Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Digital Photography

Old 05-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #11
Kujo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Which rebel are you thinking of getting? the XT/XTi/XSi?

I used to have the XTi/400D and the lens kit on there isn't too bad. Its a little short (18-55mm) so I would recommend getting something a little longer as well. When i first got mine I got the Tamron 70-300mm which is farily cheap. Its not a great lens, but it serves its purpose until you can invest in something better.
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
IronFist
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

I was looking at the XSi, but I've considered bumping that up to the T1i.

Basic question: Can you tell me what you mean by a short or a long lens? I have no idea what that means.
IronFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #13
mongobredboy
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Though a long read, this may help you

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/
mongobredboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
dr_teng

One of the best regular range lenses you can get for an affordable price is the Tamron AF 28-75. You can check lens reviews for all sorts of lenses over at dpreview. I used to use that as my general walkaround lens and I was super happy with it.

Personally, I'd recommend the XSi over the T1i. Buying a camera right when it comes out usually isn't worth it, considering the huge amount that slightly older cameras sell for. I use the XSi myself and I'm quite happy with it.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #15
Kujo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

As I said above, I had the 400D/XTi and that was a very good camera, and from what I've heard the XSi the as good but with more features (live view, higher megapixel, DIGIC III for faster processing etc)
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #16
IronFist

After a little more reading today, the 450D/XSi is back at the top of my list. That seems to be the body issue out of the way. Now I just need to figure out what len(es) to pick up with it. A couple suggestions from you guys on this thread sound really enticing, but with my lowly beginner's knowledge, it's hard to nail down exactly what will work best for me.

The more I read, the more I feel like my head's gonna explode.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #17
IronFist

I see a package deal at a lot of places for an XSi with a 18-55mm IS and a 55-250 IS telephoto... Perhaps a good place for a beginner to start? I don't want to get crappy pics while on vacation because I picked u0p the wrong gear.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #18
dr_teng

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
I see a package deal at a lot of places for an XSi with a 18-55mm IS and a 55-250 IS telephoto... Perhaps a good place for a beginner to start? I don't want to get crappy pics while on vacation because I picked u0p the wrong gear.
They're both fine lenses, not great, but they're indeed a good place to start especially if you get a nice deal. They'll take nice pictures.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #19
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
After a little more reading today, the 450D/XSi is back at the top of my list. That seems to be the body issue out of the way. Now I just need to figure out what len(es) to pick up with it. A couple suggestions from you guys on this thread sound really enticing, but with my lowly beginner's knowledge, it's hard to nail down exactly what will work best for me.

The more I read, the more I feel like my head's gonna explode.
Do yourself a favor and head over to dpreview.com. It's a great photography site with a tremendous amount of information available. They have extensive discussion forums and there you can find a beginners area where you can post your questions and get good feedback from some very knowledgeable people.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #20
IronFist

Well, I went with the XSi package I mentioned. Thanks guys. Hopefully, I'll do you proud.