Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #11
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerboel
We had a dobe that was a great dog, had a very good disposition. He loved everyone and everything and everyone that knew him loved him, didn't have a mean bone in his body. It became apparent that he had problems from a young age. Long story short he went to several different vets including the university of Wisconsin as they had all kinds of high tech gizmos for running tests and what not. Right around his third b-day he wasn't able to keep anything down. He loved ice cubes so I tried those just to try to keep him hyrdated. That would come back up too. He spent 3 days at the vet with an IV hooked to him. They ran test after test and couldn't come up with any solid answers. The way I saw it I had no choice but to put him down as he was clearly suffering. It was really hard when they brought him into the room with us. It was clear he was happy to see us, even in his weakened condition. They asked if we wanted to be in the room with him when they did it and I thought that I couldn't leave my best friend in a room of strangers to die. It was WAY harder than I expected it to be. I cried like a baby and to be honest I'm welling up a bit recalling it right now. In the end if I had to do it all over again I would, including holding my buddy while he passed away. I think it gave him some comfort.
I know exactly how you feel. They are part of your life for so long and they totally depend on you to provide for them.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:16 PM   #12
Boerboel
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
I know exactly how you feel. They are part of your life for so long and they totally depend on you to provide for them.
For a few weeks after he passed I would come home from work and I was so used to him being there that I would actually look for him for just a second. Then I would remember that he was gone. After a while we got another dog and every once in a while I would call him by the dobe's name. Doesn't happen anymore but I will never forget Samson as he was my first dog.
Boerboel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:18 PM   #13
Deadpool
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Thank you guys for all the kind words and support, I am now off to the vet. I will post later on tonight with whatever transpires. Thanks again guys.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #14
CompEng1
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Hey bro I feel your pain. I had a rabbit once that I was very attached to. He got very ill and there was nothing the vet could do for him. I took him out to a nice green pasture, sat with him for a bit in the grass then put one behind his ear with my .22 pistol. I'm not reccomending shooting him but it would be humane to take him to the vet and have him put to sleep. Wouldn't we all want someone to do that for us if we were terminally ill and in constant pain?
CompEng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:27 PM   #15
Boerboel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool
Hey Guys, my best little buddy in the world, my 5 yr. old Guinea Pig Fred has been diagnosed with liver disease. You have no idea how attached I am to him, I love him like a son. I took him to the vet. on Tuesday and spent a large sum of money on Blood work, X-Rays, Meds., the works and he has had little to no improvement. When I awoke today I sense he is in more pain than he was clearly experiencing before, I am leaving work early to go see the vet. immediately and I feel if there is no chance of survival, I would want to put him to sleep and ease his pain. Have any of you ever had a pet euthanised, and do you feel as I, that it is better to ease his pain, than to keep him around for our own selfish reasons. Any suggestions and comments will be appreciated. Thanks guys and take care.
I don't really know anything about gp's but 5 years sounds like a pretty good run. In any case I'm sorry to hear about the little guys problems. It is easy to put our needs in front of those of our pets because we want them to be there with us. I wish you the best.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #16
Juggernaut
The Falcon

My first dog got sick beacuse of a desiease in the uterus. There was nothing the vet could do to safe my dog, so it was put to sleep with an injection.

Our dogs in my family is treated like a family member, It was very hard to say goodbye to my dog, but I would not want it to be in pain.

If yor animal is in pain, its best to say goodbye and let your animal rest in peace.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #17
Juggernaut
The Falcon

I think 5 years is a good run for a Ginea Pig. I wish you the best.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:30 PM   #18
Cage
Statueforum Consiglieri

Well I have refrained from bringing this up, but this past Tuesday (V-day) my eight year old German Shepherd Ben died suddenly. I was (and still am) heartbroken. He was a truly great Dog/friend. He was smart, fun, gentle, obedient, protective... He had gotten sick in August, but it was mostly just throwing up. We immediately took him to the vet who prescribed an antibiotic, but never changed it and the alleged virusnever went away. Ben was himself though, playing being goofy, ripping and running. In fact during the snow storm I went out to shovel and he was attacking the shovel challenging me to throw snow on him. It was horrible to awake to find him gone. He had been throwing up on Monday night, ut he still went o the park and was relatively fine. At any rate, it was and is devastating. I'm not one to question God's will, but this one is hard to reconcile. I am also not one to be prone to being down or depressed, but...this one has been the hardest and I have had dogs my whole life....anyway

To answer the question, I had to put my previous Shephard to sleep. He was a tremendous dog who's hind legs betrayed him. He was able to hang on for a while, but for his own dignity and to not be selfish, we had to put him down. Prior ot this latest experience with Ben that was hardest thing I ever had to do. I went with him, and held him and petted him when they gave him the shot. I always wondered if he thought I betrayed him, but we were keeping him alive for us. He couldn't walk and I just couldn't stand seeing this proud warrior having to lay in his own waste. Its tough to do, but sometimes it is the most merciful thing to do.

I love dogs amd always will, but I'm ready to just not have anymore, because this feeling sucks.
Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:02 PM   #19
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage
I love dogs amd always will, but I'm ready to just not have anymore, because this feeling sucks.
Sorry to hear about ur dog, Cage. It's definitely a horrible experience to lose a pet we love. After our bird died I would come home expecting to see it in it's cage to greet me everyday. There was definitely a level of emptiness being felt. We eventually got a baby chick about a week later. Not to say that it completely replaced my previous bird or ever could...but it brought some level of happiness back to an otherwise dreary feeling every day.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:28 PM   #20
Boerboel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage
Well I have refrained from bringing this up, but this past Tuesday (V-day) my eight year old German Shepherd Ben died suddenly. I was (and still am) heartbroken. He was a truly great Dog/friend. He was smart, fun, gentle, obedient, protective... He had gotten sick in August, but it was mostly just throwing up. We immediately took him to the vet who prescribed an antibiotic, but never changed it and the alleged virusnever went away. Ben was himself though, playing being goofy, ripping and running. In fact during the snow storm I went out to shovel and he was attacking the shovel challenging me to throw snow on him. It was horrible to awake to find him gone. He had been throwing up on Monday night, ut he still went o the park and was relatively fine. At any rate, it was and is devastating. I'm not one to question God's will, but this one is hard to reconcile. I am also not one to be prone to being down or depressed, but...this one has been the hardest and I have had dogs my whole life....anyway

To answer the question, I had to put my previous Shephard to sleep. He was a tremendous dog who's hind legs betrayed him. He was able to hang on for a while, but for his own dignity and to not be selfish, we had to put him down. Prior ot this latest experience with Ben that was hardest thing I ever had to do. I went with him, and held him and petted him when they gave him the shot. I always wondered if he thought I betrayed him, but we were keeping him alive for us. He couldn't walk and I just couldn't stand seeing this proud warrior having to lay in his own waste. Its tough to do, but sometimes it is the most merciful thing to do.

Sorry for your loss. I have heard some people say "its just an animal" and I could never understand that comment. I don't know how anyone could share a part of their life with any animal and not feel the way you do. Pets always seem to have a way of lifting your spirit when its low. I hope that in time you can find joy in another dog.