Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 01-25-2006, 09:28 PM   #11
MarkNew
Sculptor
Sculptor

I found some nice ones at Sculpturedepot.net Available in 3 sizes
15", 18" and 24". These ones are nice and sturdy.
I've got one of each size.
Heres the link.
http://www.sculpturedepot.net/html/armatures.htm
Check it out.
MarkNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:14 PM   #12
Saurons I
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNew
I found some nice ones at Sculpturedepot.net Available in 3 sizes
15", 18" and 24". These ones are nice and sturdy.
I've got one of each size.
Heres the link.
http://www.sculpturedepot.net/html/armatures.htm
Check it out.
I think I'm going to make my own from now on.
Saurons I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:40 AM   #13
Curt Chiarelli
Sculptor
Sculptor

Location: California, the world's largest outdoor free-range insane asylum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinSD
Curt,

looking at Ruben's armature support and the one's D.blick has you can see the obvious differences.

If you could make a high end armature support like that I'm sure folks would buy them. something that would last for 20 years is worth some $$ for sure.
I've been toying with the idea for a few years now. The reason why only student-grade sculpting tools are widely available (i.e. the onslaught of digital technology) will more than certainly put me at financial risk should I start a line.

Nowadays, many people (and here I do not include the members of this forum) believe that the only creative tool of consequence is a computer and if you use any of the older methods you're dismissed as a Luddite. This line of thinking is not going to go away any time soon, in spite of the informed tastes of a few cognoscenti.

Besides, I have machine tool skills and could make my own adjustable armature support, occasionally selling a few to other interested sculptors. Lacking time to actually make them myself, I could fall back on drawing up some blueprints and handing the work off to someone else. However, a large-scale manufacturing of these items would carry too many financial liabilities and provide distractions from my work as an artist.
Curt Chiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:16 AM   #14
2Bit Sculptor
Sculptor
Sculptor

stage plans

Here is a drawing of the first sculpting stage I made a few years ago, I've made simple modifications to it since, based on my experiences, but this is what I started with. Material cost was around $25.00.

Make any changes to it you need. I went with a thicker allthread cross rod (a #10, I think) with appropriate nut sizes. Later I made a tilting connector from a hacked door hinge, and recently one from 2 inch X 3/8 inch pipe nipples, 2 inch flat washers and some JB Weld, kinda like a boom mike hinge.

Chuck
2Bit Sculptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:46 AM   #15
Curt Chiarelli
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bit Sculptor
Here is a drawing of the first sculpting stage I made a few years ago, I've made simple modifications to it since, based on my experiences, but this is what I started with. Material cost was around $25.00.

Make any changes to it you need. I went with a thicker allthread cross rod (a #10, I think) with appropriate nut sizes. Later I made a tilting connector from a hacked door hinge, and recently one from 2 inch X 3/8 inch pipe nipples, 2 inch flat washers and some JB Weld, kinda like a boom mike hinge.

Chuck

Hi Chuck:

Thanks so much for going out of your way to create these drawings and posting them. It should be of great help to many of our members who enjoy sculpting.

I also see that you're new to this forum, so a hearty "welcome" is definitely in order. I checked out your website and like your sculptures - particularly the ladies!

Here's hoping that you enjoy your stay here on the forum! Take care.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:25 AM   #16
2Bit Sculptor
Sculptor
Sculptor

Thanks for the welcome Curt.... I've admired your work for quite a while... since I saw your ad in AFM.

The drawing is actually several years old, just had it laying around on my site gatherin' dust. I hope it is useful. I should update it.... someday......

Chuck
2Bit Sculptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:30 PM   #17
tarim69
Sailor Moon

OK, I realize Im a newbie here, but I did quite a bit of research on stands and came up with something super cheap, that you can make for only a few dollars with supplies I got at Lowes.

Heres some pics.

You can adjust the height very easily, by loosening and retightening the pipe clamp

tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:31 PM   #18
tarim69
Sailor Moon

Old 02-26-2006, 02:42 PM   #19
tarim69
Sailor Moon

underneath...

And to give it scale, with Bowens Grendel.....

Hope this can help someone
Old 02-26-2006, 06:42 PM   #20
Curt Chiarelli
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarim69
OK, I realize Im a newbie here, but I did quite a bit of research on stands and came up with something super cheap, that you can make for only a few dollars with supplies I got at Lowes.

Heres some pics.

You can adjust the height very easily, by loosening and retightening the pipe clamp

First up: A warm welcome to the forum is in order. All of us hope you enjoy your stay.

Also, a sincere thank you for sharing your knowledge with everyone here on the forum. With that kind of inventive spirit, there's no such thing as an obstacle that can't be overcome!