risingstar
Jedi Order

Yipes...
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
dr_teng

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
agreed! Dubai as a tourist destination of the average joe will NEVER happen. But for the rich, and the surrounding nations it will always be a draw...much like Vegas in the US.
Surrounding nations perhaps, but the rich go to Vegas because there's all sorts of vices they can engage in while having a more glamourous lifestyle than normal. Good luck doing any of that in Dubai without getting a quarter of a century in jail!
Old 03-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
oddball
Kindly Asked To Leave

and who would pick dubai over vegas to vacation to?

north america has everything i'd want, from cities to mountains to rivers to oceans. lush forests, deserts, glaciers, skiing, surfing, hiking, boating, sporting events, local fairs, food....ain't no reason to go anyplace else.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
insomniac
Loki

Travel is our greatest love. We take at least one trip a year. There is just so much to experience and see. Meeting people from other countries is a great experience. I look forward to the day when we retire and dedicate more of our time to travel. Dubai is a place I would like to visit. As Bulls said you just have to respect the local customs.
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #15
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am not speaking directly about this guy..

But c'mon, if you are going to move to a foreign country for a job, you HAVE to educate yourself in the local customs, laws, etc. as to not offend people. That's just common sense. Just because America gives the "freedoms" to allow society to crumble, doesn't mean the rest of the world should.
I guess we should take away all those "freedoms".
Old 03-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #16
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Damn perverts they should be shot or at the very least beaten with a cane.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #17
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Ahhh the Arab world. Kissing in public=jailtime and blowing oneself up in public=martyrdom
tedmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #18
patrickwm68
The Flash

Quote:
agreed! Dubai as a tourist destination of the average joe will NEVER happen. But for the rich, and the surrounding nations it will always be a draw...much like Vegas in the US.
Much like Vegas? Vegas is one of the cheapest vacations you can take especially if you're not a gambler.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #19
rychehitman
Galactus

Guys, the Vegas comparison was regional. Local people in the area of Dubai will be drawn to Dubai for the spectacle.

No. I was not suggesting that people in North America would choose Dubai over Vegas.

NBR...yes, there are far too many INTERPRETATIONS of "freedoms" here in America. To ignore history is to condemn your future. The decency laws in Dubai are culturally motivated, but they work for that culture. Here in the US, everyone is so afraid of getting sued or having their “rights” infringed upon that hardly anyone is looking at the big picture anymore. The foundation of this country is cracked, and nobody seems willing to tear the systems down and rebuild anew. When China completes their global economic takeover everybody will wonder why nothing was ever done to prevent it, but won’t admit they willingly buried their heads in the sand.
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #20
dr_teng

Quote:
The decency laws in Dubai are culturally motivated, but they work for that culture.
Lots of things "work" for different cultures, doesn't make it acceptable. For example, Dubai as a city wouldn't exist without it's massive population of slave labour. Yeah, that works for their culture, doesn't mean it isn't an utterly disgusting backwards practice.