Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-06-2007, 10:55 AM   #11
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Even if it HD does fail, it still plays regular DVDs and its not a huge investment.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #12
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Even if it HD does fail, it still plays regular DVDs and its not a huge investment.
That true...

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #13
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
It doesn't just play regular DVDs it upconverts them and does it as well as any player out there.

Last edited by Zurbaran1; 06-06-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #14
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Exactly, and you still can play all the hi-def movies you bought. Also I didn’t go with HD-DVD because it was cheaper I did because I think they’re better and I truly believe they will win this thing. It just seems like everything is blu ray lately because of Pirates, Apocalypto and a few others. This format war is far from over. I just hope that Universal gets off their asses and starts pumping out the big guns for HD-DVD already. I can’t wait until they pull out the Jurassic Parks and the other heavy hitters and of course ……SCARFACE!!!
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #15
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Exactly, and you still can play all the hi-def movies you bought. Also I didn’t go with HD-DVD because it was cheaper I did because I think they’re better and I truly believe they will win this thing. It just seems like everything is blu ray lately because of Pirates, Apocalypto and a few others. This format war is far from over. I just hope that Universal gets off their asses and starts pumping out the big guns for HD-DVD already. I can’t wait until they pull out the Jurassic Parks and the other heavy hitters and of course ……SCARFACE!!!
Scarface on HD.... WHO GIVES A RATS ASS!!! It will be the same as the Digitally Enhanced one...

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #16
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post
I doesn't just play regular DVDs it upconverts them and does it as well as any player out there.
Your going to have to spend more than what any of the HD players cost to get a DVD player that upconverts as good as Toshibas HD players. The only DVD player that’s affordable that that does a comparable job are the Oppo players but from what I’ve read it’s still no where as good as the Toshiba. I have a upconverting player in the bedroom and it does an awesome job but when I pop a DVD in my HD player it’s a noticeable difference.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #17
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collection King 13 View Post
Scarface on HD.... WHO GIVES A RATS ASS!!! It will be the same as the Digitally Enhanced one...
Not necessarily bastich and I care beeyotch!!! Not every old movie transfers over well but allot do. They were giving Star Wars the other night on HBO HD and the picture was incredible so it’s not a guarantee that Scarface will look the same. Star Wars was what??? in 1978 and they made that one look awesome. So screw you bastich.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:36 PM   #18
CocoPUFF
ROT Minister Of Defense

so then what should i go with...before I make my move, I want to be sure.....what says you guys?!
CocoPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:49 PM   #19
bat_collector
Galactus

tell me about the up converting. So, its does this with ALL dvds?
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #20
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoPUFF View Post
so then what should i go with...before I make my move, I want to be sure.....what says you guys?!
Your not going to loose money in buying the HD-DVD player as like the guys have said it plays regular DVDs too. At close to $200 it is not a huge outlay of cash. Sony are bringing out an affordable player in June-July which will retail at $499. At those prices you could afford to dabble in both formats.

If you want to stick to one format then i would suggest you look up the film titles available to each format. Some studios like Universal are exclusive to HD-DVD while Sony, Fox and Disney/Pixar are exclusive to Blu Ray. The remaining studios appear to be neutral and provide discs for both formats.

Last edited by Bullseye; 06-06-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote