (which is an hours journey away into central London) does have statues and busts on display, but unfortunately the stock isn't comprehensive. I've been collecting statues for almost seven years now, and in all honesty, if it wasn't for the bay, my collection would be limited to say the least. We have a site (play.com) who stock some of these statues at reasonable prices, and I rely on their pics (and reviews from our forum pals) to make an informed decision as to whether to buy or not. Unfortunately website pics do not highlight flaws (if you want to call them that) in paintwork, or show the better detail in some pieces. Reviewers tend to highlight all they can see, good and bad.

I think it's safe to assume that if everyone had the luxury of being able to view a piece before purchasing, then the scenario would probably be a lot different. I may be wrong, but I'm sure that over 50% (probably more) of statue buyers will purchase a statue based on photos and reviews, which is why many lines tend to sell out when they are pre-orders.

You should try living further North, for lack of SS, BD, etc being displayed on the shelf in stores.
lovemunkey187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:10 AM   #16
MACATTACK
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemunkey187 View Post
You should try living further North, for lack of SS, BD, etc being displayed on the shelf in stores.
I bet, it's bad enough in London (only one shop I am aware of), I do feel for the rest of you!!
MACATTACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #17
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I collect a lot of Attakus statues and I've found that no matter how good the pictures may be they never quite capture the detail I see once I have it in hand.

BTW, thanks for the Apoc bust Doc.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #18
polystoner
Sinister Six

I don't know, I think that the Sideshow Freaks forum may have more influence on SS stuff on ebay, especially with what some consider the grail pieces there:

PF Doom (like you mentioned), Grey Hulk (initially), and the Iron Man comiquettes.

In fact the recent price hike of the PF Dooms were probably driven by the spate of buyers there who had to have them in their collections now. So, yeah, I think forums do drive up a frenzy of soome determined and interested buyers, but not sure about the long term effects of the forum's influence. Gir had a very good point as well.
polystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #19
Weedo10
Hellboy

I know for a fact that a piece will probably get more buyers based on the opinions and pictures of members of this forum. I had no idea about the Snow Giants statue from Reel Art Studios until I saw it on this forum. After seeing all the pics and rave reviews I bought one. I must admit that this is an awesome piece and I am very happy with it. The forum does help others to make a somewhat informed decision on statues and busts, but what drives up the price of a piece is edition size imo. If there were 6000 pf Dooms out there Im sure the price would not be soaring to $1000. I would love to have the pf Doom and Iron Man comicquette but I missed out on preordering and no way am I paying the inflated prices now. What affects the aftermarket price is edition size and what a buyer will pay to have that "special grail piece".
Weedo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #20
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Well if it wasnt for this site I wouldnt have a lot of the statues that I do have... So yes I do think this site affects prices...

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote