Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 04-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I think Barry might not even be human anymore kinda like Alan Scott not flesh and blood but green energy from using the lantern's power for so long.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
Makkari1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post

War of Kings #2
Marvel Comics
Written by: Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning
Drawn by: Paul Pelletier
Cover by: Brandon Peterson

And the ever loyal Guardian seems to be working extremely hard to maintain his duty to The Emperor even as Lilandra, his former Empress, is victimized by Vulcan. Will Guardian do the unthinkable, and turn on Vulcan? Too soon to tell at this point but he’s a character we all should be watching closely in this conflict. Based on the last panel of this issue, though, it may not be too soon to expect him to turn next issue.

You mean Gladiator not Guardian. I got this sense from the first issue. Glads should have taken over the Shi Ar empire long ago instead of being a loyal dupe.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin View Post
I think Barry might not even be human anymore kinda like Alan Scott not flesh and blood but green energy from using the lantern's power for so long.
You could be right... My earliest theory is that somehow Darkseid did something in FC that shook "loose the speed force" and perhaps let Barry loose as well as others caught in it... or perhaps Barry IS the speed force now and that is why everything went KABLOOEY on the last page... who the heck knows, except Johns that is
Old 04-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
protector2814
Phoenix

Great reviews as always. Thank-you. I probably should have waited 'til I burned through my stack but I just had to chime on in an the Werewolf by Night, Max book. Joe, I really think you hit the nail on the head with one of your final thoughts..."It really isn't the 70's anymore" ... and that simple statement my friend, is a situation I really need to embrace. Thankfully, this WWbN 4-parter really helped me do just that. I remember being rather urked that so much of Jack's 70's history had been wiped. I loved his original story and felt the direction this book was screaming towards was kind of wrong. Well, after reading the final part and digesting the story as a whole, I was wrong. Jack's back! and that's a good thing. I was in monster heaven for four issues and I thank Marvel Max for that. Am a bit confused over the decade projection at the end (is this now? did the story happen 10 years back? is Jack 10 years older now?) but....who the heck cares. My Werewolf roams the MU again, where he belongs. I liked that Greg Land drawn WWbN from 2 years back, maybe a new Russell can be a melding of the two versions.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #15
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkari1 View Post
You mean Gladiator not Guardian. I got this sense from the first issue. Glads should have taken over the Shi Ar empire long ago instead of being a loyal dupe.
Yes, right. Sorry, this is what happens when I write these reviews at 11:30 at night...I'll fix it.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
Makkari1
Cyclops

Quote:
Yes, right. Sorry, this is what happens when I write these reviews at 11:30 at night...I'll fix it.
I can totally relate to that, since I help my kids with their homework late in the evening and even simple math becomes very hard.

After I read the first issue of War of the Kings, I got the sense that Vulcan will do something so repulsive that even Gladiator could not stand by and be a loyal idiot to the end. I often wondered why he didn't take over the Shi Ar Empire long ago. So far Lilandra and her kin have been total disappointments.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #17
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Joe, I really think you hit the nail on the head with one of your final thoughts..."It really isn't the 70's anymore" ... and that simple statement my friend, is a situation I really need to embrace. Thankfully, this WWbN 4-parter really helped me do just that...
Glad you liked this book so much, too, Protector...being a fellow Marvel Monster lover. It did take a while for me to warm up to this version of WWbN but realizing Marvel was writing maybe to draw in a new audience, I think, allows license to retcon Jack's history a bit. Taken on it's own merits, this is a werewolf story a monster fan can really love. Plus, I absolutely loved the message, "I'm coming for you, Daddy" at the end!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #18
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Neil, we have no idea at this point what brought Flash back. To me, the confusing thing is that in Crisis on Infinite Earths we saw his body decompose to skeletal form but now we're being told he was absorbed by the Speed Force. We don't know what it was that brought him back, and even Barry Allen doesn't know.

We can only hope Johns will make this clear as the mini series goes on.

I'm a bit bewildered and even frustrated by this right now. But, it's the first issue and it's Johns who's writing it. So, I'm going to continue to buy and read in good faith that this'll be made clear.
Spoilers...

I'm pretty sure we'll find out why Barry came back when we get answers to why Savitar & the black speedster came out of the speedforce as well. I have total faith that my boy Geoff will clear up everything.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #19
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
Spoilers...

I'm pretty sure we'll find out why Barry came back when we get answers to why Savitar & the black speedster came out of the speedforce as well. I have total faith that my boy Geoff will clear up everything.
I couldn't agree more... if you said "my boy Morrison"... I might have banned you
Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #20
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg59 View Post
I couldn't agree more... if you said "my boy Morrison"... I might have banned you
Keith, you being a big fan of Johns' Green Lantern run, do you have anything to add to my Sinestro Corps War vols 1 & 2 review?